ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 09-13-11, 02:14 PM

pandapup will become famous soon enough
How possible is it to get addicted to meds?

Hello I am writing this wanting some answers to questions that I have.

I am scared of addiction. I am currently addicted to cigarettes and I feel like if I became addicted to another substance my life would be over..

I have taken drugs in the past during a period in my life when I was very depressed (I didn't know that there was anything called ADHD or social anxiety disorder at the time). I used to be really bad but I wasnt addicted. It was more like wanting to forget about my problems. I DID have a substance issue back then even though I did not take many drugs.. I still wanted to to have fun. I even met up with ppl online to take drugs I was so stupid.

It is now 6 months since then and I have medication for my adhd. I am worried about becoming addicted.

So my questions are:

-How does addiction happen? Do you have to abuse the medication like take 3x the reccomended dosage over a period of time?

-If you think about taking the med occasionally when you dont take your med does that make you addicted? For my cigarettes.. its a compulsive desire to smoke regardless of wanting to quit so many times. I smoke to feel normal, to relieve the low that the withdrawal causes.. When I think of taking the concerta its not this incredible need to take it where I feel depressed and anxious. I just think about taking it. Ive even gone days without thinking about it.

- Can you become addicted to stimulants if you don't feel any euphoria? If they JUST fix the problems such as clearing your head and fixing the screwed up focusing and zoning out, feeling compelled to do things and not being able to relax. I honest feel like this drug relaxes me.. is it possible to become addicted to that feeling?

- Is it normal to have a BIT more energy while taking this and to even feel a bit better? Or does that mean that the dosage is too high.

Ive been paranoid recently that maybe my dose is too high because im not sure exactly how you are supposed to feel normally on it. Its only 36mg of Concerta. I just want it to do what its supposed to. I don't want to have any chance of becoming addicted.
Old 09-13-11, 02:42 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CrushCrush is a jewel in the roughCrushCrush is a jewel in the roughCrushCrush is a jewel in the rough
Re: How possible is it to get addicted to meds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandapup View Post
I am scared of addiction. I am currently addicted to cigarettes and I feel like if I became addicted to another substance my life would be over..

It is now 6 months since then and I have medication for my adhd. I am worried about becoming addicted.
That is likely just your anxiety talking.. doom and gloom. Yes you may need to have a dependence on these substances for life. Just like a diabetic needs his insulin. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Its only 36mg of Concerta.
Lol don't worry about it.

You might want to keep away from Valiums, Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan, and all the pain killers if you have an addictive personality.

I've done a lot of recreational drugs (no heavy ones though), and I have to say, the best buzz by far was the Ativan (lorazapam). Amazing feeling.

I took it again and man there's something to be said for tolerance. I have 3 bottles sitting here. I took it 3 times in my life.
Old 09-13-11, 02:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future
Re: How possible is it to get addicted to meds?

Just take the medication as ordered by your doctor and you'll be ok.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-13-11), peripatetic (09-13-11)
Sponsored Links