ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 11-05-17, 06:48 AM
Kaia.S's Avatar
Kaia.S Kaia.S is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Nederland
Posts: 49
Thanks: 139
Thanked 84 Times in 39 Posts
Kaia.S is just really niceKaia.S is just really niceKaia.S is just really niceKaia.S is just really nice
Re: Do you ever doubt whether you really have ADHD

If only... i would try harder, discipline myself more, go to the gym, eat healthier, not be so lazy, take more social initiatives, be over menopause, have a normal relationship, stop my addictions, adjust myself to all kinds of situations like everybody else, etc... THAN i would not have adhd.

So it's my own fault that i have it or it's depending on situations i'm in. So i must be a very bad version of myself all my life, always making my life more difficult by taking the easy way out? OR could it be, that there's a reason for all this, other than thinking bad things about myself?

After i was diagnosed some months ago, and started psychotherapy, the more and more i recognise what my head does and doesn't do, and how to deal with it or get a little more control over it that way. Having identified myself all my life with this crazy head of mine, always judging myself, not knowing what was going on... it was like being a victim of an opponent i wasn't aware of.

Doubts are fading quickly now. I told my psychiatrist about my doubts, she said is very common for us with adhd to have them, and it's called denial, not accepting etc. Because we're not all crazy, we also have a lot of good qualities! But most of them were repressed by people telling us what to do, what is normal and acceptable and so on. So now i'm starting to recreate my life, totally welcoming my 'strange' or 'special' things, loving the not knowing where it's leading to.

Not wanting medication is also part of the doubt. I'm starting it in a month or so, had to wait for check ups regarding my self medicating alcohol- and drugs abuse and treatment for panic attacks that could otherwise go worse. My head has a lot of bla bla about it, but why not give it a chance and experience for myself how it works out... i've been long enough in my head, i don't believe it anymore, i feel more love and freedom in opening up for new things... old things give same results anyway.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaia.S For This Useful Post:
Arthos (11-05-17)
  #17  
Old 11-07-17, 06:16 PM
Hazel87 Hazel87 is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Hazel87 will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you ever doubt whether you really have ADHD

No, I never doubt it because it's so crystal clear and obvious in my life and functioning haha.

I HATE that doctors will diagnose through a simple questionnaire though and personally don't take those type of diagnoses as legitimate. I think this is a huge reason why ADHD is overdiagnosed and misdiagnosed, and also misunderstood.

First of all, just like a regular family physician can't diagnose autism, fetal alcohol spectrum disorder, etc they shouldn't be diagnosing ADHD either. It blows my mind, the lack of actual understanding a lot of doctors have of ADHD. It's a complex neuro-developmental condition, just like autism. You cannot diagnose a neuro-developmental condition without a full out assessment. I had two 8hr days of assessments with a team before being diagnosed with autism and ADHD. This included an extensive interview, developmental history, cognitive testing, etc. Just as this is the only way that autism and other ND conditions can be diagnosed, ADHD should only be diagnosed after a thorough assessment as well.

Then you have these people who walk around telling everyone they have ADD when they function perfectly fine and this is why even medical professionals misunderstand ADD as being a simple attention disorder. It's so frustrating.

If you're unsure, I would ask to be properly assessed. I know that where I live, there is an adult ADHD clinic but any psychologist or neuropsychologist can do a proper assessment for you, including cognitive testing. If you are ADHD, a proper assessment and understanding of your neurodivergence is so important. If you don't find that your ability to function well and succeed is impaired than I wouldn't bother and I would question an ADD diagnosis as well.

It IS true that we learn to mask and cope with ND conditions as we age though, however it's unlikely that having true ADD you would grow out of it and learn to cope to the point of no longer being affected. If that makes sense. I grew up with undiagnosed autism and I became pro at masking it (thinking I was crazy and just an inherently bad and messed up person) and I did a good job of masking for other people but I could never mask it to myself, putting that mask on was exhausting and I struggled enormously. So, while what your mom says is true, there's a difference between masking it for those around you but still feeling enormously impaired yourself behind the mask, and masking it to the point that you don't feel impaired by the condition (which isn't really masking it, and in that case I would strongly question the diagnosis).
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hazel87 For This Useful Post:
Arthos (11-07-17)
  #18  
Old 11-08-17, 12:00 AM
PoppnNSailinMan's Avatar
PoppnNSailinMan PoppnNSailinMan is offline
Moderator
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 375
Thanks: 622
Thanked 497 Times in 232 Posts
PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Do you ever doubt whether you really have ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel87 View Post
If you're unsure, I would ask to be properly assessed. I know that where I live, there is an adult ADHD clinic but any psychologist or neuropsychologist can do a proper assessment for you, including cognitive testing. If you are ADHD, a proper assessment and understanding of your neurodivergence is so important. If you don't find that your ability to function well and succeed is impaired than I wouldn't bother and I would question an ADD diagnosis as well.
It would be great if everyone with ADHD could get the kind of assessment that you describe. Unfortunately, a lot of people just don't have the financial and other resources that would allow them to get access to ADHD clinics, neuropsychologists or regular psychologists who have considerable expertise and experience in assessing ADHD.

