ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-21, 02:22 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,459 Times in 15,510 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
New mutation/covid variant

How do people feel about this? I know there's a hugely contagious variant in the UK, and (south africa) or is it Africa? I heard the African variant is even worse than the one in the UK. Of course it has already gotten to the US but that was a given. I know virus's mutate and this is to be expected but for example- the flu mutates but does it become as contagious as covid mutations/variants are? Have any studies been done on the vaccine's effect with any variants? I feel like covid is so bad that we may have to get annul vaccines like the flu every year? Does that make any sense?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (01-08-21), Lunacie (01-05-21)
Old 01-05-21, 05:20 PM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,331 Times in 2,626 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New mutation/covid variant

In talking to my pdoc yesterday, as we have been dealing with my stress and anxiety about a number of things this past year, and he indicated that without the required research into these areas we are left to being in the dark until more time has passed. I know that doesn't help but that is unfortunately where we are. What is available to date, there is a high likelihood, according to him, that this will be an annual vaccine. He did lessen my fear over the vaccine as I'm not as thrilled with the MRNA therapy, which I know has been around for like 30years but artificial things just go against my grain. As I watch the mutation unfold, the reaction of people to the vaccine and as more research unfolds into all aspects of the virus, I am sticking to a wait and see game plan. Hub is completely against it, Lizzer, because of her condition, is hopeful to get it soon and Bud is in the same boat as me. Dad is hesitant as well but knows he needs to do something if he wants to live longer into his 80's. I just hope I know more sooner rather than later. After years of wanting to die and trying to act upon it...I crossed the road several years ago where I love and appreciate life. Really not ready to call it quits just yet so I'm willing to do what's necessary to ensure longevity.

One additional tidbit he did provide...he wouldn't do anything but the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines. Which to know him is to know that his recommendation comes from an amazing, well researched and informed decision from one of the best doctor's I have ever had.

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andi For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (01-08-21), Greyhound1 (01-05-21), Lunacie (01-05-21), tudorose (01-10-21), TygerSan (01-09-21)
Old 01-05-21, 08:01 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 17,554 Times in 8,247 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi View Post
In talking to my pdoc yesterday, as we have been dealing with my stress and anxiety about a number of things this past year, and he indicated that without the required research into these areas we are left to being in the dark until more time has passed. I know that doesn't help but that is unfortunately where we are. What is available to date, there is a high likelihood, according to him, that this will be an annual vaccine. He did lessen my fear over the vaccine as I'm not as thrilled with the MRNA therapy, which I know has been around for like 30years but artificial things just go against my grain. As I watch the mutation unfold, the reaction of people to the vaccine and as more research unfolds into all aspects of the virus, I am sticking to a wait and see game plan. Hub is completely against it, Lizzer, because of her condition, is hopeful to get it soon and Bud is in the same boat as me. Dad is hesitant as well but knows he needs to do something if he wants to live longer into his 80's. I just hope I know more sooner rather than later. After years of wanting to die and trying to act upon it...I crossed the road several years ago where I love and appreciate life. Really not ready to call it quits just yet so I'm willing to do what's necessary to ensure longevity.

One additional tidbit he did provide...he wouldn't do anything but the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines. Which to know him is to know that his recommendation comes from an amazing, well researched and informed decision from one of the best doctor's I have ever had.
I’m with you on waiting to see. Very few who have been vaccinated have even received their 2nd dose yet. Only time will tell. It’s too fast and too soon for me.

I had concerns and reached out to the smartest person I’ve ever met or known. He was my roommate in college and is absolutely brilliant. He’s now a forensic pathologist and the chief medical examiner for a very large city and county.

I expressed my concerns about the vaccine and mentioned, I’ve lost a lot of faith in the FDA and the CDC and greatly value his opinion. To my surprise he has the same concerns about the vaccine, CDC and the FDA. Since he’s a valuable frontline worker along with his staff of county coroners they were offered the vaccine 2 weeks ago.

My buddy said he’s waiting a couple months to see how it affects his colleagues first before he considers it. I’m following his lead.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Andi (01-06-21), Emre22 (01-08-21), Lunacie (01-05-21), TygerSan (01-06-21)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-21, 01:45 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,804 Times in 5,563 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

The new variants are scary. Even if the UK variant isn't more severe, the fact that it's more contagious means it is going to spread like wildfire once it's here (and it's only a matter of time). It's encouraging that the vaccine is still most likely effective. There is another strain out of South Africa that may be more worrying in that regard.

In terms of the vaccine, we just got pushed up the priority list as educators. I don't know how I feel about that development, honestly. I have no problem getting the vaccine (and I'd rather get one of the two mRNA vaccines over the Oxford vaccine, TBH), but I'm torn as to whether we should be so far up the priority list.

We are still virtual for the time being (but many of our neighbors are at least in part in the school buildings, some with small groups of students). I worry that folks will be happy to get the students back in the building only for the students (who are mostly below the age of 16 and therefore completely ineligible for the vaccine) will spread the virus amongst themselves.

