ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-04, 09:44 AM
Forum Guru

smooch has disabled reputation
Question "I think I have ADHD..."

The following article was found through the Monmouth College site:

Frequently Asked questions about Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

What is Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder?

Otherwise known as ADHD, it is a neurological condition that affects learning and behavior. Symptoms tend to change throughout one’s lifetime. Adults with ADHD may have problems with tardiness, impatience, and may be disorganized. Mood swings and problems sleeping are especially common in college students.

If I wasn’t diagnosed as a child, can I be diagnosed in college?

Yes, if a student is academically successful as a child, parents and teachers may not have identified them as in need of assessment, but college students can be tested for ADHD.

I have the symptoms, Do I have ADHD?

Most college students report difficulties concentrating at one time or another. A large number of medical and psychiatric conditions cause problems with attention and concentration. Anxiety and depression are common conditions that cause concentration problems. However, ADHD that is left untreated my also produce symptoms of anxiety and depression. Disordered eating, sleep disturbances, and substance abuse frequently cause symptoms of inattention. Interpersonal relationships and family conflicts are especially common sources of inattention for college students.

What can I do if I think I have ADHD?

You must first be sure that your symptoms are not secondary to depression or anxiety. Thus, it is crucial that you see a professional trained in ADHD who has worked with college students. A misdiagnosis may result in an exacerbation of inattentive symptoms and will only make matters worse. If you think you need to be tested you can call Edited out--irrelevant contact information. Find a doctor!

How is ADHD treated?

If you are diagnosed with ADHD, there are a variety of ways in which you can reduce the severity of the symptoms. Medication is frequently recommended. However, modifying organizational and study behaviors, participating in counseling or support groups, and seeking accommodations through the college can also be helpful. Because students with ADHD often experience interpersonal difficulties outside of school, participation in therapy is strongly encouraged.

smooch
michaelaisabell (11-05-14)