ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Other Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-19, 04:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,703 Times in 12,472 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Allergies

Does anyone else get unusual reactions to allergens?

I've had the hardest time lately getting medical staff to believe that allergies
can cause swelling in the feet and legs as well as the face and sinuses.
This edema happens every April, for at least 40 years.

The PA prescribed Singulair a little over two weeks ago, but it's not helping.
I did some reading and realized the Aleve I've been taking for migraines may
increase water retention and edema so I gave that up for now and have been
using the Norco that I try to use very sparingly.

Called the nurse yesterday to leave a message for the PA, but she's on vacation.
The nurse thought I was blaming the edema on the Singulair and told me to
just stop taking it. Uh no, I had the edema before and thought the PA said the
Singulair would help. Finally ended up on the same page, I think, and I got an
appointment to see the doctor this morning.

Some confusion with the doctor. Singular isn't meant to treat edema, I should
go for a heart test of some kind. I said, my heart has been fine, it didn't just
suddenly cause my feet to swell because it's allergy season. Well, how about
trying a diuretic? I said I already take one in combination with my blood
pressure med. And I pee all the freaking time so what else can he suggest?

I'm still not sure he accepted that this swelling is caused by allergies, he said
to do RICE (rest, ice, compression stockings and elevation). Finally he asked
what has helped me in the past and I reported that a couple of years ago the
PA gave me a shot of corticosteroid that helped quite a bit. We can give you
one of those, he says. I'd prefer that to a diuretic, so I got the shot.

Waiting to see if I'll be able to wear my sandals again. Right now I can barely
tolerate flip-flops.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-25-19), namazu (04-26-19)
Old 04-26-19, 01:25 AM
Contributor

SashaBV will become famous soon enough
Re: Allergies

Reminds me of something I had for many years...headache (sometimes severe), often with nausea and or even vomiting. My new doctor knew I had some allergies. He explained how Singulair could be used for allergies off-label. So he started me on that. At first, it didn't impress me too much. But after quite a while I noticed I hadn't had the headaches with the nausea/vomiting in a long time. Was I impressed? LOL! I almost thought that doctor walked on water for a while! Still taking Singulair now. Glad your doctor actually listened to you. They so seldom do!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-26-19), namazu (04-26-19)
Old 04-26-19, 12:29 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

My feet and legs are still swollen, but I woke up with way more energy this
morning than usual.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-26-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-19, 08:04 PM

Thanked 5,503 Times in 2,385 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

This has helped me. Low histamine and low palate diet. Don't get swelling or run So symptoms anywhere near as he now. No cheese spinach alcohol dark chocolate.... basically all the good stuff. But it does help
Lunacie (04-26-19)
Old 04-26-19, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
This has helped me. Low histamine and low palate diet. Don't get swelling or run So symptoms anywhere near as he now. No cheese spinach alcohol dark chocolate.... basically all the good stuff. But it does help
OK, I googled "low histamine diet" and found this:

Quote:
The following foods contain a high level of histamine:

fermented dairy products, such as cheese (especially aged), yogurt, sour cream, buttermilk, and kefir
fermented vegetables, such as sauerkraut and kimchi
pickles or pickled veggies
kombucha
cured or fermented meats, such as sausages, salami, and fermented ham
wine, beer, alcohol, and champagne
fermented soy products such as tempeh, miso, soy sauce, and natto
fermented grains, such as sourdough bread
tomatoes
eggplant
spinach
frozen, salted, or canned fish, such as sardines and tuna
vinegar
tomato ketchup
The only listed foods that I eat are aged cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, and
spinach. And I only eat them maybe once a week or less. That would make
doing an elimination diet pretty easy.

tudorose (05-05-19)
Old 04-27-19, 06:45 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,033 Times in 15,319 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Lunacie I am sorry this is happening to you and I hate when doctors dont listen and act like we are morons! I cant have NSAIDs- never. My GI doc even wrote a letter saying they put me in the hospital. I tell every doc I know. But still they act like I am deciding its not an option. Do you have an autoimmune disease? I know with me sometimes my knees swell up during allergy season. My doc is trying singular as well with me. I havent noticed a difference and my issue is the minute i lie flat or bend over my actual sinus's get so clogged I cant breathe. I do not need referals so I may go to an ENT on my own.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-27-19, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Lunacie I am sorry this is happening to you and I hate when doctors dont listen and act like we are morons! I cant have NSAIDs- never. My GI doc even wrote a letter saying they put me in the hospital. I tell every doc I know. But still they act like I am deciding its not an option. Do you have an autoimmune disease? I know with me sometimes my knees swell up during allergy season. My doc is trying singular as well with me. I havent noticed a difference and my issue is the minute i lie flat or bend over my actual sinus's get so clogged I cant breathe. I do not need referals so I may go to an ENT on my own.
Every year in the spring I wonder if I should ask to see a rheumatologist, but
it's only for about a month once a year and I've never gotten around to it. Not
like I was allergic to something that affected me every day of the year.

I've been taking Zyrtec (store brand) for two or three years now and it makes
a huge difference in the amount I sneeze or whether my eyes water. Without
it, it's like I'm crying all day. I keep wishing I could find something like that to
help with the edema in my feet and legs.

Old 04-29-19, 02:25 PM

It took 72 hours or so, but the swelling has gone down so that I was able to
put on my sandals this morning without having to cram my feet in. YAY! Next
year I'm not going to wait around. I'm going to call the clinic and tell them I
need a corticosteroid shot Right Now.

aeon (04-29-19)