And even if *they* do so mostly asymptomatically (although hospitalizations among children are rising . . . ), they still live with parents and grandparents and other relatives who may not fare as well if they get sick.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (01-08-21), Greyhound1 (01-06-21), Lunacie (01-06-21), namazu (01-06-21)
Old 01-07-21, 04:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 28,121 Times in 13,536 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm just scared, over here;

the UK, more reluctant to lockdown before, is now very suddenly on total lockdown, and i feel like it's just a matter of time until it happens here in france. I am less worried for my own safety, than my mental health. and my son just started an internship he enjoys ( very fortunately, in this town , in the city archives department, he just has to walk there and not in contact with the public).

i don't mean to sound callous, i am terrified of this virus and the impact on health care and essential workers. but i want my life back.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Andi (01-07-21), Emre22 (01-08-21), excel (01-07-21), Greyhound1 (01-07-21), Lunacie (01-09-21), namazu (01-08-21)
Old 01-08-21, 06:05 PM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

I think it is too early for current vaccines to not work against new variants. I listened to an expert before, or it was developer of vaccine . I dont remember but he says that only %1 of Virus' DNA changed so vaccines will keep working. If it is true , we got lot of time for to worry about next serious mutation because it will take some time. I don't know why but i have always been optimist about pandemic,normally i am not optimist person. Maybe i just want to start working after graduating that makes me believe in optimist case. If things get worse they dont give new visa to foreigners for now as i know in Romania.

Or maybe i feel relaxed because i dont have chronic physical disorders,illnesses etc. so maybe unconsicously i think that even if i get infected , i wont have any symptoms.

About my loved ones, mom is with me at home . Where my fathers , they take serious cautions even if you go out of facility, you have to take covid test and u have to stay in quarentine for 5 days.
If things get too serious , they sent all workers back to home last march, my father has been working for that company long time, he had his salary for 3 months without working.

I hope variants wont be a big deal and we will have our lives back.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emre22 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-09-21), Andi (01-08-21), Greyhound1 (01-08-21), Lunacie (01-09-21), namazu (01-08-21)
Old 01-09-21, 04:58 AM
Contributor

SashaBV has a spectacular aura aboutSashaBV has a spectacular aura about

We've just got word that the variant bug is in Texas...not that I'm surprised. In the San Antonio area they've been averaging over 1500 cases a day. I'm in the country, however. As long as I stay home, no danger. But must shop or go to appointments in the city from time to time.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-09-21), Emre22 (01-09-21), Lunacie (01-09-21), namazu (01-09-21)
Old 01-09-21, 05:17 PM

Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,281 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

These particular variations scare me in that they spread more quickly. I am not afraid they will be immune to the vaccine yet as the uk one sounds like it isn't and I don't know much about the south Africa one.

Emre, your post makes me feel better about future newr term variations though I'm still scared that in the future there will be a worse one and our entire world will still be woefully unprepared (or at least the US where I live).

I don't like fauci even if others hold him up. He has admitted to lying twice from my recollection. His intentions were good with the lies but it backfired once and I don't want to be lied to whether he thinks its for my own good or not. And I cannot fully trust someone who clearly lies.

Both my sisters have had their first shot. They had debated waiting originally but decided to take it for a couple reasons.

One is my sisters covid experience. It lead to permanent damage and she was really afraid she was going to die for a time. We haven't seen anything to suggest the shot will likely result in death or permanent damage worse than covid itself. and with one of us already seeming to be prone to severe problems if we get covid, my other sister was afraid since she shares genes with my covid sister, getting covid might be disastrous for either of them. My sister who had covid tested negative for antibodies so she could get it again if the test was accurate. My sisters workplace have had multiple locations shut down due to covid spread. Their chances for getting covid are just too high.

Another is cause of my dad. Already they take him to drs instead of me cause they don't want me being further exposed (though I'm still exposed as he can't empty his own urine bag). They also hope to spend more time outside with him. My dad is actually the primary reason they got the shot though I think I wouldn't have supported that reason as they already watch him over the internet. I think their own safety is a good reason though so agree with their choice.

Last edited by namazu; 01-09-21 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: Please avoid political discussion on the open forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (01-09-21)
Old 01-09-21, 06:41 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,804 Times in 5,563 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't like fauci even if others hold him up. He has admitted to lying twice from my recollection. His intentions were good with the lies but it backfired once and I don't want to be lied to whether he thinks its for my own good or not. And I cannot fully trust someone who clearly lies.
AFIK, Fauci has been wrong a couple of times, but I don't recall ever hearing him caught out in a lie. We are in a global pandemic with a novel virus. The scientists didn't know jack when this started. They know a bit more now than they did then, but still not a lot.

10 months is an eternity when it comes to living with the virus, but it is nothing in the timescale that science normally operates. Waiting and deliberating is a lot of what science and scientific exploration is. It's a bunch of fits and starts and false starts and failures. The number of failed experiments and lines of inquiry dwarf the successful ones. And that sucks big time when it's life and death on the line.

Just because the guidance changes, doesn't mean people lied.

