ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-18, 12:56 PM

italianstallion is on a distinguished road
What techniques do you use to read more effectively?

I have been trying to read more, but it is often so difficult whether it is something I have to read or am reading for fun. I constantly have to go back because I realize I have no idea what I read about the last couple pages and end up reading the same paragraph over and over. I am also a very slow reader and it takes forever to get through things.
The Following User Says Thank You to italianstallion For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-08-18)
Old 09-08-18, 03:46 PM

cuegeee is on a distinguished road
Re: What techniques do you use to read more effectively?

I try to find a white noise that isn’t distracting but blocks out surrounding distractions and read. Noise cancelling headphones are helpful as well for me.

The more I can drown out the surrounding chaos, the more the words read sink in.

It’s not fool proof because I find myself reading whole chapters or start the same books over sometimes but because I didn’t realize I’ve already read it. That in itself. Same goes for TV shows. I can rewatch things and find new interesting parts that I missed all the time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cuegeee For This Useful Post:
italianstallion (09-10-18), meadd823 (09-27-18), psychopathetic (09-08-18)
Old 09-08-18, 06:05 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,413 Times in 7,672 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I miss reading! I've always been a slow reader, and it can be very difficult to read an entire book cover to cover...so each and every book I made it through felt really special to me! Like it was a pretty big personal accomplishment. I have a lot of pride in my small collection of books I've read.

But darn...it's become increasingly difficult over the years to get anywhere with a book.

I'm afraid this is going to sound gross or something...but the only time I can actually read anymore...and stick to a book...is when I'm using the bathroom. It's in a quiet place and there's not much there to distract me. No tv, no computer, not much of anything at all.
So I always keep a book in the room. And it works! I just got through the final book of the lord of the rings trillogy...something I've been attempting for many years...a few months ago. Just recently finished my first Dean Koontz book, and now am starting on the biography of John Nash called A Beautiful Mind (also a great movie).

I still cant read a book for the life of me anywhere else though. It's too boring, and my mind wonders off and I'd rather be doing other, more exciting, things. I try to read a book in my spare time...I'd love to sit down for an hour or 2 like I use to be able to, just to read a book...but dang, I've not been able to do so in years now.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-18, 04:10 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

I'm a really slow reader, too. I'm reading a book now that I started over a year ago...well, several books, because whenever I hit a boring section of a book or hear about another interesting book, I often start a new one so that I'm usually reading four or five books at the same time and go back and forth between them. And when I return to a book after reading another one for a while, I've usually forgotten quite a bit of what I had read before.

But being on medication for my ADHD has made a big difference. In the past, I would often start books and never finish them because I lost interest in them, became more interested in another book, or even completely forgot about them. I also would often start to get a little drowsy when I would sit down to read, especially if it was a difficult or complicated text.

Lately, however, I seem to be persevering with the same few books instead of starting new ones all the time without finishing the old ones. I also find that I can read more challenging books for longer periods of time and don't get drowsy when I'm reading some books like I used to. I don't think that I'm reading any faster, though.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-09-18)
Old 09-09-18, 05:00 AM

benito is on a distinguished road

Ears plugs are the best for me

My meds

Morning: Vyvanse 50mg and effexor xr 75mg

night: Brintellix 20mg, lamictal 300mg, abilify 5mg, seroquel 200mg and clonazepam 0.5mg
The Following User Says Thank You to benito For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-09-18)
Old 09-09-18, 05:28 AM

Srjs28 is on a distinguished road

Ever since taking a stimulant I could all of a sudden read like a motherf@(#er !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Srjs28 For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (09-27-18), psychopathetic (09-09-18)
Old 09-10-18, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Man, I miss reading! I've always been a slow reader, and it can be very difficult to read an entire book cover to cover...so each and every book I made it through felt really special to me! Like it was a pretty big personal accomplishment. I have a lot of pride in my small collection of books I've read.

But darn...it's become increasingly difficult over the years to get anywhere with a book.

I'm afraid this is going to sound gross or something...but the only time I can actually read anymore...and stick to a book...is when I'm using the bathroom. It's in a quiet place and there's not much there to distract me. No tv, no computer, not much of anything at all.
So I always keep a book in the room. And it works! I just got through the final book of the lord of the rings trillogy...something I've been attempting for many years...a few months ago. Just recently finished my first Dean Koontz book, and now am starting on the biography of John Nash called A Beautiful Mind (also a great movie).

I still cant read a book for the life of me anywhere else though. It's too boring, and my mind wonders off and I'd rather be doing other, more exciting, things. I try to read a book in my spare time...I'd love to sit down for an hour or 2 like I use to be able to, just to read a book...but dang, I've not been able to do so in years now.
Yes, it is definitely difficult to push myself to read more than a chapter or two in one sitting. In regard to your bathroom hobby, I find the same is true!
It is a nice quiet place where there are no distractions and I will often read there as well.

