ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 08-11-09, 04:53 PM

saunders is on a distinguished road
Question ADHD Treatment and History of Drug Abuse

Hi all, just diagnosed today with Adult AD/HD, and I also have a history of drug and alcohol abuse. (Sober 15+ years) I'm curious of any other alcoholic/addict's experiences with using stimulants to treat AD/HD
Old 08-12-09, 02:13 PM

Re: ADHD Treatment and History of Drug Abuse

Maybe this post needs to be moved to a more appropriate forum like the private addiction area??? Anyone???
Old 08-12-09, 04:28 PM
Contributor

iggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really nice

your fine there plenty of people in recovery around here,and on meds. here you will get support that the people in the that have yrs in the program.the docs have non addictive drugs

were you the type that would start and and would end up in jail,or loose everything,the chronic type?
the truth will will set you free.but it does have a price,and to understand the true meaning of life,why we are where we are,every moment we have live has a meaning.TRUTH IS STRANGER FICTION. it is so true ! i said to myself not long ago that that i want to know the truth.
The Following User Says Thank You to iggypop For This Useful Post:
saunders (08-12-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-09, 10:50 PM

I "self medicated" for 20 years (age 12 - 32) but only ended up in jail once. I've been sober almost 16 years and ended up being diagnosed with AD/HD after a trip to a psychologist because I didn't think my zoloft was doing what it was supposed to.

I guess I'm telling myself that as long as I'm working a solid program in AA and take AD/HD medication as prescribed I should be okay. I also know there are things like Strattera and Concerta XL that minimize abuse potential.

I'm mainly curious to hear from folks to weigh in on taking stimulants as prescribed and maintaining good sobriety...(have not raised the topic with my sponsor yet)

Thanks in advance for any input. I have an appointment tomorrow with my family Dr. RE: medication.
Old 08-13-09, 12:37 AM
Contributor

iggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really nice

hhmm well it's none of your sponsor's business,this is private and confidential between you and your dr. trust me the recovery crowd will never accept you meds.do you think you can take a stim and handle it?
the truth will will set you free.but it does have a price,and to understand the true meaning of life,why we are where we are,every moment we have live has a meaning.TRUTH IS STRANGER FICTION. it is so true ! i said to myself not long ago that that i want to know the truth.
Old 08-13-09, 01:08 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,968 Times in 2,474 Posts
novagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant future

hi saunders, I'm in recovery (ten years) and have had no problems with maintaining my sobriety. I take adderall. There are others here in recovery who have done very will with prescribed stimulant medications. It sounds like you're working a solid program, and that's great - congratulations on almost 16 years!

I know that I need to be completely honest with my support system, which includes a friend of mine who is in AA. She totally supports what I'm doing, and understands that I'm responsible for working my own program.

I also had hesitations about meds at first because of my past, but being honest with those who I completely trust helped me feel more confident about my decision to go head and try them. I've really had no inkling to take more than prescribed, in fact I regularly end up taking less than prescribed. It's been such a relief to have some assistance with functioning, I've struggled for so long. It doesn't fix things by any means, but it sure is helpful.

In looking back, I think that a lot of my drug use was self-medicating for adhd. Not saying it's an excuse - I made poor choices in spades, and have taken responsibility for that. The alcohol was great as a social lubricant, but my drugs of choice were always stimulants.
Even if I didn't use it in the house?
- Bill Waterson (Calvin and Hobbes)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to novagal For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (08-26-09), pADDyjay (08-19-09), saunders (08-13-09)
Old 08-13-09, 06:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

kara59 has a spectacular aura aboutkara59 has a spectacular aura about

Dear Saunders,

I am a recovering addict and also ADHD. I understand your issues surrounding taking stimulant medication being a recovering abuser (five yrs clean from opiate abuse).

What I find helpful is a trusting and honest relationship with myself and my psychiatrist. My doctor is educated in both mental health issues & is a psycho-pharmolcolgist & a caring individual. Since taking any/all medication was a sensitive issue with me, I expressed this to her and I felt safer with the treatment plan we came up with.

I now understand that when properly rx'ed and implemented, medication is a beneficial tool in my over-all well-being, rather than harmfu, as it had been before.

I have taken stimulant medication for over three years and am OK with it.

