ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 02-27-18, 04:33 PM

mogston is on a distinguished road
Question My child switching from Concerta to Vyvanse?

Hi
My son (8 years old) has ADHD and is on his second round of medication. First he was taking Biphentin 10mg, then upped to 20mg, which causes his heart to race, and spontaneous erections. Then our Dr switched him to Concerta 18mg (both methyphenidate class), and just recently he was upped to 27mg. Even with the increase his teachers have not seen a change, he is still losing a large amount of focus in class the afternoons. So today his Dr is asking if we want to move over to Vyvanse (amphetamine class), and I am reaching out to anyone that has done this. I am looking for the positive and negatives of switching from a personal and possible a medical point of view.
Old 03-02-18, 06:14 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,435 Times in 14,467 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My child switching from Concerta to Vyvanse?

Kids and people that do not do well on the methylphenidate class of drugs often do well with amphetamines so I think its worth a shot. I never did well with ritalin but always did well with dex and adderall.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-20-18)
Old 03-20-18, 06:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,562 Times in 1,202 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Only move is trial and error.

No good research on who will respond well to what medication. That's why many of us end up trying multiple medications and doses ... To complicate matters even more ... your reactions to a med can change over time. I had a weird response to Adderall when I first took it. Years later, I got on Adderall again, and totally different and better response.

And ... it's possible to have not see much good effect with one med in the methylphenidate (Ritalin) family ... and yet, have a good effect with another med in the same family ... though technically those are supposedly the same meds.

Same with the amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Dexedrine) class of meds. Lots of people find a med they prefer within this class.

Vyvanse ... you'll just have to try it and see ... It definitely helped my focus.

Unless you son was having bad side effects, I wonder why the doc didn't try 36mg or 54mg with Concerta ... Even slight changes in doses can make all the difference.

So the downside of switching to Vyvanse is you don't get to see if he has a better response to 36mg and 54mg of Concerta ... It can be strange to skip that step and in 5 years discover that 54mg Concerta was a magical dose. But if you do go to Vyvanse, just put an asterisk in your mind that you might wanna come back at a later point and try the higher dosages of Concerta ...

The 36mg and the 54mg of Concerta were great for me ... the 27mg so so.

Sorry for the trial and error process ... that's just where the science is right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-20-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-18, 06:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,450 Times in 11,835 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogston View Post
Hi
My son (8 years old) has ADHD and is on his second round of medication. First he was taking Biphentin 10mg, then upped to 20mg, which causes his heart to race, and spontaneous erections. Then our Dr switched him to Concerta 18mg (both methyphenidate class), and just recently he was upped to 27mg.

Even with the increase his teachers have not seen a change, he is still losing a large amount of focus in class the afternoons.

So today his Dr is asking if we want to move over to Vyvanse (amphetamine class), and I am reaching out to anyone that has done this. I am looking for the positive and negatives of switching from a personal and possible a medical point of view.
Does the bolded sentence mean that your son has acceptable focus in the
morning that then falls of in the afternoon?

My granddaughter had that experience with Concerta. It worked very well
for her for 5 or 6 hours, nowhere near the 10 to 12 hours the manufacturer
claims it works.

The doctor first increased her dose so she was taking 72 mg but the duration
was still not a full 7 hours of school.

I wanted her doctor to give her a booster dose of Ritalin to finish the school
day and handle any homework she was given, but instead the doctor switched
her to Vyvanse.

For her personally, that was a nightmare. I don't know if she was actually
allergic to Vyvanse or simply had a bunch of awful side effects, but at that
point she pretty much gave up on any stimulant meds.

In my opinion, if a med is helping without any awful side effects, tinker with
the dose and the timing of doses. If XR Concerta doesn't last long enough,
try a booster dose of Ritalin at lunch time . . . or try 3 or 4 doses of Ritalin IR
during the day.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 05-01-18, 12:44 AM

ryanolivas is on a distinguished road

don't know much about this but one thing I am sure of is that this meds has side effects. Do some research first of the possible risks that might happen before agreeing unto it. Hopefully, your kid is okay.
Old 05-10-18, 01:32 AM

natnatroswell22 is on a distinguished road

Hopefully, your kid is okay now. Just always visit the doctor or do a weekly health check up for him upon taking the meds. Yes, that could actually fall on trial and error and that's risky for his health condition.