ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-17, 03:25 PM

Design-Mom is on a distinguished road
Teen daughter having social problems: Could ADHD be the cause?

I'm in the middle of a parenting dilemma and am really lost on what to do to help my daughter. She is 13 and she's a kind hearted, sweet, loving, smart girl. She's always been "high energy", flighty, and can come off as overbearing at times. However, now that we have entered the teenage years these not so great behaviors are really starting to effect her socially. She's never had problems MAKING friends because she's so outgoing and friendly.

It's keeping them that is becoming the issue. As an example, A few weeks ago she was on an app with friends where you can talk as a group. Apparently a few of her friends were on and didn't realize she was. One of them said she was annoying and dumb. Of course this really hurt her feelings and I tried to help her pick up the pieces the best I could. Just this weekend another good friend had her birthday party and posted the pics from the party on instagram and my daughter was the only girl not invited out of their "group".

Again she was upset and I tried to talk with her about any reasons why she was excluded like if there had been any problems between them she knew of. She had no idea why and said there hadn't been any issues. These are just two recent examples but there are a lot more smaller examples along the same line. It hurts me to see her hurt and struggle and all I want to do is figure out why this is happening and how I can help her. My only guess is that she's so flighty and high energy and can't focus on things very long that she struggles to be a good friend in return.

She tends to blurt out the first thing that comes to mind before thinking and can sometimes sound "dumb" or rude and seem overbearing. When talking to her today she told me she doesn't really text or call friends or interact with them on social media because she feels awkward and doesn't know what to say. That really surprised me because she's always been so outgoing in real life situations. I check her phone periodically and see her friends constantly interacting and posting things and there's really nothing from her. Not that I'm a fan of social media or kids being too involved in it, but the reality seems that it plays a big role in their social interaction.

I don't know if her behaviors and struggles are signs of ADHD or some other disorder or where to go to get help. I'd welcome input please!

Last edited by Greyhound1; 01-09-17 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Added paragraphs only for easier reading.