ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-11, 06:55 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanked 4,536 Times in 1,944 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strategies for an ADDer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
I'm hard on myself too. I can remember Dr. Hallowell saying that he used to break his pencils in class when he didn't get something right away. I get upset too. I use xanax for these times. I'm realizing now how my experiences with people have really tempered my behavior ( I don't know if that's healthy or unhealthy).

Anxiety makes it that much more challenging for me to focus.
I spoke to one of the bosses about this today. She's just come to the area and is feeling the same way so we've decided to both help each other.

Quote:
Oh I know, I'm sitting on about 400 dollars, and I don't know what I want to do with it. I need ideas. I'm about to start a thread.
Have you got a bicycle? They can save you money in petrol, parking and public transport. Also it's fun!

Quote:
Ok Tudor. I hope you have a wonderful day. Please come on here and tell us what you did for lunch.

Take care.
I went to the lunch room down the far end of the building. Then I went for a walk and bought a chocky bar.

I feel a lot better now. Got some stuff done today and found out that I don't need do a big confusing task just yet so that takes the pressure off. Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tudorose For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (04-04-11), Dreamsage (02-27-16)
Old 04-04-11, 04:02 PM
Contributor

Surly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to all

Don't get caught up in trying to make it perfect. That's where some many of us ADDers get hung up. Take some time to get all you're birthdays and family stuff into it. Get your repeating events (counseling, monthly meetings, ect.) Take a little time daily, entering short and long term stuff, and eventually you'll figure it out.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I can also schedule events right from my phone. So even before the person is out of my eyesight (and thus, out of mind), I'll enter in an event/appointment so I don't forget.
My high tolerance for chaos is compensation for my low tolerance for B.S.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Surly Dave For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-04-11), anonymouslyadd (04-04-11), Excelsior1 (11-12-12), fracturedstory (10-22-11), Kasechka (04-06-11), tudorose (04-05-11)
Old 04-11-11, 03:52 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,012 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Automatic Negative Thoughts
This is a big one for us ADDers. One thought can impact us so greatly that it can prevent us from growing, trying an endeavor we have always wanted to do, and other things.

What are they?
As you go about your daily lives, pay attention to the thoughts you are having. Do you find yourself saying "I'm lazy" or "I'm an idiot?" I sure have. So here's the strategy I have used to rid myself of these thoughts.

What to do?
I have on a notecard(s) with the automatic negative thought and a rebuttal underneath of it. For instance, if I say to myself "I'm lazy" a rebuttal might be "I'm very hardworking."

You can get notecards with holes punched in them that can be placed inside two rings so that you can flip through them quickly (kind of like a rolodex).

Putting it into action
When you get the thought you need to find the notecard QUICKLY and then read the rebuttal. This is how you can change your brain and open up pathways that had been previously hindered by these thoughts.

Pm me with any questions.

Anon
andy78 (10-30-12), dogluver358 (11-10-12), Dreamsage (02-27-16), dresser (12-30-12), MrDaniel (11-06-13), redbandit14 (09-19-11), rwk901 (01-07-13), scaffy (06-23-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-11, 07:08 PM
Banned

Thanked 2,720 Times in 1,613 Posts
tired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to beholdtired1823 is a splendid one to behold

Wow, that makes so much sense. That is a really great list. Thanks for sharing!
The Following User Says Thank You to tired1823 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (06-03-11)
Old 06-04-11, 03:14 PM

MedStudent82 has a spectacular aura aboutMedStudent82 has a spectacular aura about

Good thread, annonymouslyadd. I've started reading "Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity" by David Allen. It's really insightful so far. I believe the best treatment for ADD/ADHD is medication and therapeutic behavioral changes together. This book's helping me so far. You can prob find it on half.com for a couple bucks or something. He also created a "Getting Things Done" app for your iphone/PDA that works with it.

Here's a link to an article on his book: http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/...urrentPage=all
The Following User Says Thank You to MedStudent82 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (06-04-11)
Old 06-23-11, 12:09 PM
Moderator of all seasons

anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

I want to add something to my initial post. I've begun a habit of making a list of five things to accomplish each day. I would write them down here, but I forget them.
Javajabbers (12-29-12), Redrightnow (06-23-11)
Old 06-23-11, 12:43 PM

scaffy is an unknown quantity at this point

carrying around a paper notepad and pen is very effective.
write down everything, and all distractions in the margin (for later)

i write all the time
The Following User Says Thank You to scaffy For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (06-23-11)
Old 06-23-11, 12:47 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaffy View Post
carrying around a paper notepad and pen is very effective.
write down everything, and all distractions in the margin (for later)

i write all the time
I like the idea to write down the distractions in the margin. Is that what you are referring on the write future things to do down technique?
Old 06-23-11, 02:28 PM

scaffy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I like the idea to write down the distractions in the margin. Is that what you are referring on the write future things to do down technique?
just anything that comes to mind in margin, even if its drawings.

the main area i put everything in that i need to do, or i outline am doing/learning
Old 06-23-11, 02:32 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaffy View Post
just anything that comes to mind in margin, even if its drawings.

the main area i put everything in that i need to do, or i outline am doing/learning

Good idea about the drawings too!
Old 10-22-11, 08:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

kathrynsmathryn will become famous soon enough

This thread is awesome. I'm going to see if I can try some things that work out for me. Starting with locating my planner... or at least one of them...
SSRIs: Citalopram, Fluoxetine, Sertraline
Benzodiazepines: Clonazepam, Alprazolam
Stimulants: Methylin ER, Dexmethylphenidate, Amphetamine Salts
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kathrynsmathryn For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-22-11), Excelsior1 (11-12-12)
Old 10-22-11, 08:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,894 Times in 4,065 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I need to remember to carry around a notebook, if even just for when I get ideas for my blog.

Most of my reminders are on my phone but something extra might be better, since I dismanted my message board. It's far too big to carry around with me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-25-11), Excelsior1 (11-12-12)
Old 04-11-12, 09:29 AM
ADDvanced Member

Pumbaa has a spectacular aura aboutPumbaa has a spectacular aura about

the list is excellent and i use it all the time.

i tried to read getting things done but it isn't well written and i didn't understand it
The Following User Says Thank You to Pumbaa For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (04-11-12)
Old 10-27-12, 05:59 PM

catrenn is on a distinguished road

I use a steno pad, the kind with a line down the middle of the page. i write lists on the left and distractions on the right. or associations on the right that I haven't figured out where they go on the left yet. then when i get to cross off the things on the left, i can add things back from the right. I find THREE things is the most to put on the left at one time, cause I can keep that many in my head. and it's very motivating to actually finish 3 things before you put down any more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catrenn For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (11-23-12), dresser (12-30-12)
Old 10-30-12, 03:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

andy78 is on a distinguished road

What's this about having distractions listed in the book. How is it going to help?
The Following User Says Thank You to andy78 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (11-23-12)