ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-07-17, 01:16 PM
mildadhd mildadhd is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
Posts: 10,438
Thanks: 975
Thanked 624 Times in 460 Posts
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Riding a bike with no hands: Promoting development of self-regulation

This thread is meant to promote discussion among members interested in non pharma treatment approaches.

(This discussion is not an anti-pharma thread, this thread is meant for members who cannot use or choose not to use pharma treatment approaches)


G
__________________
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-07-17, 01:19 PM
mildadhd mildadhd is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
Posts: 10,438
Thanks: 975
Thanked 624 Times in 460 Posts
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands.

(Question below is meant to promote discussion but not limited to.)

I have been wondering what the differences are between promoting coping mechanisms and promoting development self-regulation?

All thoughts appreciated!


G
__________________
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-17, 01:40 PM
ginniebean's Avatar
ginniebean ginniebean is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,719
Blog Entries: 27
Thanks: 22,846
Thanked 21,793 Times in 7,941 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands.

Although my ADHD was not aquired I was born with it I am unable to take medication for it. If you're not interested in hearing from people who were born with adhd then just me know tho I do think that excluding such a vast majority is short sighted because our symtpoms are very much the same.


Self regulation does develop in people with ADHD but may never meet the same level as our peers. I have noticed this over time in my own life. Even now, in my 50's I am finding and discovering things about myself that I think "why didn't I put this together 30 years ago?" well, and reallyadhd in a nutshell. That delay in development, of being able to put those pieces together where others do it in a timely way because their brains just work better and more efficiently.

Coping skills is about developing routines, externalizing reminders like post it notes, white boards, to keep yourself on track. I have not heard of any effective means outside of medication to develop or force the development of self regulation. Well, I've heard claims but none of them have so far been backed by real evidence that is encouraging.

That said, I've tried any number of things and likely will continue to as I have no choice.

Here's a good article that touches on your theme very accurately I think.

"Self-Regulation and Barkley's Theory of ADHD" by David Rabiner

Last edited by namazu; 01-07-17 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: Replaced link to marketing website with link to print-friendly version of article.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 01-07-17, 01:57 PM
mildadhd mildadhd is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
Posts: 10,438
Thanks: 975
Thanked 624 Times in 460 Posts
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
Although my ADHD was not aquired I was born with it I am unable to take medication for it. If you're not interested in hearing from people who were born with adhd then just me know tho I do think that excluding such a vast majority is short sighted because our symtpoms are very much the same.
Nobody is born with developed self-regulation.

Nobody is diagnosed with ADHD before the age of 4.


777
__________________
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-07-17, 02:05 PM
ginniebean's Avatar
ginniebean ginniebean is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,719
Blog Entries: 27
Thanks: 22,846
Thanked 21,793 Times in 7,941 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Nobody is born with developed self-regulation.

Nobody is diagnosed with ADHD before the age of 4.


777
Actually children as young as three have been diagnosed and the symptoms have been witnessed in infants. However, you're right no one is born with a developed self regulation. That's why the word "development" is in there. It 'develops'. People ARE born with impairments in the brain that delay and stunt the normal development. ADHD is a developmental disorder, meaning something is interfering with the normal development of self regulation. That something, results in the cluster of impairments we call adhd which reveal themselves over time as development increases. That's why the delays show up at various ages because when a child with an efficient brain reaches their milestones we notice, hey , this kid isn't. I was born with this something, as others my age reached thier developmental milestones I did not because something in my brain interfered with that process. I didn't eat any lead paint, I didn't have a head injury or a difficult birth, or any of these postulations. Nature just gave me this brain and it is a bit faulty.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-11-17)
  #6  
Old 01-07-17, 02:26 PM
mildadhd mildadhd is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
Posts: 10,438
Thanks: 975
Thanked 624 Times in 460 Posts
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
Actually children as young as three have been diagnosed and the symptoms have been witnessed in infants. However, you're right no one is born with a developed self regulation. That's why the word "development" is in there. It 'develops'. People ARE born with impairments in the brain that delay and stunt the normal development. ADHD is a developmental disorder, meaning something is interfering with the normal development of self regulation. That something, results in the cluster of impairments we call adhd which reveal themselves over time as development increases. That's why the delays show up at various ages because when a child with an efficient brain reaches their milestones we notice, hey , this kid isn't. I was born with this something, as others my age reached thier developmental milestones I did not because something in my brain interfered with that process. I didn't eat any lead paint, I didn't have a head injury or a difficult birth, or any of these postulations. Nature just gave me this brain and it is a bit faulty.
Human implicit self-regulation normally naturally develops between the last trimester and the age of 3.

