ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 07-01-16, 05:53 PM
Contributor

mrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to all
Did neuropsych test at age 4. Do these results show ADHD? Thoughts?

I scored in the bottom 25 percentile for Memory (reflective of short term auditory and visual memory) and bottom 1 percentile of motor coordination. I scored insanely high on the verbal index like better than 92 percent of population (how I express myself verbally and maturity of verbal responses) and average in perceptual-performance (reasoning ability through manipulation of materials). Do these results basically show that I had ADHD at an early age? I know motor coordination issues and adhd are highly linked, and working memory difficulties are a major part of ADHD. The reason why my verbal score is so damn high is bc my parents read voraciously to me and i think that may have been why I wasn't diagnosed till later in life. I also found the results of a terra nova and I scored in the bottom 21 percentile in memory at age 9 on the terra nova same with Non verbal and verbal. Thoughts? Do these results show I have ADHD or provide any evidence? Also do you think my high verbal index might explain why my condition wasn't recognized till later in life (dxed at age 20)? Basically I had to be the king of bsing to succeed at all with my ADHD. Oh and My mom basically tried to block me from seeing these records last night to the point where she assaulted me, but it's just wow. It just clicks so god damn well with my ADHD and shocks the **** out of me because my working memory and motor coordination issues due to ADHD have been consistent from a young age. I'm so sure now my mom knew all along and didn't want me finding my records.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrh235 For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-01-16), Tetrahedra (07-01-16)
Old 07-01-16, 08:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

Tetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really nice
Re: Did neuropsych test at age 4. Do these results show ADHD? Thoughts?

I'm not familiar with these tests. Are you ranked verse other 4 year olds, or is it like EVERYONE takes the test, and you were in the 25th percentile amongst all people regardless of age?

Your story sounds similar to mind. I've never taken tests like that, but I was able to "hide" my ADHD for years and years because I was a smart cookie and did well academically. My parents knew I struggled in certain things all along but brushed it aside and told me I should just work harder. I don't know why there's this weird fear of ADHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tetrahedra For This Useful Post:
mrh235 (07-01-16)
Old 07-01-16, 08:49 PM
Contributor

mrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to allmrh235 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrahedra View Post
I'm not familiar with these tests. Are you ranked verse other 4 year olds, or is it like EVERYONE takes the test, and you were in the 25th percentile amongst all people regardless of age?

Your story sounds similar to mind. I've never taken tests like that, but I was able to "hide" my ADHD for years and years because I was a smart cookie and did well academically. My parents knew I struggled in certain things all along but brushed it aside and told me I should just work harder. I don't know why there's this weird fear of ADHD.
Versus other four year olds. If it was against other ages it'd be totally understandable that I scored that bad. I'm surprised I had one of those tests because it provides such good evidence my ADHD was the same as it was age 4.

Yea I feel you so much my mom knew my attention and Memory issues and went to insane extremes to cover it up and that's why she's so mad about me going through my records. My mom spent years trying to convince everyone and myself that I was a genius. Not only did I not live up to normal expectations but I definitely didn't live up to hers. It's so sad because on every test or assignment I bombed I always wrote A++ because I really wanted to live up to my parents' expectations and felt horrible. It's no wonder I had so many issues with my self-esteem and felt so damn guilty as a kid.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-16, 09:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,556 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh235 View Post
Do these results basically show that I had ADHD at an early age?
No. They show something, but they do not show you had ADHD. There are no (clinically validated) tests for ADHD.

Also, ADHD diagnosis is based on the presentation of symptoms, and that cannot be done for symptoms present before age 7.

Quote:
I know motor coordination issues and adhd are highly linked...
I do not know this to be the case, and I have read a fair bit on the disorder. I do not recall ever coming across a study or citation that clinically validated this.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 07-01-16, 09:31 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
No. They show something, but they do not show you had ADHD. There are no (clinically validated) tests for ADHD.

Also, ADHD diagnosis is based on the presentation of symptoms, and that cannot be done for symptoms present before age 7.

I do not know this to be the case, and I have read a fair bit on the disorder. I do not recall ever coming across a study or citation that clinically validated this.

