ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Exercise
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-17, 01:17 PM
Contributor

WhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to behold
What are your favorite exercise routines?

Do you have any favorite You Tube videos or just a routine that you do for cardio and building tone? I've started doing a 10 min. intense abs routine that I found on You Tube and I wanted to set up a routine where I alternate between abs, thighs, etc. This has always been a weak area for me (get it?).

Also, any routine for cardio? I used to hate jogging because I always felt like I was having an asthma attack when I jogged, gasping for breath. I was even tested for exercise-induced asthma, but they said I don't have it. However, since moving here, I actually enjoy jogging and don't get out of breath. But I've heard jogging is bad for your joints and everything long term and I'm worried about injuring myself. I've heard brisk walking can be enough cardio?

Any thoughts on this? Do you walk? Jog? What's your routine?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (10-28-17), mildadhd (10-29-17), peripatetic (10-28-17)
Old 10-28-17, 01:24 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 19,891 Times in 11,560 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are your favorite exercise routines?

Unsure if it counts, but I do a lot of walking around at work (fast walking)
Ebony (1st January 2014 - current)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm
Hope you all have a beautiful day
"Keep your dreams alive, dreaming is still how the strong survive" Oliver and Company (Disney)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnightstar For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-29-17), WhiteOwl (10-28-17)
Old 10-28-17, 02:09 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,670 Times in 8,847 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I stretch some each morning before getting out of bed (or once I return to bed after having to run to the loo....lol) and do some breathing techniques (diaphragmatic, counted, and alternate nostril) to oxygenate my cells.

A mini-trampoline (a gently used Urban Rebounder I scored after posting a wanted ad on craigslist for a mini-tramp) that I can run/jump/bounce/do stretches/sit ups/etc. on, both indoors and out, is my next stop in the purposeful movement flow of my day. It's low impact on my already achy joints and it keeps lymph fluids flowing nicely.

Hula hoops that I made/make (from pvc irrigation tubing that comes in 100 ft. rolls), both for waist hooping and smaller ones for arm hooping. It took two weeks of practicing each day for at least 20 minutes after I lost my first 50 lbs. to finally keep the damn thing up, but oh what fun trying was before it finally took. lol Then I took a hula hoop dance class and learned a few moves that make me feel like I know what I'm doing. lol Then I took an online class to learn how to teach kids/design parties/etc. and have had fun sharing them in some form or fashion ever since.

Along with random sporadic dance moves throughout the day and nature walks every chance I get. (a little over 2.5 yrs. ago, I weighed over 300 lbs. and was damn near bed ridden)

I also have an aerobic exerciser thingy that my mom passed on to me years ago that looks like a bike, sort of, but isn't. You push your feet at the same time you pull the handlebars back. With the right song, even it can be kind of fun.

All my stuff was found used, made myself, or given to me free of charge and is now part of my living room decor. I have to keep it fun and readily accessible, or it likely won't happen.

Qi gong and tai chi are pretty cool, too, but I haven't dabbled too deeply in either, yet.

I realized this past born day that I finally qualify for the 50 and over exercise classes through the rec. dept. lol I think they call them silver sneakers or something like that. Hahahahaha!!! Yay! I finally grew into my level of physical functioning. It's a damn good thing, because those other classes about to kill me. lol

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-17, 07:40 PM

Thanked 31,680 Times in 14,249 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

well, i run trails, so maybe not your favourite... but running trails to me is totally different from jogging (especially on sidewalks/roads). i usually run for about an hour, which, for me, is roughly seven miles. and i run most days of the week. usually in the pre crack of dawn...i get up and out the door immediately...usually starting around five. then i get back and laze around until my child wakes.

i do tai chi in the park either saturday or sunday, though it's offered both. actually, there are people doing tai chi in the park every day, but the group i join is weekends. i like to stretch out, but don't do so often enough. especially being a daily runner, i should be doing long deep stretches a couple of times a day. i stretch out fully every other day, on average, i'd say.

i don't lift weights, but i did babywear until fairly recently and i spend a good amount of time lugging around a 27.5 pound child. i also don't really do sit ups or anything. i hold plank pose for a bit daily. and i do these one yoga core circles. but, sad to say, i'm fairly typical as runners go and have very toned legs and a pretty decent middle (though having been pregnant means my stomach will never not be a bit mushy) and very little upper body strength except from child wrangling.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-17, 07:58 PM
Contributor

WhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to beholdWhiteOwl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmanagable View Post
I stretch some each morning before getting out of bed (or once I return to bed after having to run to the loo....lol) and do some breathing techniques (diaphragmatic, counted, and alternate nostril) to oxygenate my cells.

A mini-trampoline (a gently used Urban Rebounder I scored after posting a wanted ad on craigslist for a mini-tramp) that I can run/jump/bounce/do stretches/sit ups/etc. on, both indoors and out, is my next stop in the purposeful movement flow of my day. It's low impact on my already achy joints and it keeps lymph fluids flowing nicely.

Hula hoops that I made/make (from pvc irrigation tubing that comes in 100 ft. rolls), both for waist hooping and smaller ones for arm hooping. It took two weeks of practicing each day for at least 20 minutes after I lost my first 50 lbs. to finally keep the damn thing up, but oh what fun trying was before it finally took. lol Then I took a hula hoop dance class and learned a few moves that make me feel like I know what I'm doing. lol Then I took an online class to learn how to teach kids/design parties/etc. and have had fun sharing them in some form or fashion ever since.

