ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 01-18-14, 05:33 PM

tiredmom22 is on a distinguished road
started strattera today, side effect already?

Hello,
My 12 year old son started strattera today (18mg). 2 hours after taking it he told me he felt depressed, he has been angry, bored and depressed all day. Yesterday he was hyper and bouncing off the walls, but at least happier......has anyone had a similar experience? Or maybe he's just coincidentally having a bad day? I thought it would take a number of weeks to see an effect, but perhaps if it's a true side effect it shows up very quickly?
The Following User Says Thank You to tiredmom22 For This Useful Post:
messyme (02-16-14)
Old 01-19-14, 06:33 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,457 Times in 14,482 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: started strattera today, side effect already?

Stratterra was first made to treat depression because it was an antidepressant. somewhere long the line it was discovered that it could treat adhd. But it makes sense that it could be affecting his mood so much considering what it was origionally made to do.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
messyme (02-16-14)
Old 01-19-14, 10:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,016 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute

Did you give in the morning or evening?
The Following User Says Thank You to LynneC For This Useful Post:
messyme (02-16-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-14, 11:44 AM

I gave it to him in the morning with breakfast.....
messyme (02-16-14)
Old 01-19-14, 02:36 PM
Contributor

tripleE is a name known to alltripleE is a name known to alltripleE is a name known to alltripleE is a name known to alltripleE is a name known to alltripleE is a name known to all

My DD was the same. I think our trial lasted about a week? She was sad and angry but for no reason that she could think of or that I could see. She was quiet, and said she felt foggy and unfocused. Her stomach was upset.

I read that with Straterra most people give it a few weeks to build up and even out, however in our case my DD's psychiatrist pulled her off it as soon as she heard the side effects.

Just our experience - fwiw.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tripleE For This Useful Post:
LynneC (01-19-14), messyme (02-16-14), tiredmom22 (01-19-14)
Old 01-19-14, 08:30 PM

He seems not quite as down today. Definitely more subdued than usual though....
messyme (02-16-14)
Old 01-19-14, 09:04 PM
Jr Member

jojo4321 is on a distinguished road

This is very interesting. My daughter started on straterra about 2 months ago, but we just took her off of it 2 weeks ago. During the time she was on it (about 6 weeks), she was extremely moody, easily frustrated, and sad a lot of the time. She also experienced a lot of stomach pain and nausea, to the point that she missed school a lot of the time. I don't know that all these symptoms were due to the medication, but we still decided to take her off. I guess it works well for some, but not for others.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jojo4321 For This Useful Post:
LynneC (01-20-14), messyme (02-16-14), tripleE (01-20-14)
Old 01-20-14, 07:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,016 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmom22 View Post
I gave it to him in the morning with breakfast.....
You may want to give it to him in the evening during the titration period. Strattera needs to build up in his system before it is effective.
Giving in the evening may minimize side effects since he will likely sleep through them.

If he continues to have the side effects let his doc know.
The Following User Says Thank You to LynneC For This Useful Post:
messyme (02-16-14)
Old 01-27-14, 06:30 PM

DonnaAnne is on a distinguished road

Strattera was my son's first ADHD med. He took it for a couple a weeks and we took him off because it made him very angry. This was 10 years ago.
The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaAnne For This Useful Post:
messyme (02-16-14)
Old 02-16-14, 10:43 AM

Mantaray14 is a jewel in the roughMantaray14 is a jewel in the roughMantaray14 is a jewel in the rough

Strattera was our first ADD med as well. It was our first choice because were very reluctant to give our son stimulants and Strattera is marketed as a "non stimulant" alternative.
Our son is mostly inattentive and little impulsive sometimes. Strattera only made him slightly less impulsive but had zero (and his teacher told us numerous times) affect on his ability to concentrate in school and the whole situation was getting progressively worse both academically and socially.

After we finally gave in and put him on a stimulant, he improved instantly. Like in a one day. His teacher was ecstatic. That was months ago and we haven't looked back. On top of that, he actually had much LESS side affects on the stimulants.

