ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips > Household Tips and Tricks
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-17, 05:54 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,818 Times in 658 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute
Organizing my home

I am trying to organize my home now. Right now it is not a terrible mess, but it can quickly become a mess and it often does. Many of you probably know what that's like; clothes on the floor, food packaging on my desk and floor, books everywhere, dishes everywhere, paper everywhere, etc. And some boxes with random stuff, that I put into it whenever I needed to quickly organize (when getting visitors). The key issue is that I don't have the habit of organizing after I did something - putting the thing I used back, doing my dishes after eating (or at least at the end of the day), getting rid of garbage and so forth.

There is something positive: most of the things I have do have a designated place. This is a success from the previous time that I organized my home. So, I just need to put everything back and clean all the surfaces.

I think if I spend 5 hours that I can get it in basic order, and in 10 I can get it really nice. That is something that I want to do this week. It is my #1 priority in my free time this week.

After that, I hope to learn to keep it organized. I will do it in the following way (based on previous experience):

1. I aim to spend 5 minutes every day (right after work) to organize my home. This is small, so that I can motivate myself to do it. If I feel like it I will do more, but if not it's fine if I go do something else.
2. I will make a to-do list for my daily cleaning. It will contain some tasks that I will do every day (do dishes, remove clothes, remove garbage, etc), and some that I will do on set days of the week. The goal (at first) is not to finish this list, but to have a guideline; I don't have to think about what I should do, I can just follow the list, making it easier to get started. And I know that if I follow the list that I can keep everything in order.
3. I will gradually beautify my room over the next weeks and months. Living in an organized room is a much better experience than a chaotic one already, but if I also make it beautiful then it becomes even nicer, and I that it also helps me stick with the organization. This includes hanging some things on the wall, buying some plants, etc.
4. I will not set too many other goals so that I don't stress myself out and give up on this goal. I think this is the main reason why I always fell back.

It's a challenge to get the basic organization done, but I am sure that I can handle it. However, the biggest challenge will be to keep my room organized for more than a few weeks. I hope that I am able to do it. I will post my progress here.

Tips and tricks are always welcome! Thanks for reading!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (11-12-17)