Along with random sporadic dance moves throughout the day and nature walks every chance I get. (a little over 2.5 yrs. ago, I weighed over 300 lbs. and was damn near bed ridden)

I also have an aerobic exerciser thingy that my mom passed on to me years ago that looks like a bike, sort of, but isn't. You push your feet at the same time you pull the handlebars back. With the right song, even it can be kind of fun.

All my stuff was found used, made myself, or given to me free of charge and is now part of my living room decor. I have to keep it fun and readily accessible, or it likely won't happen.

Qi gong and tai chi are pretty cool, too, but I haven't dabbled too deeply in either, yet.

I realized this past born day that I finally qualify for the 50 and over exercise classes through the rec. dept. lol I think they call them silver sneakers or something like that. Hahahahaha!!! Yay! I finally grew into my level of physical functioning. It's a damn good thing, because those other classes about to kill me. lol
These are great ideas, especially the trampoline for low impact cardio. Thank you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (10-29-17), Unmanagable (10-28-17)
Old 10-28-17, 08:20 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
well, i run trails, so maybe not your favourite... but running trails to me is totally different from jogging (especially on sidewalks/roads). i usually run for about an hour, which, for me, is roughly seven miles. and i run most days of the week. usually in the pre crack of dawn...i get up and out the door immediately...usually starting around five. then i get back and laze around until my child wakes.

i do tai chi in the park either saturday or sunday, though it's offered both. actually, there are people doing tai chi in the park every day, but the group i join is weekends. i like to stretch out, but don't do so often enough. especially being a daily runner, i should be doing long deep stretches a couple of times a day. i stretch out fully every other day, on average, i'd say.

i don't lift weights, but i did babywear until fairly recently and i spend a good amount of time lugging around a 27.5 pound child. i also don't really do sit ups or anything. i hold plank pose for a bit daily. and i do these one yoga core circles. but, sad to say, i'm fairly typical as runners go and have very toned legs and a pretty decent middle (though having been pregnant means my stomach will never not be a bit mushy) and very little upper body strength except from child wrangling.
I love trails and have done a lot of hiking, but never ran them. Sounds like fun! I don't go often enough lately because I usually go with my kids and my 2 yr old freaks out whenever I put him in one of those hiking carriers. I think I'm going to start going by myself, though, because I've been missing trails. I imagine running trails would be better than jogging on sidewalks because the ground is softer and the different elevations would help with toning. I wish it wasn't a 30 min. drive to the nearest trails, though.

It's just so difficult finding the right time of day to do things and there is no consistency to my life right now. But I'm hoping to at least make my exercise routine more consistent. I used to jog for about an hour each day and that just hasn't been happening lately. I'm going to make it a priority again.

Thank you for the ideas!
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOwl For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (11-08-17)
Old 10-28-17, 09:06 PM
Contributor

Also, does anyone use any phone apps? I recently started using Runkeeper and it's pretty cool. It tracks how far I go, my pace, etc.
Old 11-08-17, 08:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

KitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to allKitCat is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOwl View Post
Any thoughts on this? Do you walk? Jog? What's your routine?
I alternate between walking, jogging, running... both outdoors and on my treadmill. Outdoors I listen to music with my phone using the Spotify or iHeart Radio apps. When I'm indoors on the treadmill I will usually pick tv show to watch. I also stretch, do sit-ups, squats, and use free weights. Nothing really heavy. (5-15 lbs)

My routine changes due to my mood, energy level, or schedule. Try to at least walk/run/jog an hour a day. Admittedly, there are those days I'm just not feeling it, or simply don't have the time, so I will do what I can. Even if it's only 15 minutes. Feel like anything is better than nothing at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOwl View Post
Also, does anyone use any phone apps? I recently started using Runkeeper and it's pretty cool. It tracks how far I go, my pace, etc.
I've been using Runkeeper for a while now too and really like it. It's the only type of exercise app I've used so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to KitCat For This Useful Post:
WhiteOwl (11-09-17)
Old 11-13-17, 07:59 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitCat View Post
I alternate between walking, jogging, running... both outdoors and on my treadmill. Outdoors I listen to music with my phone using the Spotify or iHeart Radio apps. When I'm indoors on the treadmill I will usually pick tv show to watch. I also stretch, do sit-ups, squats, and use free weights. Nothing really heavy. (5-15 lbs)

My routine changes due to my mood, energy level, or schedule. Try to at least walk/run/jog an hour a day. Admittedly, there are those days I'm just not feeling it, or simply don't have the time, so I will do what I can. Even if it's only 15 minutes. Feel like anything is better than nothing at all!

I've been using Runkeeper for a while now too and really like it. It's the only type of exercise app I've used so far.
I think I'm starting to get into a good routine. I found that I need to get out the door first thing in the morning, or it's too easy to talk myself out of it if I wait until later in the day. I think I will alternate between walking and jogging, too. I sometimes try to get my exercise in while I'm out with my kids at the park or wherever, but that just never works because they often whine to go home before I'm ready. So I need to keep my own personal exercise time separate.

I'm still trying to figure out the Runkeeper app. I use it to play music through Google Play, but I can't figure out how to switch between the screen keeping track of my pace, and the screen for the music. A song will come on and I want to see the name of the song, but it won't let me switch back and forth. Are you able to use other music apps and Runkeeper at the same time? I'm so clueless when it comes to apps.
Old 11-14-17, 05:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,218 Times in 13,234 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

running my mouth.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-14-17), WhiteOwl (11-14-17)