ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

View Poll Results: Is medication for ADHD considered a coping mechanism?
yes 5 35.71%
no 6 42.86%
Other 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-17, 02:06 AM

Alaskamoose is on a distinguished road
Re: Is medication for ADHD considered a coping mechanism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Is medication for ADHD considered a coping mechanism?

My therapist told me that taking meds for my adhd were not optional if I wanted a life; I would not call that a coping mechanism; do you have adhd? If you rely have it and meds have worked for you, this would not even be a logical question
Old 01-12-17, 05:57 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,698 Times in 12,970 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely a treatment vs a coping mechanism in my opinion. To me, coping skills are things like using lists or timers or reminders. Medication makes using those lists, timers and reminders possible.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (01-18-17), Johnny Slick (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 08:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,163 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

A substitution for what's not there. Given the right dosage by a dr with the right expertise

it's morally the right move. If I get hopelessly hurt by it I'm gunna sue.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
Johnny Slick (01-12-17), Little Missy (01-12-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-17, 10:37 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
-Uncle Google
In general, here are the general classifications of coping mechanisms:

Defense - the unconscious ways of coping stress. ...

Adaptive -tolerates the stress. ...

Avoidance -keeps self away from the stress. ...

Attack - diverts one's consciousness to a person or group of individuals other than the stressor or the stressful situation.

777?
Simply, I look at it as eliminating or alleviating the stressor(s). So I guess using the above criteria the med is a coping mechanism because it "avoids" the stress.

Did I get it right?
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 11:50 AM

Dachshund is a jewel in the roughDachshund is a jewel in the roughDachshund is a jewel in the rough

Generally, a coping mechanism is a behavioral or mental process that soothes and alleviates stress. Things such as thumb sucking, repetitive motions, etc. This also includes things such as substance abuse, because the abuse of the substance is motivated by behavior and the stress. The substance is not the coping mechanism, but the behavior to reach for that substance is the coping mechanism. For example, stress eating. Food itself is not a coping mechanism, it is a requirement of life. But the act of reaching for food in stressful times is the coping mechanism.

So unless you're reaching for ADHD meds in a substance abusive manner, no. No more then a diabetic using insulin, or using a high blood pressure medication to treat high blood pressure.