Your right nobody is diagnosed with ADHD before the age of 3-4.


777
__________________
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-17, 05:45 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 23,146
Thanks: 5,451
Thanked 27,464 Times in 12,297 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Nobody is born with developed self-regulation.

Nobody is diagnosed with ADHD before the age of 4.


777
My son was diagnosed at age 3.5.
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (01-12-17), mildadhd (01-12-17)
  #8  
Old 01-12-17, 11:13 AM
Lunacie's Avatar
Lunacie Lunacie is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: south-central Kansas
Posts: 17,125
Thanks: 16,719
Thanked 22,837 Times in 10,525 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
No human is born with the ability to self-regulate.

Inattentive, hyperactive and impulsive behavior are considered normal behavior during early toddlerhood because human self -regulation has normally not developed yet.

Point being...

...human implicit self-regulation normally develops in interaction with the environment between birth and the age of 3.


787
Bolding added as this is the part I'm responding to.

In ADHD, self-regulation does not develop normally because of wonky wiring
or smaller lobes or unbalanced chemicals inside the brain.

The environment the child lives in daily can promote better development, or
can delay development even further.

But the child was born with a problem inside the brain before they were even
born.

Yes, children can develop something that is almost identical to ADHD if they
experience trauma during their early years, and that is a shame because it
could be prevented.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
My son was diagnosed at age 3.5.
My granddaughter was 3.5 when I first took her to story time at the library.

The difference between her and the other children was quite noticable,

even the ones who were younger than her could sit still for a few minutes
without interrupting. She could not.

Back then I didn't know anyone but hyperactive little boys had this thing called
ADHD or I would have encouraged her mom to get her diagnosed.

Once I knew what the symptoms looked like, I realized a lot of her earlier
behaviors were recognizable ADHD traits.

Her self-regulation skills had always been delayed compare to her peers.
__________________
ADD is not a problem of knowing what to do; it is a problem of doing what you know.
-RUSSELL A. BARKLEY, PH.D.


As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-12-17), mctavish23 (01-12-17), mildadhd (01-12-17), sarahsweets (01-12-17)
  #9  
Old 01-12-17, 09:42 PM
mildadhd mildadhd is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
Posts: 10,438
Thanks: 975
Thanked 624 Times in 460 Posts
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Bolding added as this is the part I'm responding to.

In ADHD, self-regulation does not develop normally because of wonky wiring
or smaller lobes or unbalanced chemicals inside the brain.

The environment the child lives in daily can promote better development, or
can delay development even further.

But the child was born with a problem inside the brain before they were even
born.
We are born with more sensitive temperaments.

Interferes with normal development of implicit self-regulation.



788
__________________
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I

Last edited by mildadhd; 01-12-17 at 10:02 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-07-17, 02:35 PM
mildadhd mildadhd is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
Posts: 10,438
Thanks: 975
Thanked 624 Times in 460 Posts
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post


Self regulation does develop in people with ADHD but may never meet the same level as our peers. I have noticed this over time in my own life. Even now, in my 50's I am finding and discovering things about myself that I think "why didn't I put this together 30 years ago?" well, and reallyadhd in a nutshell. That delay in development, of being able to put those pieces together where others do it in a timely way because their brains just work better and more efficiently.

Coping skills is about developing routines, externalizing reminders like post it notes, white boards, to keep yourself on track. I have not heard of any effective means outside of medication to develop or force the development of self regulation. Well, I've heard claims but none of them have so far been backed by real evidence that is encouraging.

That said, I've tried any number of things and likely will continue to as I have no choice.

Here's a good article that touches on your theme very accurately I think.

