ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 11-11-17, 01:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mildadhd has disabled reputation
Involuntary Motivation

This thread is meant to explore types of involuntary motivation associated with our positive feeling, primary emotional-affective response systems; SEEKING, CARE and PLAY.

M
Old 11-11-17, 02:43 AM

Re: Involuntary Motivation

In this post are quotes by Temple Grandin and Catherine Johnson summarizing some primary positive feeling sources of involuntary motivation; the SEEKING system, the CARE system and the PLAY system.

Quote:
Quote:
SEEKING: Dr. Panksepp says SEEKING is "the basic impulse to search, investigate, and make sense of the environment."

SEEKING is a combination of emotions people usually think of as being different: wanting something really good, looking forward to getting something really good, and curiosity, which most people probably don't think of as being emotion at all.(*6)
Quote:
The wanting part of SEEKING gives you the energy to go after your goals, which can be anything from food, shelter, and sex to knowledge, a new car, or fame and fortune.

When a cat stalks a mouse, its actions are driven by the SEEKING system.
Quote:
The looking-forward part of SEEKING is the Christmas emotion.

When kids see all the presents under the Christmas tree, their SEEKING system goes into overdrive.
Quote:
Curiosity is related to novelty.

I think the orientating response is the first stage of SEEKING because it is attracted to novelty.

When a deer or a dog hears a strange noise, he turns his head, looks and pauses.

During the pause, the animal decides, Do I keep SEEKING, run away in fear, or attack?

New things stimulate the curiosity part of the SEEKING system.

Even when people are curious about something familiar--like behaviorist being curious about animals, for instance-- they can only be curious about some aspect they don't understand.

They are SEEKING and explanation that they don't have yet.

SEEKING is always about something you don't have yet, whether it's food and shelter or Christmas presents or a way to understand animal welfare.
Quote:
SEEKING is a very pleasurable emotion.

If you implant electrodes into the SEEKING system of an animal's brain, it will press a lever to turn the current on.

Animals like to self-stimulate the SEEKING system so much that for a long time researchers thought the SEEKING system was the brain's "pleasure center," and some people still talk that way.(*7)

But the pleasure people feel when their SEEKING system is stimulated is the pleasure of looking forward to something good, not the pleasure of having something good.(*8)
Quote:
SEEKING might be a kind of master emotion.

Jaak Panksepp says that SEEKING could be a "generalized platform for the expression of many of the basic emotional processes...It is the one system that helps animals anticipate all types of rewards." (*9)

It's possible the SEEKING system helps you anticipate bad things, too.

There is new research showing that one area of the nucleus acumbens, which is part of the SEEKING system, responds to negative stimuli the animal is afraid of. (10*).

The SEEKING system might turn out to be an all purpose emotion engine that produces both positive and negative motivations to approach or avoid.

But until researchers learn more, SEEKING means the positive emotions of wanting, looking forward to, or being curious about something, and that's the way I will be using the term in this book.

SEEKING feels good...
Quote:
...CARE: CARE is Dr.Panksepp's term for maternal love and caretaking.(*14)

Quote:
PLAY: PLAY is the brain system that produces the kind of roughhousing play all young animals and humans do at the same stage in their development.

The parts of the brain that motivate PLAY are in the subcortex.(*15)

No one understands the nature of playing or the PLAY system in the brain well yet, although we do know that play behavior is probably a sign of good welfare, because an animal that's depressed, frightened, or angry doesn't play.

The PLAY system produces feelings of joy.

-Temple Grandin & Catherine Johnson: "Animals Make Us Human", (Chapter 1, What Do Animals Need?), P 7-9.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 11-11-17 at 03:01 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (11-11-17)
Old 11-11-17, 10:32 AM
Contributor

WhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to behold

This is very interesting. I know that I am constantly finding myself wanting to look up random info on the net, just because it pops into my head and I'm curious about it, even though the knowledge is not essential to my life. Like, when I'm reading a book and something interests me and strikes this intense need to know more about it, so then I start going down a rabbit hole of reading all I can about it. The problem is, I never have enough time to research one thing long enough to satiate my curiosity, before I'm over that thing and on to the next. And what good does all this do me?
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (11-11-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-17, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOwl View Post
This is very interesting. I know that I am constantly finding myself wanting to look up random info on the net, just because it pops into my head and I'm curious about it, even though the knowledge is not essential to my life. Like, when I'm reading a book and something interests me and strikes this intense need to know more about it...
There is lots of reasons to know more about the opening post topics.

One Example:

Helps us scientifically understand partially why so many of us humans, in this modern world, are so addicted to our iPhones

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 11-11-17 at 06:10 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (11-11-17)
Old 11-11-17, 05:57 PM

Thanked 19,281 Times in 10,250 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not cool enough for an I Phone.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (11-11-17)
Old 11-14-17, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
I'm not cool enough for an I Phone.
What temperature does a person need to be for an iPhone?

M
WhiteOwl (11-15-17)