ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 01-11-21, 04:05 AM
Jr Member

VetoMemo is on a distinguished road
Undiagnosed adhd

I wonder if anyone can offer advice or has been in a similar situation. I think my 18 year old has ADHD & although we have discussed this in the past he wouldnít go through with an assessment. I have suspected he has ADHD for years and feels terrible about letting him down, by not pursuing an assessment when he was younger. There are many reasons we did not seek help for him but thatís another story and a decision I deeply regret.
I need to encourage him to think about ADHD and the way this seems to be impacting his life, the difference a diagnosis and possible treatment plan could make. Does anyone have any advice on how to encourage him to go for an assessment? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-13-21, 03:37 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,459 Times in 15,510 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Undiagnosed adhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetoMemo View Post
I wonder if anyone can offer advice or has been in a similar situation. I think my 18 year old has ADHD & although we have discussed this in the past he wouldnít go through with an assessment. I have suspected he has ADHD for years and feels terrible about letting him down, by not pursuing an assessment when he was younger. There are many reasons we did not seek help for him but thatís another story and a decision I deeply regret.
I need to encourage him to think about ADHD and the way this seems to be impacting his life, the difference a diagnosis and possible treatment plan could make. Does anyone have any advice on how to encourage him to go for an assessment? Thanks in advance for any advice.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145739
This is old, my son is 24 now but it is part of our story.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-17-21, 03:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,398 Times in 3,027 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Undiagnosed adhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetoMemo View Post

ADHD can cause significant disabilities- but the reason for pursuing a diagnosis is that it is now quite well understood, and effective treatment is available.

That is not so much the case with many similar disorders.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
namazu (01-17-21), PoppnNSailinMan (01-17-21)
Sponsored Links