ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 06-11-09, 10:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

moo4dougie is on a distinguished road
Other medication options I haven't considered yet?

Howdy Everyone!

My question is in BOLD at the bottom of the page if you want to cut to the chase.

I'm really getting frustrated. I've tried a bunch of different medications, but I haven't found one yet that I'm happy with.

I've tried the following, not in this order:

Strattera (weird sexual side effects that never went away)

Wellbutrin (some symptom control made me crazy, panic issues)

Methylphenidate (worked for symptoms, but killed all creative thought)

Adderall (worked for symptoms, but not as good as Ritalin, weird
symptoms when dose wears off; concerns about blood pressure; some creativity issues)...

Metadate CD (worked for symptoms. weird symptoms when dose wears off; concerns about blood pressure; some creativity issues)

---

I am still taking Clonidine, and I plan to continue taking it. It helps with hyperactivity; it does virtually nothing for inattention. It also helps with my borderline high blood pressure.

---

But seriously, my inattention issues are becoming unbearable. I am a graduate student who is helping coordinate some professional development workshops for teachers this summer. This work involves sitting through reasonably interesting lectures throughout the summer. (I have no control over this format!)

But I am getting to the point where I cannot even stay in the room for ten minutes without needing to leave. And I get so fidgity and ****y that I want to throw my shoes at the professors. I leave the room literally screaming because I'm so amped. Obviously, this doesn't convey professionalism.

---

So really, I'm looking at medicinal options again. Are there other medications I might consider? In particular, I'm looking for a possible medication that won't kill all creative thought.

As a bonus, do any of you have any coping mechanisms for dealing with lectuers? The good thing is I don't really have to process the material; I just need to be able to sit there and take it.

T*H*A*N*K*S!!!
Old 06-12-09, 11:14 AM
Contributor

mystery has a spectacular aura aboutmystery has a spectacular aura about
Re: Other medication options I haven't considered yet?

Dextroamphetamine seems like a good bet to me. It should be less stimulating. Desoxyn (methamphetamine) would also seem like a logical choice if it was easier to get. In terms of OTC substances I would recommend for you (these are hit or miss but worth a try):
omega-3 supplement (highly recommended),
nicotine patches
l-theanine
tryptophan
piracetam, aniracetam, or oxiracetam (in low doses)
phenibut (used selectively)
picamilon

It seems like you could benefit from bringing your energy level down with a boost in focus. Is there some reason your sympathetic nervous system is in overdrive? Are you stressed out, not getting away from work enough, doing lots of aerobic exercise, or getting too much/not enough sleep?

Something that would help tire me out is doing weightlifting, but not aerobic exercise. Also, a diet rich in protein makes me a bit sleepy, as protein takes a while to digest which uses blood, and provides sustained energy as a consequence. I usually feel a bit tired, but with sustained focus when eating lots of protein.
The Following User Says Thank You to mystery For This Useful Post:
moo4dougie (06-14-09)
Old 06-14-09, 11:54 AM
ADDvanced Member

moo4dougie is on a distinguished road

Mystery: I appreciate your response, and I apologize for my late reply.

My doctor has actually mentioned Desoxyn before, so I think it is something he would consider.

I have been really excited about the research on Omega-3 supplements. However, I get the impression that you have to take very high doses before any benefit results. Do you have any thoughts on that issue?

To address another question, yes--there are definite reasons why my sympathetic nervous system is in overdrive. I have been experiencing significant anxiety issues due to a mishap that happened seven or eight weeks ago. While that situation is getting better, the anxiety is still high.
I do a small amount of cardio every day, mainly because I have borderline high blood pressure. I'm not sure if that's the deal, though, because it almost always calms me down and focuses me for awhile.

I think your comments about diet are important, because in my more anxious state, my attention to diet has flown out the window. For awhile, I was eating really fresh food and very small amounts of sodium. Not so much anymore. And when reflecting, I also know that I haven't been eating a lot of protein--especially at breakfast. I don't eat much meat, but there are certainly still ways for me to get more protein into my diet.
Old 06-15-09, 12:25 AM
Contributor

In regards to omega-3s, it is easily possible that with a western diet, we are not getting enough omega-3s or an imbalance of omega-6 and -9s to omega-3s. Correcting a deficiency with supplementing will always produce much better results with smaller amounts than trying to get an effect by taking high amounts of a supplement that the body is not deficient in. I don't think you would need to take very much, especially if taken on an empty stomach, but as always, you'll need to try it and see. You could also eat more fish on some days (and not take any fish oil on those days). I would start with one 1200 mg capsule a day for at least a week. Then gradually raise the dosage until you notice some kind of effect. Personally, it seemed to make me agitated even on 1/2 of a capsule, but this is not a typical response and fish oil is usually very benign, e.g., people take 9 capsules with nothing but slightly clearer vision per se. Try and be aware of any affect it may be having by discontinuing it for a few days.

I find that my system is very sensitive to supplementing, so I try and stick to un-concentrated or unrefined sources that the body is slow to take up like food. I could probably get benefits from omega-3s just by eating more fish which is the simplest approach, but I have not tried this regularly.

The cardio exercise is probably okay. I'm talking about like running 10 miles, which will put my SNS in high gear and I would tend to be overstimulated after my system recovers, i.e., I would get an anxolytic response but then my energy level would keep rising. I don't know if this is very atypical. I'm sure it varies, and many people would feel more relaxed throughout the day after doing lots of cardio in the morning. Others might benefit from keeping the cardio to a certain level or by doing some anaerobic exercise.

I think diet is a tricky issue. People respond in different ways to the foods they eat, and they may not even be realizing how much food may be affecting their day. I get a sustained stimulant effect from eating fresh fruits which contain balanced sugars, so I try and eat those in the morning when I want plenty of energy, or when I hit an energy slump. They also contain high amounts of vitamins which can give a boost in energy. Protein as said helps me to focus, but pulls my energy level down, so it's great for absorbing information. Protein also supplies the brain to make neurotransmitters which might also play a role in improving focus and overall cognition.

Some things to note may be the sugars supplied, protein, and the energy required for digestion.

Something that supplies both high amounts of sugar and protein is milk. Try drinking a glass for breakfast and see how this affects your morning if you are used to eating a poor breakfast. Then on a following day try drinking a glass of juice to compare.
Old 06-15-09, 11:36 AM
Contributor

BTW, Omega-3 supplementing appears to produce both acute and long term effects. The LT effects would result in changes to cell membranes, and this may take at least a month to be of any significance. I'm not sure of the mechanism of ST effects, but I think I heard of an increase in dopamine in the prefrontal cortex. Just be aware of this, and if there are no ST effects, than there may be beneficial LT effects which are hard to notice.