"Self-Regulation and Barkley's Theory of ADHD" by David Rabiner
It freezes me when you come out swinging in your first post, but I really appreciate the rest of your quote above, as great guidelines for further thread discussion.




777
__________________
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I

Last edited by namazu; 01-07-17 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: quote consistency
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-07-17)
  #11  
Old 01-07-17, 02:49 PM
ginniebean's Avatar
ginniebean ginniebean is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,719
Blog Entries: 27
Thanks: 22,846
Thanked 21,793 Times in 7,941 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands.

I came out swinging? Really? I thought I was pretty even toned and reasonable. Perception eh?

So, what did you find interesting and what would you like to discuss?
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (01-07-17), Lunacie (01-11-17)
  #12  
Old 01-07-17, 03:12 PM
mildadhd mildadhd is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
Posts: 10,438
Thanks: 975
Thanked 624 Times in 460 Posts
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post

So, what did you find interesting and what would you like to discuss?
Differences between...?

-Promoting development of human self-regulation.

-Promoting development of coping mechanisms.


777
__________________
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-07-17, 03:24 PM
ginniebean's Avatar
ginniebean ginniebean is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,719
Blog Entries: 27
Thanks: 22,846
Thanked 21,793 Times in 7,941 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Differences between...?

-Promoting development of human self-regulation.

-Promoting development of coping mechanisms.


777

Ok, not being an ***, but when you say 'human self regulation" I take that to mean not exclusive to those with adhd but all people everywhere.

IN case you did mean in humans with adhd, so far we don't know how to promote the development of self regulation, medication and external cues are temporary and the person reverts without these supports. If you have found evidence in the form of robust studies using people with adhd to show otherwise, many people want to know.


Yes, we can promote development of coping mechanisms a lot thru education of what is known to work. Like, white boards, day planners, post it notes, getting someone to help you prioritize, allowing yourself shut down time, to name a bare few.

The difference between promoting coping mechanism and promoting development of self regulation is we have known tips and tricks that assist with coping, we don't have any reliable information on what would promote development of self regulation mostly because it's not a voluntary system.
Meaning, it appears to be hard ware and not soft ware. I suppose it's nice to dream tho. I buy lotto tickets.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-11-17)
  #14  
Old 01-07-17, 05:39 PM
mildadhd mildadhd is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
Posts: 10,438
Thanks: 975
Thanked 624 Times in 460 Posts
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post

The difference between promoting coping mechanism and promoting development of self regulation is we have known tips and tricks that assist with coping, we don't have any reliable information on what would promote development of self regulation mostly because it's not a voluntary system.
Meaning, it appears to be hard ware and not soft ware. I suppose it's nice to dream tho. I buy lotto tickets.

To answer that we do not have enough information on how human self-regulation develops normally before the age of 3 is short sighted.

Especially when we are discussing a delay in neurodevelopment of human self regulation before the age of 4, don't you think?




777
__________________
"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-07-17, 10:36 PM
ginniebean's Avatar
ginniebean ginniebean is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,719
Blog Entries: 27
Thanks: 22,846
Thanked 21,793 Times in 7,941 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
To answer that we do not have enough information on how human self-regulation develops normally before the age of 3 is short sighted.

Especially when we are discussing a delay in neurodevelopment of human self regulation before the age of 4, don't you think?




777
I never said we don't have information on NORMAL development of self regulation. What I said was, "we don't have any reliable information on what would promote development of self regulation mostly because it's not a voluntary system."

I'm not interested in promoting the development of self regulation in people who do not have deficits because we'd be just as for behind or worse. My interest in in people WITH adhd, and that includes those who lived thru ages 1-4 with the defective brain that caused the delay to show up in the first place.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-11-17)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what are the disorders that make up the autism spectrum disorders group? gabriela Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD 10 02-23-17 08:05 PM
Open discussion of Brain Development (Split from Brain development) mildadhd Open Science & Philosophical Discussion 26 01-23-14 07:33 PM
Brain development and the imortance of the first three years Kunga Dorji Science in the Media 5 12-15-13 11:25 PM
District of Columbia Mental Health Services Draga Washington, DC 3 08-21-08 05:25 AM
Acronym Guide Andrew Forums Help, Q&A 1 09-25-04 04:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums