ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Old 07-28-11, 06:23 AM

caughtinabadone is a jewel in the roughcaughtinabadone is a jewel in the roughcaughtinabadone is a jewel in the rough
Question any info on Cathinone in regards to ADHD treatment?

randomly stumbled upon this compound and article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathinone
Quote:
Cathinone induces the release of dopamine from striatal preparations that are prelabelled either with dopamine or its precursors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khat
Quote:
Khat contains the alkaloid called cathinone, an amphetamine-like stimulant which is said to cause excitement, loss of appetite, and euphoria.
looks like it has similar effects to amphetamines but idunno, thoughts?
Old 07-28-11, 09:03 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,515 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute
Re: any info on Cathinone in regards to ADHD treatment?

Well, PubMed has a number of articles that are still in review that seem to be based on the potential for this drug. However, most of them are examining the toxicity at this point. My feeling is that if they're still trying to find out how much of this stuff it takes to kill you, it's probably best not to test it on yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-29-11)
Old 07-28-11, 12:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

bof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nicebof00 is just really nice

It not only works similar to amphetamine, but similar to ecstasy too. It's definitely not better in terms of health. See what the World Health Organization has to say about it. http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/en/d/Js4896e/4.6.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bof00 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (07-29-11), Amtram (07-29-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-12, 10:18 AM

cosmicvibration is on a distinguished road

This is a reply to a relatively old post I live in Israel where Khat is legal. I have tried Khat... It does have a calming affect on me, and seems to affect me in a similar but different manner as that of Ritalin. I would consider Khat as a much milder stimulant. However, I have not come across any research regarding the ADHD and the use of this stimulant.
Old 06-21-12, 09:12 PM

Flounder41 will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: any info on Cathinone in regards to ADHD treatment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bof00 View Post
It not only works similar to amphetamine, but similar to ecstasy too. It's definitely not better in terms of health. See what the World Health Organization has to say about it. http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/en/d/Js4896e/4.6.html
Cathinone is natural in a plant called Khat.
Cathinone is a phenethlyamine substitute.
There are three main classes of phenethylamine substitutes:

Substituted amphetimines
Substituted methylenedioxyphenethylamines
Substituted cathinone

(These classes all contain drugs that are amphetimine esq but some are used as antidepressants, and some are extremely hallucinogenic. )

There are many many drugs that contain the molecular structure Of one of the three chemicals stated above in there molecular structure. It's considered the base of the structure and other chunks of cabbage go off that.

So any way what im getting at is they all contain the phenethylamine structure so they're all related and work off the same receptors.

But MDMA (extacy), belongs to the substituted methylenedioxyphenethylamine
Class
And cathinone, well it belongs to the substituted cathinone class.

A drug many of you may be aware of from recent stories in the news
Called MDPV belongs to the substituted cathinone class.

MDPV is better known as "bath salts" FYI.

I think it's pretty funny that most people I've talked to
Think it's actually bathsalt, like from bed bath and beyond. Haha

Anyway, the illicit drugs of the comming generations are all going to be from these classes. It will be interesting to see what's to come, seeing an amount half the size of your pinky finger nail is more than enough, they tend to last 16-30 hours and they're sold for cheep to begin with. Look up research chemicals
If your interested in how they work… I find it somewhat interesting
Old 09-19-17, 12:37 PM

cosmicvibration is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicvibration View Post
This is a reply to a relatively old post I live in Israel where Khat is legal. I have tried Khat... It does have a calming affect on me, and seems to affect me in a similar but different manner as that of Ritalin. I would consider Khat as a much milder stimulant. However, I have not come across any research regarding the ADHD and the use of this stimulant.
Consumption of the Khat plant is cultural and has remained outside of the paradigm of western medicine, accordingly no emperical research into the potential medicinal properties of this plant exists. Khat is similar in analogy to herbs and plants used in Chinese medicine in that it contains medicinal properties that have yet to be verified by western medicine.

This plant had been chewed for its stimulant properties for thousands of years in the Horn of Afria and the Arabian penninsula as tobacco (nicotine) has been consumed in other parts of the world for the same duraction to mention the same as with coffee for its caffiene properties.
Old 09-19-17, 02:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,086 Times in 821 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

I had khat tea daily, for three days, about 16 years ago.

I never tried chewing on coca leaves.

But I wondered if it was similar to chewing on coca leaves?

I stopped using khat, because it scared me, that I liked it so much.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 09-19-17 at 02:58 PM..