I'm sure that getting two 8-hour days of ADHD assessment is expensive and would cost more than many people could afford to pay or more than their insurance would be willing to pay. People who belong to managed care plan might not have anyone in their network who can do this kind of assessment. Or some people might receive their healthcare through a state Medicaid program which pays doctors so little that most of the doctors who do the kind of assessments you describe wouldn't be willing to accept them as patients.

So, I'm sure that many people with ADHD do the best that they can and get the only ADHD assessment that they can afford or have access to, one which will be a lot less thorough and expertly done than it should be. It's also worth adding that some of the testing that you mention is probably unnecessary in more clear cut cases of ADHD.
__________________
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)

Last edited by PoppnNSailinMan; 11-08-17 at 12:28 AM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #19  
Old 11-08-17, 05:37 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is online now
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 25,024
Thanks: 5,553
Thanked 29,276 Times in 13,265 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you ever doubt whether you really have ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post

I'm sure that getting two 8-hour days of ADHD assessment is expensive and would cost more than many people could afford to pay or more than their insurance would be willing to pay. People who belong to managed care plan might not have anyone in their network who can do this kind of assessment. Or some people might receive their healthcare through a state Medicaid program which pays doctors so little that most of the doctors who do the kind of assessments you describe wouldn't be willing to accept them as patients.
Expensive and unecessary. There are no tests for adhd, There are some tests used to rule out other conditions if they are truly suspected but certainly not something that takes 8 hours. The easiest way to look at it is...who makes out well with an expensive test that insurance doesnt cover?


Quote:
So, I'm sure that many people with ADHD do the best that they can and get the only ADHD assessment that they can afford or have access to, one which will be a lot less thorough and expertly done than it should be. It's also worth adding that some of the testing that you mention is probably unnecessary in more clear cut cases of ADHD.
Adhd diagnosis should and usually consists of a thorough history, sometimes surveys or scales like the Conners' scale that can be filled out by the patient and if they have a trusted reliable family member, them too. Sometimes access to school records can help but are not required. The most important part is a good history. I dont mean a 15 minute summary but maybe liken 45 minute history with the doctor taking the lead asking questions and letting the patient relate them to their experiences. Anything beyond that and i personally would question the doctor.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (11-08-17)
  #20  
Old 11-08-17, 01:06 PM
PoppnNSailinMan's Avatar
PoppnNSailinMan PoppnNSailinMan is offline
Moderator
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: California
Posts: 375
Thanks: 622
Thanked 497 Times in 232 Posts
PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Do you ever doubt whether you really have ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Expensive and unecessary. There are no tests for adhd, There are some tests used to rule out other conditions if they are truly suspected but certainly not something that takes 8 hours. The easiest way to look at it is...who makes out well with an expensive test that insurance doesnt cover?
Some ADHD doctors really like to do a lot of testing, including IQ tests. I can tell from reading his books that the well known ADHD expert, Thomas Brown, is one of those. I've learned a great deal from his books, especially his book, Smart but Stuck: Emotions in Teens and Adults with ADHD. But I felt a little depressed when I was reading it, too.

Brown gives case studies of his patients and you can tell that most of them came from wealthy families. In one case, Brown evaluated and gave individual therapy to one young man with ADHD several days per week over a period of about two years. And this young man's parents were able to afford to rent an apartment for their son near Yale University where Brown was a faculty member so that he could get this kind of assessment and intensive therapy from a top ADHD expert. And it goes without saying that the services of someone like Thomas Brown probably didn't come cheap.

The overwhelming majority of people with ADHD could never afford to get the kind of help that Brown's patients were getting. It makes me feel sad sometimes to read so many stories here in this forum and elsewhere of people with ADHD who have to deal with ignorant doctors who don't know anything about ADHD, who can't even get a halfway adequate assessment of their ADHD, who can't afford to pay for their medications, etc. That's the reality for a lot of people with ADHD.
__________________
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
namazu (11-08-17)
  #21  
Old 11-09-17, 07:04 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is online now
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 25,024
Thanks: 5,553
Thanked 29,276 Times in 13,265 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you ever doubt whether you really have ADHD

That's thing thing. If we take the profit motive out of all these tests then I will get behind them. Until then since the science says they arent always necessary and are able to diagnose it without them, and most people cant afford them and insurance wont cover them, I cant support testing like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
Some ADHD doctors really like to do a lot of testing, including IQ tests. I can tell from reading his books that the well known ADHD expert, Thomas Brown, is one of those. I've learned a great deal from his books, especially his book, Smart but Stuck: Emotions in Teens and Adults with ADHD. But I felt a little depressed when I was reading it, too.

