ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-13, 01:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

by_design is a jewel in the roughby_design is a jewel in the roughby_design is a jewel in the rough
Our History

One thing that has been bothering me is historically we don't exist. None of our history has been preserved, no oral tradition has been passed down. I suspect that possibly Confucius had ADHD. There are frequent examples of him hyper focusing, forgetting to eat. No one has ever compiled our history to my knowledge. Are there any historical figures that you suspect may have had ADHD?
Old 06-24-13, 03:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,917 Times in 823 Posts
keliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Our History

Honestly, I think in different historical settings ADHD was probably not nearly as much of an issue. Humans were way less sedentary (even just within the last century we've become so much more sedentary than our ancestors) and so the H/I traits probably weren't nearly as glaring or destructive as they are now in a classroom/office/21st century home setting.

High-energy children weren't seen as abnormal because they spent so much less time in classrooms than they do now. Look at The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Tom can't pay attention to ANYTHING or sit still or behave to save his life, but nobody thinks he's pathological. He's constantly running around and getting into trouble, but nobody would've ever pegged him as ADHD. He was just mischievous and energetic. Nowadays a little boy like Tom would almost certainly be referred for testing.

Basically I guess what I'm trying to say is that there was no framework for the disabling nature of ADHD until very recently, because until very recently ADHD was not all that disabling to most people. Most people didn't spend a significant amount of time in classrooms and offices. The majority of people were doing physical work, in factories or on farms, and maybe spent some time in school but not like kids do today. You didn't have a lot of ADHD-PI kids getting yelled at in classrooms for staring out the window, or ADHD-C kids being yelled at for not being able to sit still. I think it was probably in the early to mid-20th century that ADHD began to surface as a more pressing issue for more people, just by nature of a more sedentary culture shift.

It is interesting because there is a recorded "history", so to speak, of disorders like depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia. Those are issues that are present across time and culture, and are highly visible in historical texts. Kay Redfield Jamison wrote a book called Touched With Fire in which she discusses historical "evidence" of bipolar disorder in many well-known creative minds - because it's something you can see easily in historical accounts of these people. But we don't have that with ADHD, because it really is much more evident in a specific type of setting, one that we have only begun spending extended time in as of late.

"I've got a mountain to climb before I get over this hill
I've got the world to unwind before I ever sit still..."
- A Long Way to Get, Bob Schneider
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keliza For This Useful Post:
ADD me (06-24-13), by_design (06-24-13), salleh (06-24-13)
Old 06-24-13, 04:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: you carry your claim wherever you go - bob wier ACE
Thanked 1,467 Times in 923 Posts
Blanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant future

Something you can do to honor your rites of passage in therapy is to make a timeline of your 'epic events' or notable moments good and bad and ugly and beautiful

It can take some time to do this and it needs to be carefully designed with forethought.

so take your time with it - you may find it surprises you and shows how perserverence builds character and you find qualities within you that you've developed that help you shine and you focus on what's working vs what isn't...its interesting and something most therapists enjoy if you bring and share with them.

~ Sir Winston Churchill
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-13, 07:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,518 Times in 5,187 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

we do exist historically

just as several different names and constructs
Old 06-24-13, 08:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,079 Times in 569 Posts
ADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud of

SOMEbody I've been reading -- Barkley? Brown? -- points out that someone may be dyslexic, but if they don't live in a culture that prizes texts and reading texts, the dyslexia is not a disability. So, as keliza noted, if it's a culture that doesn't require people to sit still for very long . . .

OTOH, I doubt that forgetfulness and distractibility are highly admired traits anywhere.
But again, there might be places where such behavior is considered evidence of communication with the divine, and all the locals build a special house for the person, and relieve the person of any need to work, so that they can commune with the divine and bring peace and prosperity to the region . . ..

(That's what a remote village in India first thought about a girl born with 4 arms and 4 legs, that she was an incarnation of the divine. The parents at first refused an offer of surgery from a medical center in England; they later accepted.)
Medication: Short acting generic Adderall; low dose of escitalopram.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADD me For This Useful Post:
by_design (06-24-13)