Cheers,
Ian
http://addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173579 There are a huge number of studies about this, I just found that out a few months ago by describing my issues and asking here. It blows my mind, but makes sense since the same dopaminergic controlled portions of the brain such as the basal ganglia are associated with ADHD and motor coordination. It makes a lot of sense that deficiencies in both are commonly present in ADHDers, and there are a lot of marks on my report card about bad motor coordination while trying to focus. Also my motor coordination improved significantly on meds and my psychiatrist even predicted this when I was first diagnosed.

My psychiatrist confirmed everything the articles in that thread said and also a link between sleep restlessness and ADHD.
So given that the working memory and motor coordination issues I experienced have remained consistent through my life even from age 4, and both are strongly associated with ADHD, do you think this neuropsych provides informative evidence about my condition?

My psychiatrist was amazed at how consistent it is and he's a neuropsychiatrist. I brought this up with him today, and said it does show that my issues were always this way and that I didn't just develop ADHD (we know that doesn't happen but it does show that) I get age 4 is young but it's the same issues I've had throughout life with ADHD and is so consistent with the issues I described and were evaluated for that got my ADHD diagnosed and understood. That's why I think it's informative.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrh235 For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-01-16)
Old 07-01-16, 09:47 PM

Hiddencreations has a spectacular aura aboutHiddencreations has a spectacular aura about

Test scores by themselves cannot indicate a diagnosis of ADHD, however there is a profile that is common with people with ADHD. This includes: poor working memory and a low processing speed. Working memory deficits are obvious with ADHD and is evident with our executive dysfunction. The other is processing speed, which is how accurately you can get something done, which can be an issue due to impulsivity or a lack of noticing mistakes.

Now, no person could look at scores on a paper and say that this person definitely has ADHD. The test scores should be used more as a tool when determining which accommodations or where support is needed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hiddencreations For This Useful Post:
mrh235 (07-01-16), namazu (07-01-16)
Old 07-01-16, 09:55 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddencreations View Post
Test scores by themselves cannot indicate a diagnosis of ADHD, however there is a profile that is common with people with ADHD. This includes: poor working memory and a low processing speed. Working memory deficits are obvious with ADHD and is evident with our executive dysfunction. The other is processing speed, which is how accurately you can get something done, which can be an issue due to impulsivity or a lack of noticing mistakes.

Now, no person could look at scores on a paper and say that this person definitely has ADHD. The test scores should be used more as a tool when determining which accommodations or where support is needed.
Do you thing my results match the profile or show evidence of those common issues associated with ADHD? I really think they do and I'm hoping this will be good evidence if I ever have to switch doctors because my issues have stayed the same throughout life.
You're right that no test indicates ADHD which is annoying because doctors often like to act like **** like the tova does when it's Anything but infallible. I wish there was an accurate test but overgeneralizations about ADHD and how it shows or doesn't show on tests cause a bunch of adhders to slip through the cracks without being diagnosed .
Also ADHD can be diagnosed as young as 4

Last edited by mrh235; 07-01-16 at 10:18 PM..
namazu (07-01-16)
Old 07-01-16, 10:09 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,681 Times in 10,404 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
^^^This.

I'd say that those test results could be "consistent" with a diagnosis of ADHD, as working memory is a common difficulty, as you noted. There was clearly a large gap between your skills in that area and motor skills and your verbal skills.

But formal tests have a lot of limitations in characterizing ADHD. There are people who test similarly who may have spatial difficulties but not the behavioral symptoms of ADHD. There are people with ADHD who seem to do well in formal testing situations but fall apart in real life, because the constructs they tap, and the settings, and the structure, are different. Furthermore, there's no "one way to test" with ADHD -- there was an interesting study by Joel Nigg and colleagues a while back that categorized several different profiles or patterns on neuropsych tests -- and ADHDers weren't confined to any one "type".

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon
ADHD is diagnosed in younger children as well. The CDC and American Academy of Pediatrics officially suggest age 4 as the lower limit of valid diagnosis, though in some kids differences may be apparent even earlier.

It is be more difficult to diagnose in younger children because the range of typical behavior in small kids includes things that in older children might be considered symptoms, and because developmental delays are usually more obvious after kids have had more chance to develop (or to fall further behind their peers).

Diagnosis at very young ages is certainly more controversial in some quarters, and not without some valid reasons.

