ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-16-05, 10:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

LacyLew is on a distinguished road
Suddenly I'm sleepy

20 mg of Adderall XR seems to be good for me. But now I'm not sure - every day this week within a couple hours after taking it, I get SO TIRED all I want to do is take a nap. And that feeling stays with me for the rest of the day. I can't get anything done and I have no motivation to do anything. I've been on this dose for about a month, is it time to increase it?

My pdoc also increased my Zoloft from 50 mg to 100 mg. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I've also tried the IR pills and hate them.
Old 12-16-05, 02:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

barbyma has disabled reputation
I've felt a little sleepy with Adderall XR, too, but I first felt it after about a week. The increase you described in Zoloft is pretty big and probably the culprit. Everyone is effected by SSRI's differently, but I've always taken my Prozac at night because it makes me sleepy.

in science there are no "authorities"
-Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Old 12-16-05, 03:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

Good idea - I'll try taking the Zoloft at night and see if it makes a difference.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-05, 12:12 AM
Contributor

Adamant1988 is on a distinguished road
I felt the sleepiness effect, but I also had the Insomnia to go with it.
I was tired, without any desire to sleep. That got me through it.
Old 12-17-05, 08:14 AM
ADDvanced Member

Jay Jay is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I am having the same problem on 50 MG a day of Adderall XR. I take my first 30 MG at 5 AM so that I am able to get going by 6, but by 9 or 10, I am so drowsy I can no longer get much done. I take another 20 MG at 10, and it helps a little, but not enough to get back up to full speed. My P-doc is still looking at why this is happening. I do have sleep problems. I fall right to sleep at 10 PM or so, in fact, I can hardly stay awake till then, but I will only sleep continuously for 3 to 4 hours, then I spend the next 3 to 4 hours in and out of sleep. This was a problem before the Adderall however.

We are considering the possibility I may be an ultra rapid metabolizer, or that I may be having a paradoxical reaction as some do to stimulants and may actually need a lower dose. I recently switched from Strattera to Cymbalta - which has been great! I take the Cymbalta at bedtime because it does make me drowsy.

If anyone out there knows the answer, I'd be much more than grateful to know why this is happening to me.
Keith
Old 12-17-05, 06:10 PM
Contributor

Nocturnal is on a distinguished road
I can almost guarantee that the increase in the Zoloft is what is making you sleepy. It's negating the effects of the Adderall. I used to take 20mg of Lexapro and boy would that just make me KNOCK out even with taking Adderall.
Old 12-18-05, 03:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

Amazing what you can learn on these boards. The last two nights I took the Zoloft at night, and I slept really well! (woke up only 2-3 times rather than 5-7!!)

I've felt more alert during the day too. You guys are great!!
Old 12-19-05, 01:52 PM
Jr Member

Rhodeo is on a distinguished road
My Dr. has started me on 5 mg of Adderall, but I found that I didn't feel a thing. The Dr. gave me the option of increasing my dosage to 10 mg, which I did, however I find that it only makes me sleepy! From what I understand, Adderall is supposed to make you hyper, not sleepy. Am I just retarded? I decided to take 15 mg, and again, I was knocked out w/in a couple of hours. What should I do? Should I ask my Dr. increase my dosage even more? I am interested to hear other people's experiences!

thanks!
Old 12-19-05, 02:18 PM

Maxprime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodeo
My Dr. has started me on 5 mg of Adderall, but I found that I didn't feel a thing. The Dr. gave me the option of increasing my dosage to 10 mg, which I did, however I find that it only makes me sleepy! From what I understand, Adderall is supposed to make you hyper, not sleepy. Am I just retarded? I decided to take 15 mg, and again, I was knocked out w/in a couple of hours. What should I do? Should I ask my Dr. increase my dosage even more? I am interested to hear other people's experiences!

thanks!
On an ADHD brain, stimulants actually have the opposite effect that they are designed for. There are many neurologic arguments for why this happens - I can get into them or you can google them (if you even care). Long story short - that's why you want this stuff! It should calm you down.

As for the higher dosages making you feel sleepy, your Dr. should always know more than us online. Your brain could be handling the chemical differently or it could just be that Adderall is something that doesn't work for you. I would definitely call your MD and ask about switching or dosage change - maybe you need another 5mg and it will really perk you up or maybe you need to switch altogether.

A thought that was mentioned earlier - if you metabolize the meds extremely quickly - you could be getting a steep takedown. If you never feel concentrated and feel sleepy from the first minute they take effect, then it is something that will need to be changed. Search on the boards, I've heard of this problem before.
Old 12-19-05, 02:20 PM

Maxprime is on a distinguished road
I will add that it takes your brain some time to get used to these meds - it could be grossly over-compensating and therefore putting you to sleep. If it is making you sleepy enough to affect work/school, I would talk to your MD. If not, I may give it a few more days to see if things get better.
Old 12-24-05, 07:13 PM

TMI is on a distinguished road
I was tired and yawning all the time recently when I started Adderal XR 10mg. Co-workers called me "Prince Valium." After three days that effect vanished.

I like the effect but need to talk to the doc about somehow extending it to midnight on school nights. I've seen lots of good options on this board, but will ask the doc what he thinks and listen. I can do that now. Bwaaaa haa haa haaa!
Old 12-27-05, 02:25 AM
ADDvanced Member

Braack is on a distinguished road
I have taken many SSRI's. The one that made me sleep ALL the time was zoloft. However, you are using two chemicals, so it may be hard to decipher which is actually causing the sleepiness.
People just taking the chemicals and diving in without having any kind of preparation about what they're about to experience tend to have no frame of reference...It's just a waste...they end up going, 'Well, now I need that drug to get back there again.' The trick is to use the drugs once to get there, and maybe spend the next ten years trying to get back there without the drug.
~Maynard James Keenan
Old 12-27-05, 03:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

I totally blame the zoloft for the sleepiness now. I've been taking the adderall in the morning and the zoloft at suppertime for the past ten days. I've been going to sleep just fine. Now if I could just find a way to stop hubby from snoring and waking me up!!!
Old 12-27-05, 05:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

barbyma has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by LacyLew
I totally blame the zoloft for the sleepiness now. I've been taking the adderall in the morning and the zoloft at suppertime for the past ten days. I've been going to sleep just fine. Now if I could just find a way to stop hubby from snoring and waking me up!!!
Do what I do -- sleep on the sofa!!

Unfortunately, DH and I both snore. I sleep like a rock most of the time, but he's a light sleeper. I'm disturbed because he's constantly waking me up to ask me to roll over!!

in science there are no "authorities"
-Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.