ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 11-13-17, 03:25 PM

FireChicken623 is on a distinguished road
How Did You Convince Your Parents You Had ADHD?

This post is specifically meant for people who convinced their parents they had ADHD when they were a teenager. I'm 16 and after spending a lot of time researching and talking to other people I'm pretty sure I have ADHD. The only problem is I have to convince my parents. This is a lot more difficult than it sounds though because my parents have been told by multiple teachers and even my 7th grade guidance counselor told them I have ADHD, but they always reply with the same thing: "He's just lazy". I get in trouble all the time for forgetting things and get beat for having bad grades and no matter what they refuse to believe it's ADHD. How did you guys handle this, did you finally convince your parents you had ADHD and how did you do it, or did you just wait until you got old enough to leave and got yourself diagnosed?

P.s.: I also wanted to say I can't go to anyone in my current school because since I'm lazy and all that my parents put me into this school where everything is on the computer and pretty much all the "teachers" there are just babysitters and don't understand how pretty much anything works.
The Following User Says Thank You to FireChicken623 For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-14-17)
Old 11-14-17, 10:18 PM

Thanked 31,682 Times in 14,249 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How Did You Convince Your Parents You Had ADHD?

hello and welcome to the forums!

i can't help but notice in your post you mention being "beat". are you being physically abused? is that something you can share with your guidance counselor?

what grade are you in now?

sorry you're struggling with this. x
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-14-17)
Old 11-14-17, 10:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,451 Times in 2,660 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't. I haven't even mentioned it to my parents. What I would say though is this. If you want to convince your parents that you have ADHD, then you'll probably need to convince one of them that they have it as well, because odds are they will.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-17, 03:46 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,234 Times in 13,244 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to convince your parents that beating a kid is wrong and that it doesnt help adhd.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Arthos (11-16-17)