Unless I am really into something (which is becoming harder and harder to find) especially in regard to books, it does take forever to get through.
The Following User Says Thank You to italianstallion For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (09-11-18)
Old 09-10-18, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
I'm a really slow reader, too. I'm reading a book now that I started over a year ago...well, several books, because whenever I hit a boring section of a book or hear about another interesting book, I often start a new one so that I'm usually reading four or five books at the same time and go back and forth between them. And when I return to a book after reading another one for a while, I've usually forgotten quite a bit of what I had read before.

But being on medication for my ADHD has made a big difference. In the past, I would often start books and never finish them because I lost interest in them, became more interested in another book, or even completely forgot about them. I also would often start to get a little drowsy when I would sit down to read, especially if it was a difficult or complicated text.

Lately, however, I seem to be persevering with the same few books instead of starting new ones all the time without finishing the old ones. I also find that I can read more challenging books for longer periods of time and don't get drowsy when I'm reading some books like I used to. I don't think that I'm reading any faster, though.
I also tend to start multiple books before I finish one.The result is usually getting halfway through (if that) and never finishing any of them. Or having to reread because it has been so long.

Medication definitely helps tremendously. Also what is it with the drowsiness thing?!?! I experience this all the time too. Even with something as simple as someone is talking to me for too long.. I will start yawning in their face like it actually fatigues me to just listen to them. But I'm not actually tired because the second I lay in my bed the circus is back on in my brain.

I guess I can give up on trying to read faster, but I am content with reading a little more if the meds will have it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to italianstallion For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (09-11-18), psychopathetic (09-11-18)
Old 09-11-18, 02:00 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,316 Times in 642 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future

Take ADHD meds, re-read the sentence.
Old 09-11-18, 04:22 PM

Alphawave is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with reading.

If I'm not re-reading the same paragraph, I'm baffled at how the story got to where I'm at.

That's with fiction, I do better with non fiction. I enjoy reading biographies that interest me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alphawave For This Useful Post:
lisariver (09-26-18)
Old 09-11-18, 04:53 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
but the only time I can actually read anymore...and stick to a book...is when I'm using the bathroom. It's in a quiet place and there's not much there to distract me. No tv, no computer, not much of anything at all.
I'm not sure if anyone reads Reader's Digest anymore, but it's the kind of magazine that was often put in bathrooms, because it had articles that were short enough that they could just about be finished in the span of one bowel movement.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-18, 07:01 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,413 Times in 7,672 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
I'm not sure if anyone reads Reader's Digest anymore, but it's the kind of magazine that was often put in bathrooms, because it had articles that were short enough that they could just about be finished in the span of one bowel movement.
haha yes! I do! I got a 1 year sub for I think $5 a couple of years ago and loved those magazines...read them cover to cover. And it's just as you said...the articles were short enough for me not to drift off or get too overly bored lol.

I miss getting those little magazines! A lot of the stories were actually quite touching and inspiring.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (09-11-18), PoppnNSailinMan (09-12-18)
Old 09-11-18, 11:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,103 Times in 2,225 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I get someone else to do it and then explain it to me.
lisariver (09-26-18), Little Missy (09-12-18), psychopathetic (09-12-18)
Old 09-20-18, 04:14 PM
Contributor

Zoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to behold

I can read short stuff or things I'm really interested in like web pages, how-to descriptions, hobby stuff, etc. A real book is a challenge. That was a real problem decades ago when I bit the bullet and went to college, after promising myself as I walked out the door of my high school for the last time that I would never subject myself to that torture ever again. And sure enough, the worst part of college was getting through the reading.

I was engaged with the material, so I could last a bit, but getting the detailed comprehension was exhausting. On high-stakes stuff like that what worked for me was to, every hour or half hour (depending), I'd put the book aside. I'd set an alarm for five or ten minutes, lay down in a quiet area and play dead.

I'm not kidding. I had no idea what mindfulness meditation was back then. I would erase all thought, concentrate on thinking/being/doing nothing and just CEASE -- TO -- BE. Total shutdown. (Mindfulness might work too. YMMV.)

I could repeat that cycle for half a day if I had to. Really helped me get through a lot of reading, and I ended up doing well in college.

Best of luck,
ZD

If ADHD was more prevalent it would be "normal". It would shape all of society, just as it shapes our individual lives now.

Those with an excessive need for order, consistency and timeliness would face a lifelong struggle. Most of us "normals" would wonder why they don't lighten up and be more open to life's ebb and flow.

"Normal" is a meaningless concept. Reality is what it is. How we choose to deal with it is what defines us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoom Dude For This Useful Post:
lisariver (09-26-18)
Old 09-21-18, 04:25 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,633 Times in 15,114 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I have always been a good reader, I dont know why. When it comes to reading something like school oriented I tend to skim for the answers by reading the questions first and knowing what to look for. Then I would go back and re-read the whole thing.

I carried a watermelon?