But when kids diverge markedly from their peers in terms of ability to control their behavior, to listen, and to learn, and it's not a result of environmental problems, and it causes serious risks to the child and disruption to the family, ADHD can be considered.

Quote:
There is considerable evidence of comorbidity between ADHD and dyspraxia (developmental coordination disorder), as well as more subtle motor control issues.

In some people, ADHD medication partly or mostly alleviates the motor difficulties, while in others it doesn't.

Some of the overlap may be due to poor inhibitory control, some may be due to poor timing or sequencing abilities leading to problems executing a sequence of movements, and some may be due to other causes.

There have been some studies looking at potentially shared genetic and/or physiological markers, like this one on white matter microstructure.

Here's one looking from more of a phenomenological/taxonomic perspective.

Martha Denckla and Stewart Mostofsky at Johns Hopkins/Kennedy Krieger have done some interesting work on the overlap of motoric and executive dysfunction. Here's one example discussing "mirror overflow", i.e. failure to inhibit muscles on one side of the body from joining in when only the other side of the body is called upon to move.

(And here are some contradictory findings for good measure! Caveat: based primarily on neuropsych test measurement of attentional domains.)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-01-16), mrh235 (07-01-16), Tetrahedra (07-01-16), TygerSan (07-01-16)
Old 07-01-16, 10:44 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,258 Times in 5,369 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

The uneven skills profile usually indicates that your brain isn't exactly standard-issue. Could be ADHD. Could be a learning disability of some kind (non-verbal learning disability has a profile of high verbal and low motor skills, for example).

I don't exactly have a diagnosis of ADHD, rather a learning disability in visual motor integration. I do wonder what my diagnosis would be if I were growing up today. It would have been *much* harder for me to have gotten the services that allowed me to thrive in the school environment.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
mrh235 (07-01-16), namazu (07-01-16)
Old 07-01-16, 10:47 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
The uneven skills profile usually indicates that your brain isn't exactly standard-issue. Could be ADHD. Could be a learning disability of some kind (non-verbal learning disability has a profile of high verbal and low motor skills, for example).

I don't exactly have a diagnosis of ADHD, rather a learning disability in visual motor integration. I do wonder what my diagnosis would be if I were growing up today. It would have been *much* harder for me to have gotten the services that allowed me to thrive in the school environment.
Very interesting, something really interesting is that treating my ADHD really improved my visual learning capabilities, so I think it's ADHD related because once I was able to focus the problem sorted itself out.
namazu (07-01-16)
Old 07-01-16, 10:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,556 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I am aware there are lots and lots of studies, and lots of evidence, and lots of papers.

But going back to what I said originally, I don’t know any of it to be clinically validated.

Until then, I think using the score from a neuropsych test administered at age 4 as a means
to demonstrate the presence of ADHD in a given individual is not just taking large liberties,
but a willful disregard of the science as we know it, and a step into illusory and wishful thinking.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-01-16)
Old 07-01-16, 10:50 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
^^^This.

I'd say that those test results could be "consistent" with a diagnosis of ADHD, as working memory is a common difficulty, as you noted. There was clearly a large gap between your skills in that area and motor skills and your verbal skills.

But formal tests have a lot of limitations in characterizing ADHD. There are people who test similarly who may have spatial difficulties but not the behavioral symptoms of ADHD. There are people with ADHD who seem to do well in formal testing situations but fall apart in real life, because the constructs they tap, and the settings, and the structure, are different. Furthermore, there's no "one way to test" with ADHD -- there was an interesting study by Joel Nigg and colleagues a while back that categorized several different profiles or patterns on neuropsych tests -- and ADHDers weren't confined to any one "type".

ADHD is diagnosed in younger children as well. The CDC and American Academy of Pediatrics officially suggest age 4 as the lower limit of valid diagnosis, though in some kids differences may be apparent even earlier.

It is be more difficult to diagnose in younger children because the range of typical behavior in small kids includes things that in older children might be considered symptoms, and because developmental delays are usually more obvious after kids have had more chance to develop (or to fall further behind their peers).

Diagnosis at very young ages is certainly more controversial in some quarters, and not without some valid reasons.

But when kids diverge markedly from their peers in terms of ability to control their behavior, to listen, and to learn, and it's not a result of environmental problems, and it causes serious risks to the child and disruption to the family, ADHD can be considered.

