ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-04, 10:51 PM

StreetBlues is on a distinguished road
18 years old. ADD and maybe depression

Hi,

I went to get help for my ADD a few weeks ago and got perscribed with Ritalin. 3 10mg pills per day. I've been taking it with coffee (pretty much the only thing I drink), I havent noticed it working too much, infact I think I've been maybe less organized and lost concentration with it, but am scared the doctor is just gonna give up if I tell him it doesnt work. He says usually adults lose the ADD symptons when they are 18 (which I am).

I filled out a depression questionarre that ended up showing I had moderate depression but I sometimes feel great so I dont know if I really do have depression or not. But I am so sick of not knowing what I want in life, and never wanting to go out and do things I want to do anymore.

I have a job opportunity in the East Coast right now and I am currently on the west, I dont know if I should go because I dont know what the heck I want to do, I wish I new what I wanted and am getting so frustrated.

Now let me just point out that I used to enjoy life up until a few months ago then I just became lazy, unmotivated etc. I also ask really random questions and say random things, which seems normal to me, but everyone seems to find it very weird.

My question is .. Do I have ADD/ADHD and Depression, 1 of the 2 or what. I am never suicidal but I am quite the odd character and I hate not being able to make up my mind or get important tasks, such as my taxes that are over a year late done.

Please advise !
Old 11-12-04, 12:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
That isn't a question any of us can answer for sure. By the general tone of your post, you could very well be depressed. Depression alone can cause a lot of ADD-like symptoms.

I think I'd go see a psychiatrist or a therapist.
Old 11-12-04, 12:25 AM
Forum ADDvocate

charlie is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forums StreetBlues,

Your doctor shouldn't give up, not if he's up-to-date and knowledgeable about ADD. It may be time for a different RX though, just explain to your doc how you feel.

Good luck on your decision about taking a new job sounds like something everyone I know would be questioning themselves about, 'should I, shouldn't I'.

Sorry cannot answer any other of your questions about what you have. Are you comfortable with your current doc are looking for a new one?

avatar= Carol Kane Angel :Scrooged

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-04, 02:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Kimalimah has a spectacular aura aboutKimalimah has a spectacular aura about
I agree with the above, that it might be time for a different doctor, if this one isn't willing to take the time to find answers for you. As you can see from reading here in the forums, ADD does not always go away in the teen years. There are many of us who just got diagnoses in our 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's.

In addition, finding the right medication and dosage takes time. Each person reacts differently to different meds and dosages and you and your doctor need to have patience during this process (painful as that can be).

As to the question of ADD and/or depression, I think we're talking a bit of which came first, the chicken or the egg. Depression can mimic ADD, coping with untreated ADD can lead to depression. Talking to a therapist can only help. Medicine is only a tool for helping us attain a state where we can learn and adapt. It isn't a "magic pill" that makes all of our troubles go away.

Try and take things one little step at a time. Glad to have you here in the forums.

Kim