ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 11-14-08, 01:08 AM

REDxdog is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Discovered many things about Dex this week.

I have started a few posts this week, asking some questions. I have recently been dx: with innattentive adult add and have tried Concerta, Strattera they did nothing but give me bad side effect so now I take 10 mg spanules 2x a day for the last month. Discovered that wasn;t enough coverage.

Saw my doctor on Monday. Asked for another script of the 10mg spanules and some 5 mg to cover the end of the day.
I was lucky enough to have Mall dex 10 mg spanules, but when it came to the 5mg no one had any. I called all the pharmacys. Only Barr was available in the 5 mg so that is what I ended up with.

I called Mallinckot Pharmauticals today and was told they stopped manufacturing Dex last May. Any pharmacy that has any is old stock. I got the last 60 today in the 10 mg spanules. It is no longer available. I asked them to fill the script with the brand name and was willing to pay the price but was told by Walgreens that does not exist. Again.....only Barr was available.

I took my Barr dex tonight,( spanules were wearing off) 5 mg at 5:30. After about an hour I felt it fading and I work till 10:00 pm so I took another 5 mg at 7:30 and another at 9:00. It is 11:00 and fading.

I can tell when it is fading because my heart beats hard and I have to pee a lot. Not sure why that happens.

Over all it helps me in so many ways and I don't want to change meds again.

Someones thread said it right " Chasing Dex" that is what I did today.
Old 11-14-08, 05:25 AM

marcykid will become famous soon enough
Re: Discovered many things about Dex this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl720 View Post
I can tell when it is fading because my heart beats hard and I have to pee a lot. Not sure why that happens.
This one's easy. It's because you're dehydrated. I take it too. You have to drink a LOT of water before, during, and after taking it. Avoid all coffee, tea, alcohol, or soda... period. They all dehydrate you. The result is a racing heart and peeing a lot. Avoid diuretics, stay hydrated, and it won't happen again.
The Following User Says Thank You to marcykid For This Useful Post:
REDxdog (11-14-08)
Old 11-14-08, 05:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,781 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcykid View Post
This one's easy. It's because you're dehydrated. I take it too. You have to drink a LOT of water before, during, and after taking it. Avoid all coffee, tea, alcohol, or soda... period. They all dehydrate you. The result is a racing heart and peeing a lot. Avoid diuretics, stay hydrated, and it won't happen again.
I get a bit of a surge effect with pulse in the first hour after the tablet- but I find that the concentration lasts a good 4-5 hours depending on the time of day and whether I am tired or overworked or not.

Knowing a little pharmacology I would be amazed if there you could detect any real difference between these brands if you took them blind. Autosuggestion is a powerful thing.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:
Max Planck: Nobel Prize 1918 for inventing quantum physics.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-08, 12:05 PM

REDxdog is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Discovered many things about Dex this week.

I had no problems with the Barr 5 mg tabs. It just faded away smoothly, much better than the spanules. I went through the boards last night and found many people who were happy with Barr, and liked the 5 mg tabs the most.

Today I am going to start off with 2 5 mg and buy some Magnesium along with some calcium. I have fish oil too.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will drink more water. I carry a bottle of Propell with me everywhere.
Old 11-14-08, 12:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

You are saying after two hours it is fading... I think after two hours its just started its therapeutic effects. Dex takes 1.5 hours to take full effect and blood plasma peaks at 2 hours... so, perhaps the effects you are looking for are the wrong ones... and you seem to take them very close together as well. This could contribute to side effects. No one metabolises Dexedrine in 2-3 hours. Its half life can be up to 18 hours... (therapeutic effects ~8)