ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-12-17, 12:55 AM

akira1981 is on a distinguished road
Best advice for adderall crashes and sleep

I've been on adderall for 10 month's now , and despite all the bad things I heard it by far out weighs the bad! I take 30 m.g e.r and 10 m.g i.r but don't take all of it actually no where close. I just like to make sure I don't run out because I work a lot sometimes 120 hrs. In 2 weeks. Anyways a "active"multivitamin for men helps prolong your peak through out the day, than when crashing usually after 6 or 7 for me l-tyrosine 200 m.g from vitamin Shoppe brings your dopamine levels back up for crashes and at night a magnesium/b6 400/25 m.g combo from Solgar to calm you down and take any jitters left away....also cranberry juice flushes any remaining toxins left to help rid of any remaining jitters at night. If you take those three you will feel a HUGE difference for each issue i promise! Especially if your tring to stop benzos, i love them too trust me
Bit mentally this is the route you want. Hope this helps someone out there struggling like I was...
Old 11-12-17, 06:22 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,276 Times in 13,265 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best advice for adderall crashes and sleep

Best advice is to overlap your doses of medication so that there is little to no crash.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 11-15-17, 08:51 PM
Jr Member

Hazel87 will become famous soon enough

If you're getting crashes, your dosage is probably way too high.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hazel87 For This Useful Post:
wonderboy (11-16-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-17, 09:20 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel87 View Post
If you're getting crashes, your dosage is probably way too high.
Crashing, or "rebound," is fairly common and happens not because the blood levels of a stimulant are too high but because they're dropping off too quickly. That's why doctors often prescribe a short acting booster at the end of an extended release stimulant so that the blood levels go down more gradually.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
Old 11-15-17, 10:52 PM
Jr Member

Hmm interesting. That makes sense! I've heard a slight crash is common but that a crash that is moderately affecting you is a sign that your dosage is too high.

Thankfully, I only ever got crashes when I used to abuse stimulants lol. Now, taking it as prescribed, I don't get any crash at all from extended release or IR. No jitteriness, nothing. Thankfully. I've always been told that extended release is actually better for avoiding crashes because you comedown gradually, whereas with IR the crash is more drastic and sudden. I find that I actually prefer IR though, when it wears off it's just gone, it doesn't linger like I find extended release does for me.

I think part of what likely helps me not feel any crash or rebound is also that I take effexor as well, so I think it probably blocks some of those feelings. It definitely takes the 'edge' off that I remember disliking when I took dexedrine when I was young.

I second magnesium, I take it every night. It helps prevent tolerance building up too fast and it's good for your muscles (stimulants can tighten muscles). I had a really good vitamin that was for sleep, it was melatonin, l-theanine, 5htp, and magnesium all in one, I've been meaning to get it again. Melatonin helps me sleep and some studies have shown that people with ADD have a tendency to be lower in melatonin (haven't looked too much into this research though) and also that stimulant meds and other meds can lower melatonin.

Also, I do smoke weed before bed sometimes to aid in sleep and "come down" from my day. These are mostly before bed things though.

I agree with overlapping doses too, I try and make sure I take my afternoon dosage before the morning one wears off.
Old 11-15-17, 10:55 PM
Jr Member

PS: I do think though, that experiencing crashes *can* be an indication that your dosage is too high (the higher the dosage, the more side effects you're going to be prone too, esp when it comes to higher norepinephrine levels). So, for anyone struggling with crashes, if you haven't already tried a lower dosage, it might be a good consideration.

I think also things like food, hydration, proper sleep the night before, etc can have an impact too.
Old 11-16-17, 05:03 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
PS: I do think though, that experiencing crashes *can* be an indication that your dosage is too high (the higher the dosage, the more side effects you're going to be prone too, esp when it comes to higher norepinephrine levels). So, for anyone struggling with crashes, if you haven't already tried a lower dosage, it might be a good consideration.

I think also things like food, hydration, proper sleep the night before, etc can have an impact too.
I don't have much experience with crashes.

When I first started taking IR Ritalin 5 years ago, I was sometimes a little startled by how suddenly it dropped off. Only a few days after I had started taking the Ritalin, I remember that I was sitting in a library and was looking around when suddenly everything around me seemed kind of dull and washed out. This was almost exactly 4 hours after I had taken the Ritalin and I had this sensation for about 30 or 40 minutes. After a while, it didn't seem nearly as dramatic when the Ritalin wore off.

I started Vyvanse a little over three months ago, and for a couple of weeks, I felt really tired for about an hour and a half after it wore off. Now, I can barely tell when it wears off most of the time which is in the late evening.

I was looking around on the Internet to see what I could find out about rebound and one website made an important distinction. It said that rebound is not the same as a side effect which is a negative reaction to the medication itself. So, a headache or a stomach ache or loss of appetite are side effects of the medication. Rebound, on the other hand, occurs when the medication wears off too quickly and this can result in the return of ADHD symptoms as well as irritability, sadness, moodiness, nervousness, fatigue, etc. This appears to be more more common in people who metabolize their medication more rapidly.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
Old 11-17-17, 05:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,276 Times in 13,265 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also, I do smoke weed before bed sometimes to aid in sleep and "come down" from my day. These are mostly before bed things though.

I agree with overlapping doses too, I try and make sure I take my afternoon dosage before the morning one wears off.
Be careful smoking weed after having taken adderall. I cant find the source I was looking for but having the two in your system can cause racing heart, anxiety, paranoia, heart palpitations and it can also mask your adhd symptoms and make it really hard to tell if the adderall works well or not.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.