I know everyone is different, and these medications can vary a lot from person to person. But I have to question Strattera a bit. It is documented to work in much less percentage of cases of than stimulant based meds, and seems to have more side effects (some severe ones if you Google strattera). I felt like it seemed like a good alternative on paper for parents who are hesitant to use stimulants, but it just dragged out our ordeal for an extra 3 months.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mantaray14 For This Useful Post:
messyme (02-16-14), tripleE (02-18-14)
Old 04-06-14, 06:22 PM

ClassicGirl is on a distinguished road

Strattera was the worst of the worst adhd meds we tried! Stole her personality
Old 04-06-14, 07:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

psychological1 is just really nicepsychological1 is just really nicepsychological1 is just really nicepsychological1 is just really nice

Strattera was horrendous for me. Anger, fuzzy feeling, tiredness, depression. Many people have similar reactions.
Old 03-29-18, 05:30 AM

Jonny8888 is on a distinguished road

I recently started straterra 60MG. For first few days side effects were very harsh, felt weird and had terrible nausea and bad mood. Most sides are gone now, all that remains is stomach problems but i suspect that will subside with time. Will probably take around a week for side effects to start to calm down.
Old 04-23-18, 10:11 AM

oldtimer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaray14 View Post
Strattera was our first ADD med as well. It was our first choice because were very reluctant to give our son stimulants and Strattera is marketed as a "non stimulant" alternative.
Our son is mostly inattentive and little impulsive sometimes. Strattera only made him slightly less impulsive but had zero (and his teacher told us numerous times) affect on his ability to concentrate in school and the whole situation was getting progressively worse both academically and socially.

After we finally gave in and put him on a stimulant, he improved instantly. Like in a one day. His teacher was ecstatic. That was months ago and we haven't looked back. On top of that, he actually had much LESS side affects on the stimulants.

I know everyone is different, and these medications can vary a lot from person to person. But I have to question Strattera a bit. It is documented to work in much less percentage of cases of than stimulant based meds, and seems to have more side effects (some severe ones if you Google strattera). I felt like it seemed like a good alternative on paper for parents who are hesitant to use stimulants, but it just dragged out our ordeal for an extra 3 months.
Why are you against stimulants? They are the most predictable and controlled of all the meds. You opted to change the way your child's brain functions over a simple stimulant. Stimulants can make an Inattentive ADD brain function normally. This is done monitoring brain function by oxygen usage. Normally doesn't mean that their brain is high.
Old 04-27-18, 03:01 PM
Jr Member

andiemarie is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: started strattera today, side effect already?

We started my six year old son on Strattera (25mg) six months ago. He isn't able to articulate how it makes him feel other than if he doesn't eat a enough at breakfast when he takes it, he gets nauseous. It took about 4-6 weeks for us to notice a difference, I wanted to give it a good chance before taking him off it as we had tried a stimulant (biphentin) for a few months that just made him very anxious, aggressive and emotional.
While we don't notice a big difference, i would say it is helping a bit. The psychiatrist thinks it probably is helping as well, and explained strattera was weaker than stimulant but works the same way. He is a little bit more calm, yet he is still anxious, can still explode in anger and is still emotional. I can't tell if it is a side effect or just his personality. It is so hard to know at his age how this is affecting him. He does get nauseous if he doesn't eat enough breakfast as he takes it in the AM. He also lost his appetite which has been a huge struggle.
We recently started a tiny dose of adderral to his strattera to see if it helped. I found him to be agitated and more angry and emotional so i stopped it right away. It was just too much, he was eating less and that also added to him being angry or shall I say "Hangry" as he wasn't getting enough food.
We plan on taking him off strattera during summer and possibly trying prozac as we are not sure if his anxiety is more of the problem than his adhd hyper unfocussed issues.
I am hoping that we can help figure this medication situation out, otherwise I rather not have him on anything at all if its not helping.