ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 10-29-09, 04:05 PM

frustrADDed will become famous soon enough
Study Abroad?

This is mostly venting, and a few questions. Skip to the end if you only want the questions but I really hope someone will read the vent.

Anyways, I partially picked my college because of the high percentage of people who study abroad/great emphasis on the importance of it. Also, my school boasts a 99% acceptance rate to every study abroad program, which I thought was great. Turns out, the reason that rate is so high is because you have to apply for an application (?) through the school, and they weed out anyone who they think might not get accepted. I just met with someone from the study abroad office here and first disclosed my ADD and then disclosed my current GPA.

When I talked to the person in the disabilities office, she said my freshman year GPA (I'm currently a sophomore) may not be an issue because I didn't know I had ADD at the time and was really really struggling. I brought my GPA up a whole grade point second semester (still with no knowledge of having ADD), but that first semester is seriously dragging me down. I'll be devastated if I don't get to go abroad, and I know my family will be very disappointed in me too, they have always emphasized the importance of being a "world citizen".

Anyways, the person at the study abroad office basically told me I have no chance of going. I have to have at least a 3.0 to be considered to apply for the application, which means I have to get a 4.0 this semester (already not happening, since I have no access to any help except for meds that aren't working, it's pretty much that same as last year, except a few accommodations that don't help much). I told her what the disabilities office said and she just kind of ignored it and said that even if I applied to a program, there's so many other people applying with great GPAs that I'll never get accepted.

It's really frustrating too because I found a great program that looks like it would really cater to my learning style, and I meet the minimum GPA requirement on the website, but it sounds like I won't be allowed to apply.

On to the questions:
-Do any of you know of any study abroad programs that do take learning disabilities into consideration?
-How do I convince them to let me apply?
-Does the disabilities office really have any pull in this? I feel like even if I sent an application to programs with a disclaimer about my freshman year, they would reject me just for having a disability without looking at anything else.

From my reading on here it sounds like once I get the help I need in learning to control my ADD (which I'm hoping will happen over winter break), I'll be able to function just like anyone else. (Ego Alert) I'm actually quite intelligent (as most of you are also I'm sure), which is why I was never diagnosed until now (I never had to study in high school), so I'm certain I could handle the work and do it well if my mind would just let me. I just don't know how to show that to them.