There is considerable evidence of comorbidity between ADHD and dyspraxia (developmental coordination disorder), as well as more subtle motor control issues.

In some people, ADHD medication partly or mostly alleviates the motor difficulties, while in others it doesn't.

Some of the overlap may be due to poor inhibitory control, some may be due to poor timing or sequencing abilities leading to problems executing a sequence of movements, and some may be due to other causes.

There have been some studies looking at potentially shared genetic and/or physiological markers, like this one on white matter microstructure.

Here's one looking from more of a phenomenological/taxonomic perspective.

Martha Denckla and Stewart Mostofsky at Johns Hopkins/Kennedy Krieger have done some interesting work on the overlap of motoric and executive dysfunction. Here's one example discussing "mirror overflow", i.e. failure to inhibit muscles on one side of the body from joining in when only the other side of the body is called upon to move.

(And here are some contradictory findings for good measure! Caveat: based primarily on neuropsych test measurement of attentional domains.)
Thanks for the very informative post. It's very interesting what you posted about the different testing profiles of ADHD, there's a subtype that has a really strong working memory and processing speed which is confusing because working memory deficits and processing speed issues are a defining characteristic of adhd.
namazu (07-01-16)
Old 07-01-16, 11:00 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the very informative post. It's very interesting what you posted about the different testing profiles of ADHD, there's a subtype that has a really strong working memory and processing speed which is confusing because working memory deficits and processing speed issues are a defining characteristic of adhd.
Yeah, it's confusing, isn't it?!

The ADHD diagnostic criteria do not require formal evidence of problems with working memory or with processing speed, so in that sense, they're not defining characteristics of ADHD.

That said, the way researchers have been conceptualizing ADHD, as a disorder of executive function that implicates working memory problems, it's fair to say that working memory issues are a defining characteristic of ADHD. (At least for some definitions!) I think slow processing speed is also common in ADHD, but perhaps less intrinsic to the prevailing models.

And that said, "working memory" as measured by one specific test may differ from "working memory" as measured by a second specific test, and it may differ pretty substantially from "working memory" as demonstrated by real-life functioning. And "working memory" in real life may be influenced by a lot of other factors as well -- environment, distractions, novelty of situation, etc.

Messy stuff!
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
mrh235 (07-01-16)
Old 07-01-16, 11:00 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Yes, I am aware there are lots and lots of studies, and lots of evidence, and lots of papers.

But going back to what I said originally, I don’t know any of it to be clinically validated.

Until then, I think using the score from a neuropsych test administered at age 4 as a means
to demonstrate the presence of ADHD in a given individual is not just taking large liberties,
but a willful disregard of the science as we know it, and a step into illusory and wishful thinking.

Cheers,
Ian
There's definitely a correlation, especially when you look at how motor coordination and focus/attention/short-term memory are associated with the same areas of the brain. It's very applicable in my case too since treatment for my adhd got rid of my motor coordination issues.

ADHD can be diagnosed at age 4 according to updated to criteria by the american academy of pediatrics, so I'm not sure how it's taking large liberties, willfully disregarding science, and a step into illusionary and wishful, especially since these issues on the test are associated with ADHD and have been the same for me lifelong. Even if not overly predictive they do highlight a common trend.
Old 07-01-16, 11:13 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Quote:

Ah, I missed the "clinically-". My bad.

As a stand-alone diagnostic "test" for ADHD, no.

As part of a complete breakfast, err, picture, it does provide some additional insight into the scope/nature of the issues.

Quote:
Until then, I think using the score from a neuropsych test administered at age 4 as a means to demonstrate the presence of ADHD in a given individual is not just taking large liberties, but a willful disregard of the science as we know it, and a step into illusory and wishful thinking.
If that were the sole evidence, I'd agree.
But if it's part of a longer medical history and accompanied by other evidence of symptoms and impairment, there's nothing untoward about it.
How useful it is, I don't know -- depends on what is meant by "useful". Here it sounds like "useful" roughly means "showing evidence of a long history of stuff, and not just something I made up today to get drugs". And for that, I think it could help, if the doctor is one of those who won't make a diagnosis without some hard evidence that there was some suspicion of a problem in childhood.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-01-16), mrh235 (07-01-16)