It also flat-out sucks to be a scientist in the public eye right now.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski

Last edited by namazu; 01-09-21 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: consistency with edits to post above
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-10-21)
Old 01-09-21, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
AFIK, Fauci has been wrong a couple of times, but I don't recall ever hearing him caught out in a lie.
Fauci was never caught in a lie. He admitted to lying.

The first lie was that he initially discouraged people from wearing masks really downplaying its effects on protecting people. Fauci himself says he knew at the time that it did help but he didn't want the general public to horde all the masks so health care workers wouldn't get any.

Of course he failed to tell the hospitals and medical facilities his motives and so they were initially using this as an excuse not to let their health care staff wear masks, not even their own they brought in. I think he and the cdc caused many deaths because of the way they handled things.. His intentions were good but he still purposefully misled people. So I'm just not going to completely believe everything he says outright even if I do listen to hear his opinions on things. And even though I do believe his intentions are good so I'm not trying to hate on him even if it sounds like I am.

The second time I know of that he lied had something to with a percentage. I can't remember it
unfortunately but it was the same kind of reasoning. He was lying to encourage people to do something he wanted them to do.

I'm ok with leaders not saying anything if it causes people to do things they shouldn't but I think lying/misleading shouldnt be used unless its an absolute last resort. So I disagree with fauci even if as I said I do believe his intentions are good.
Old 01-10-21, 07:07 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Fauci lied? Can you tell me where I can read about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
These particular variations scare me in that they spread more quickly. I am not afraid they will be immune to the vaccine yet as the uk one sounds like it isn't and I don't know much about the south Africa one.

Emre, your post makes me feel better about future newr term variations though I'm still scared that in the future there will be a worse one and our entire world will still be woefully unprepared (or at least the US where I live).

Both my sisters have had their first shot. They had debated waiting originally but decided to take it for a couple reasons.

One is my sisters covid experience. It lead to permanent damage and she was really afraid she was going to die for a time. We haven't seen anything to suggest the shot will likely result in death or permanent damage worse than covid itself. and with one of us already seeming to be prone to severe problems if we get covid, my other sister was afraid since she shares genes with my covid sister, getting covid might be disastrous for either of them. My sister who had covid tested negative for antibodies so she could get it again if the test was accurate. My sisters workplace have had multiple locations shut down due to covid spread. Their chances for getting covid are just too high.

Another is cause of my dad. Already they take him to drs instead of me cause they don't want me being further exposed (though I'm still exposed as he can't empty his own urine bag). They also hope to spend more time outside with him. My dad is actually the primary reason they got the shot though I think I wouldn't have supported that reason as they already watch him over the internet. I think their own safety is a good reason though so agree with their choice.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
TygerSan (01-10-21)
Old 01-10-21, 07:13 AM
Mod-A-holic

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...ktm-story.html

I found this regarding Fauci being accused of lying about masks and herd immunity percentage

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
TygerSan (01-10-21)
Old 01-10-21, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...ktm-story.html

I found this regarding Fauci being accused of lying about masks and herd immunity percentage
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahba...masks-n2570789

This is a conservative news source but liberals say the same things just with less harsh words.

Edit: I decided to dig up faucis initial interview which I will link below. He purposefully downplays how helpful masks are to the public because he didn't want them holding them so medical professionals could get some. Not helpful and yet medical professionals need them...hmm. though he does admit this is his reasoning but still he downplays their helpfulness which is a lie and he knew it.

Fauci does not speaklike an expert wanting to telling you all of the facts and share unbiased knowledge with you. He speaks like a reporter with a clear slant which maybe starts as a truth but then uses certain words or omits certain things purposefully trying to make you believe a lie (whether he does it with truths or not)

I've also linked a fauci interview about opening schools. Its long so I'd skip to 10:11 where he talkscaboyt opening schools. You'll see how he talks about kids not likely to get sick from the disease but nothing about the teachers, janitors, etc it will kill. There's a clearvslant to get you to support opening schools.

I'm not a fan of Rubio but I do believe he is right
In that fauci thinks we're a bunch of kids that need to be misled or not told the full truth to do the right thing. I'll have to say, I don't believe he's wrong about us but he still shouldn't be misleading us. There are other ways. I do personally listen but I treat him like I do any news source, with a grain if salt, seeing if he has a bias. Not as an expert we should believe every word from.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...f-IpI5ddc_imi9

https://youtu.be/1Nj9z_dEFpU
Old 01-13-21, 07:58 AM
Jr Member

VetoMemo is on a distinguished road

This new variant of infections is continuously growing here in Florida. I hope you guys are right that the existing vaccines will still be useful against this, as 2020 has been too much for me and my family. I don't want to think that 2021 will be another roadblock of hardships.
Old 01-13-21, 05:33 PM

Thanked 27,969 Times in 12,980 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

My oldest granddaughter's roomie has covid, got it from workmate.
But my granddaughter tested negative.
Does she stay with roomie?
Does she come and quarantine at home?
My daughter thinks she and the granddaughter who lives at home should also get tested.
But that granddaughter (autistic) insists that she feels fine and doesn't need to get tested.

Meanwhile the polar vortex is shifting and I have a migraine from he!!.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me