ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Personality Disorders
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-17, 04:15 PM

Thanked 31,830 Times in 14,336 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: sometimes I wonder why I'm "ADHD"...

thread closed for review.

cheers,
-peri
Old 10-25-17, 09:37 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,058 Times in 9,325 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

Thread reopened.
Old 10-25-17, 09:42 PM
I eat shades of red.

Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

And re the thread's topic, I think anyone who is out there armchair diagnosing people with personality disorders, especially based on brief encounters, needs to seriously rethink their approach to interpersonal interactions, because there is no way your assessment can possibly be accurate. You can't just say "this person is sexual, thus hypersexual (first wrong assessment), thus histrionic (second even more wrong assessment)."

If you were a psychiatrist or psychologist this would be hugely unethical. Not that not being either makes it ethical, just that you'd be violating all kinds of professional standards.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
aeon (10-25-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-17, 09:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,676 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post
If you were a psychiatrist or psychologist this would be hugely unethical. Not that not being either makes it ethical, just that you'd be violating all kinds of professional standards.
Perhaps. But psychiatrists and psychologists are also individuals who approach what is considered "fact" in the medical field from their own angle. Two different "professionals" in the same field can judge the exact same person differently.
Old 10-25-17, 10:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,868 Times in 11,047 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by baical View Post
I hope I can make you understand;

Here goes: the title of the thread is meant to be a hyperbole!
Perhaps this was obvious to other readers, but I am clueless as to how one
was supposed to understand that you meant your post as hyperbole.

Do you mean you don't really wonder why you've been diagnosed with adhd?

Quote:
Considering it is in the "Personality Disorder" thread. I meant to speak of that disorder, not so much ADHD itself. Just upon observations of people and their behaviour, one with enough common sense can figure out what could possible be wrong with them. Ex: if one walks around with a limp, does it mean the person has polio? It's possible. But if you did some serious observation and realized the person was actually an athlete in school, THEN you could imply the person must have sprained his ankle? Right?
It seems that you left some information out of your original post about when
and where you had given these students some serious observation and not
just overheard them talking at a party.

It appears you're upset that those of us who responded didn't understand
either of these two points. Perhaps the problem was not in our inability to
comprehend, but in your ability to communicate.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 10-26-17, 03:01 PM
I eat shades of red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Perhaps. But psychiatrists and psychologists are also individuals who approach what is considered "fact" in the medical field from their own angle. Two different "professionals" in the same field can judge the exact same person differently.
This is true but it doesn't actually contradict or rebut what I said. If anything, it reinforces it.