Best of luck to you, kara59
The Following User Says Thank You to kara59 For This Useful Post:
saunders (08-13-09)
Old 08-13-09, 01:32 PM

Danuts is on a distinguished road

I have been sober for 5 yrs, and diagnosed with ADHD 4 yrs ago. I have been on stimulants (adderall) since diagnosis, and if anything they help me maintain my sobriety. I self medicated my adhd symptoms my whole life, now I am getting proper treatment and don't feel the desire to abuse substances.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danuts For This Useful Post:
glenda6 (08-29-09), saunders (08-13-09)
Old 08-19-09, 11:12 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,016 Times in 671 Posts
pADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to all

I too am a recovering alcoholic ...15+ yrs sober and have been diagnosed

adhd 15yrs this week...My dx and med treatment with ritalin has surely helped maintain my sobriety

congrats to all of us

keep us posted we really care
Addr68 (08-26-09), novagal (08-19-09)
Old 08-26-09, 04:07 AM

david sanders is on a distinguished road

Hi novagal,

Could you please provide my with the name(s) of some professionals who can provide a proper ADD diagnosis. My situation is similar to Saunders.
Old 08-28-09, 01:42 AM

greylochdruid will become famous soon enough
Arrow Re: ADHD Treatment and History of Drug Abuse

Hello everyone. Saunders I am in NA and have been clean from all drugs since oct 19 2001. I have been on Adderall XR for months now. I do NOT have any urges to go have a drink or get a rock and smoke it. I was clean 7 yrs before I was diagnosed. I am on 40 MG of XR a day. I take a 20 when i get up 3-4hrs later I take a 10mg then between 5-6p I take my last 10mg. I have done very well on this med. I tried a Ritalin SR and it $#cked. I was mean and irritable. I will tell you this. I did get the euphoria the 1st day or 2 I was on it. Now I dont get that anymore. I didnt really care for it to tell you the truth. I was afraid of the stimulants at 1st also and tried wellbutrin XL. It didnt work. I say find a long acting stimulant that works for you and live. Just DONT chase the euphoria. Thats chasing the HIGH as we say in the rooms. Oh I am in retail and work a crazy schedule so this is the best dosing schedule I feel for me. 40mg worked better than 30mg of XR. I talked to my sponsor and about and in mtings alot. Talk about your fears and they tend to lessen and for me they pretty much went away. I am doing very well on this. Been a lifesaver for me. I read a lot about our condition before I took anything. All of the books out there say the same thing. That a ADHD person that is properly treated is less like to relapse than the ADHD person that goes undiagnosed.

Last edited by greylochdruid; 08-28-09 at 01:51 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add some pertinent INFO
Old 08-28-09, 09:10 AM

livin_life_hard is on a distinguished road

Me and my whole family have an addictive personality and i have been taking adderall for about 6 months.. i drink and have drunk since i was 16, not as an addict, but socially.. i have smoked pot, done acid, mushrooms, rolling pills, coke, various pills, and i will tell you honestly that adderall is a class 2 drug which is the same class a cocaine.. getting caught with it not prescribed is a felony. anyways, it is very addicting.. you can read what i wrote and say that i am a drug addict, from all the drugs i have done.. when i say i have done them, i mean i did them once or so in college years ago, i do not do them now, and dont have the feeling or need to do them again.. but the one drug i will say i was addicted to for about 3 months was coke.. i started just doing it sum and then i was just doing it everyday.. i met a guy and as soon as we started dating, i stopped and i havnt done it again.. this is how i know adderall is like coke. i take 3 20mg pills a day.. and when i was in college before iwas prescribed adderall i would buy it from friends sometimes just to get some work done.. when i went to the doctor 6 months ago, i did not go for ADHD, i went bc my stomach hurt, but in mid sentance asked me if i had ADHD, and i told him i had never been treated for it.. he told me he was specialized in ADHD and that just by talking to me he could tell i had a very severe case of it.. so when he started me on it, a go 90 pills a month and they were all 20mg. now at this point in time, i hadnt dont any drugs for almost a year. but the first weekend i hung out with friends i took and adderal before i started drinking, and i drank beer most of the night and didnt get a bit tipsy.. i drank atleast 12 beers, but after about 12 i could tell the adderall was wearing off, so i went into the bathroom and crush a half of one up and snorted it.. me know it was like coke, and when i did coke i could drink all i wanted and never felt drunk or got sick off beer. after everyone left my house but my close friend i told them what i had and they snorted some with me.. the next thing i knew, it was 9 in the morning, and i wasnt tired, i wasnt drunk, and i was still ready to keep going.. so we stayed at my house most of the day hanging out and snorting pills, and drinking beer.. over the whole night and next day i can honestly say that i drank atleast 30 beers and my body never felt drunk.. it didnt make me stumble or throw up... i felt great... we did this till about 11 that night and then went to bed.. the next day i got up and went to see just how many pills i did, and there were atleast 20 missing.. 20, 20mg pills that we had taking by mouth and snorted... and that is when i knew that adderall was going to be addictive for me, so ihave to make sure i only do what im suppose to, and that i take it by mouth.. but its hard, there are days that i think about doing, and there have been days that i have slipped up and did it.. anyways.. i wanted to share that story with you so you see how addictive adderall is.. just dont abuse it and you will be fine.. but if you have and abuse personality it will be hard.. hope this helps