ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-05, 05:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

ramzax is on a distinguished road
DMAE or not to take DMAE

anyone with experience for vitamin supplements?
Old 01-30-05, 10:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

Swamp Donkey is on a distinguished road
What's DMAE?
Ever been out in the woods and felt like you were being watched?
** Photo taken March 1999 near The Forks, Maine.**
Old 01-30-05, 11:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

lilthingsADDup is an unknown quantity at this point
DMAE is Dimethylaminoethanol.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-05, 02:11 AM

Thorkitty has disabled reputation
Dmae and muscle cramps

DMAE caused major irritability and agressiveness and bad bad muscle cramps in me. I read somewhere that it doesnt acually treat ADD but just helps out with memory a bit. I got the bad without the good I guess.
Old 02-02-05, 02:06 PM

3ALLADD is on a distinguished road
I was reading about it somewhere, and decided to go buy some. Luckilly I only paid $2.50 for the bottle, because when I got home and read the possible side effects, I threw it out. There were so many, that I decided that there were far too many risks. I would only consider taking it, if my doctor prescribed it.
Old 11-06-05, 12:03 PM

cynthiatweedle is on a distinguished road
DMAE probably works better for ADHD than ADD because it works as a stimulant.
Old 11-06-05, 03:23 PM

Thanked 10,056 Times in 3,166 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
Could you please post a mainstrem reference on that ?

Unless there's been a breakthrough research study recently that I've somehow missed, the research over the last 30+ years does NOT support the use of ANY supplement for the clinical treatment of ADHD.
Old 11-06-05, 03:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,789 Times in 1,932 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
This cyclical reappearance of alternative cures has reminded of a once overused medical procedure which I was surprised to discover is still used today. The once popular cure-all procedure of bleeding a patient for a multitude of ailments is now known to have been useless, if not dangerous, to the victims of another era. I was surprised to read that "bleeding" is still used successfully for people with an iron overload condition called Hemochromatosis.

Phaedrus

Old 11-07-05, 02:07 AM

Dmae

For DMAE as a stimulant see:

http://www.vrp.com/art/669.asp
DMAE is a mild cerebral stimulant, which was at one time approved by the FDA as being possibly effective for the following conditions:
  1. Learning problems associated with underachieving and shortened attention span.
  2. Behavior problems associated with hyperactivity.
  3. Combined hyperkinetic behavior and learning disorders with underachieving, reading and speech difficulties, impaired motor coordination, and impulsive/compulsive behavior, often described as asocial, antisocial, or delinquent.
The learning problems mentioned above, although usually childhood disorders, are also not infrequently seen in adults. They are usually treated with much more potent and addictive amphetamines (like Ritalin). DMAE is a safe and non-addictive form of therapy for these conditions. DMAE produces a mild stimulant effect, which develops slowly over a period of several weeks. There is no drug-like letdown or depression if the substance is discontinued. (22)

DMAE for Adult and Childhood Learning Disorders
For those children and adults who suffer from ADD, ADHD, and other learning disorders (and even for those who dont) I recommend DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol). DMAE has been used for years to improve behavioral disorders in children, and may have positive effects on intelligence and grades as well.

Another website: http://intelegen.com/nutrients/dmae_...ncing_life.htm

This may be an old remedy but it is worth a try I think.[img]images/icons/icon11.gif[/img]

Last edited by cynthiatweedle; 11-07-05 at 02:19 AM.. Reason: To add a website
Old 11-07-05, 02:37 AM

Another website about DMAE

http://www.life-enhancement.com/LE/a...int.asp?ID=105

Brain Function Enhancement
DMAE is normally present in small amounts in our brains. When supplemental amounts are used, the brain-function enhancement effects are remarkable. DMAE is a naturally-occurring nutrient found in seafood such as anchovies and sardines.1 Perhaps this explains why fish has often been called brain food.

Throughout the scientific literature, DMAE has been reported as helping to elevate mood, improve memory and learning, heighten intelligence, increase physical energy and, in laboratory animals, extend the life span. It is used by many people for its mild, safe, stimulant effect, and yet DMAE also makes it easier for most people to get to sleep and to have more lucid dreams.2 Many people report less fatigue in the day and sounder sleep at night, as well as needing less sleep when taking DMAE.

The stimulant effect of DMAE is significantly different from that produced by coffee, amphetamines, or other stimulant drugs: DMAE does not have a drug-like quick pick-up and quick come-down. People who take DMAE have reported that after three to four weeks they feel a mild stimulation continually, without side effects. Also, when DMAE is discontinued, no depression or letdown occurs.
Old 12-05-05, 01:41 AM

Dmae

About a month ago, I started my granddaughter who has ADHD on DMAE and phosphatidyserine. It's working. No doubt it does not compare to medication, but there are noticeable differences in her behavior and memory at home and at school. She is still an active child but now has control over her behavior that use to have her in trouble all the time at school.
Old 03-03-13, 07:46 AM

Thanked 1,311 Times in 537 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DMAE or not to take DMAE

It worked for me for a while. I never really nailed down a correct dose, so I can only say it was sporadic but definitely noticeable.

I'm not really one to fall for the placebo effect as I tend to take supplements like dmae compulsively and forget I even took them. I have to log my stimulant medication or things I need to watch my daily dose on or else I forget entirely I took anything.

What I noticed on DMAE was a solid line of focus, improved mood and ability to exercise more. I don't know why I stopped, perhaps I just ran out lol.

I'm going back on it as I'm mostly just tired of adderall and other stimulants. They calm me down but I feel like i'm in my own world on em. Where i'm only focused on one thing at a time.

I remember one day I took DMAE, I got the most focus and clarity i've ever gotten in my life. Not sure what dose, I just am pretty sure it was a lot lol. Compared to Adderall or Dexedrine or vyvanse Dmae has helped me more in that it gets me half way to where I want to be and I have to climb for the rest.

Adderall or dexedrine kind of make me feel like a baby being handed a lollypop and I don't have to work for anything. I see no challenge in anything so I never try. I end up over depending on my meds and it makes life boring.
Old 10-07-17, 04:15 AM
Jr Member

TK1991 is on a distinguished road
Re: DMAE or not to take DMAE

HI, I am interesting in DMAE, is here anyone who has any experiences with DMAE? thanks