Brown gives case studies of his patients and you can tell that most of them came from wealthy families. In one case, Brown evaluated and gave individual therapy to one young man with ADHD several days per week over a period of about two years. And this young man's parents were able to afford to rent an apartment for their son near Yale University where Brown was a faculty member so that he could get this kind of assessment and intensive therapy from a top ADHD expert. And it goes without saying that the services of someone like Thomas Brown probably didn't come cheap.

The overwhelming majority of people with ADHD could never afford to get the kind of help that Brown's patients were getting. It makes me feel sad sometimes to read so many stories here in this forum and elsewhere of people with ADHD who have to deal with ignorant doctors who don't know anything about ADHD, who can't even get a halfway adequate assessment of their ADHD, who can't afford to pay for their medications, etc. That's the reality for a lot of people with ADHD.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Arthos (11-09-17)
  #22  
Old 11-15-17, 02:21 AM
SashaBV SashaBV is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Helotes, TX
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
SashaBV is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you ever doubt whether you really have ADHD

No, and I really wish I could doubt it...ADD, that is.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-15-17, 03:19 AM
DeClutter DeClutter is online now
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Home of the Fries (no, they are NOT French!)
Posts: 28
Thanks: 15
Thanked 41 Times in 19 Posts
DeClutter is a glorious beacon of lightDeClutter is a glorious beacon of lightDeClutter is a glorious beacon of lightDeClutter is a glorious beacon of lightDeClutter is a glorious beacon of lightDeClutter is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Do you ever doubt whether you really have ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaia.S View Post
If only... i would try harder, discipline myself more, go to the gym, eat healthier, not be so lazy, take more social initiatives, be over menopause, have a normal relationship, stop my addictions, adjust myself to all kinds of situations like everybody else, etc... THAN i would not have adhd.

So it's my own fault that i have it or it's depending on situations i'm in. So i must be a very bad version of myself all my life, always making my life more difficult by taking the easy way out? OR could it be, that there's a reason for all this, other than thinking bad things about myself?

After i was diagnosed some months ago, and started psychotherapy, the more and more i recognise what my head does and doesn't do, and how to deal with it or get a little more control over it that way. Having identified myself all my life with this crazy head of mine, always judging myself, not knowing what was going on... it was like being a victim of an opponent i wasn't aware of.
I recognize this. An invisble force that seems to interfere and mingle with every day life, and you keep being critical to yourself, as if it is just a matter of more willpower or lack in character.

Especially when for some reason you end up being on the high-functional end of the spectrum, through intelligence, circumstances or avoiding situations that your ADD manifests itself in, you can hide it for yourself and others for a long time.

And i think that is where the confusion comes from, as lifes circumstances change and you are confronted with different challenges, my life has known periods where i was completely blocked by my ADD but there were also moments I thrived and excelled because of it.

And that's where the confusion comes from i guess. It is a linear condition, but we do not experience it that way as symptoms increase or decrease depending on the complexity level of our lives.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeClutter For This Useful Post:
Arthos (11-15-17)
  #24  
Old 11-17-17, 04:51 PM
MilosM MilosM is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Serbia
Posts: 38
Thanks: 12
Thanked 28 Times in 17 Posts
MilosM is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you ever doubt whether you really have ADHD

Even though I have all the symptoms, I failed at everything in life and I knew that something was wrong with me before I even heard of ADHD, I still have doubts sometimes. I don't know why, I guess it's also a symptom of ADHD, where you change your mind all the time.
I am also surrounded by people who know nothing about it, and are not willing to learn about it. So maybe it has something to do with how people close to you react to it. Since no one around me accepts my ADHD as a reality, I then proceed to have doubts myself.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MilosM For This Useful Post:
Arthos (11-17-17)
  #25  
Old 11-18-17, 06:08 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is online now
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 25,024
Thanks: 5,553
Thanked 29,276 Times in 13,265 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you ever doubt whether you really have ADHD

When things are going well and you are having a good stretch its easy to wonder about adhd. Then it sneaks up and bites you in the ***. I have a severe form of it so its not hard to see but I imagine higher functioning people would have their doubts.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
stef (11-18-17)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ADHD: Underdiagnosed and Undermedicated? APSJ Science in the Media 17 01-13-17 06:20 AM
50 Conditions that Mimic ADHD dude102 Adult Diagnosis & Treatment 6 06-18-12 03:24 AM
My NEW ADHD Research Summary: Out of Pure Frustration With Lack of Current Knowledge! MedStudent82 Ritalin 11 05-26-12 02:34 AM
Neural Darwinism and the development of ADHD mildadhd Open Science & Philosophical Discussion 77 10-28-11 08:28 AM
ADHD Symptoms and Dietary Connections bof00 Science in the Media 54 06-03-11 08:52 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums