ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-12, 10:03 AM
Jr Member

deeph2o is on a distinguished road
Re: Strategies for an ADDer

My greatest tool besides my medication is my noise canceling headphones...at work and at home. Let's me stay focused when I need to at times. Set a vibrating alarm though because you can miss lunch, meetings, etc. if you are not careful.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deeph2o For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (11-23-12), Excelsior1 (11-16-12), Illumination (07-21-13)
Old 11-10-12, 11:31 AM
Forum Guru

dogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to beholddogluver358 is a splendid one to behold

I didn't know they made headphones! I'm used to taking my tests and doing homework at home with one of those white noise machines. Seriously, they make then in headphones now?
The Following User Says Thank You to dogluver358 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (01-10-13)
Old 11-14-12, 05:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

andy78 is on a distinguished road

One thing which really helped was someone had mentioned that if a task gets done in 2-3 minutes we finish of that soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to andy78 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-12, 09:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

gemini-dreamer is a jewel in the roughgemini-dreamer is a jewel in the roughgemini-dreamer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasechka View Post
These are fantastic tips; I just got Getting Things Done, and Things for my I-phone...but I'm having a hard time implementing everything, after a lifetime of flying by the seat of my pants and going on stress and grumpiness. Any tips on just doing it???

That's my problem. I have a Smart Phone with all the daytimers calendars reminders and cool apps, but i still write stuff on crumpled pieces of paper and throw in the bottom of my purse with the intention that I will transfer to my phone later. I rarely do. Sometimes.... but not enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to gemini-dreamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-12, 10:46 AM

Chocolatesa is on a distinguished road

I have my smartphone with me all the time, I have the Google Docs app on it which is indispensable, I use it ALL the time. It's great that whenever I think of something I write it on my phone and it's automatically synced with their servers so I can access it on Google Drive from any computer later on. Seriously people you *need* to get this if you have a smartphone!

And if you don't have a smartphone seriously consider getting one, they're lifesavers. Well mine is for me anyways, cause I used to have notebooks full of lists and wads of paper in my purse with stuff written on them that I'd lose and forget about all the time...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chocolatesa For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (01-10-13), EvilynTent (11-26-12), Lizzie80 (12-13-13), seemingly (04-30-16)
Old 11-23-12, 02:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

parliate is on a distinguished road

I think i'm gonna try these orders for a bit.I hope it helps.Thanks for information

using concerta 54 mg /// ohh jesus i can focus
( probably will be 36 +36 )

Added : +10 mg Ritalin after 6 hours later concerta.
The Following User Says Thank You to parliate For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-12, 11:58 AM
Jr Member

JoseHsan is on a distinguished road

Some tips that really helped me out whilst working:
@ Set a one minute delay on sending emails from outbox - often I would spend an age checking an email, only to spot the obvious mistake as soon as I hit the send button. Now, when I hit send, I get one minute to retrieve the message from the outbox, which saves me having to do the laborious checking first off.
@ install a program to enforce a five minute break when you've been working on your cmputer for an hour continuously. It may prove frustrating at first, but it helps me to try to complete tasks within the hour window and provides a deadline, and the break can be used constructively (checking schedule for other tasks, or just mindfulness or resting eyes), and the rest means i work better when i resume. Overall, I'm much more productive.
@ schedule your day, and leave room to accommodate any urgent, unforeseeable events. Have tasks split into must do, and would like to do. Keep working through, and carry over as necessary to next day.
@ use post-its as reminders to not forget important tasks
@ most important - ask for help with those tasks with which you most struggle. proof reading reports is mine, and repay the favour to colleagues in areas where you excel.

Hope these help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoseHsan For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (01-10-13), Illumination (07-21-13)
Old 12-07-12, 03:52 PM

Tata098 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Strategies for an ADDer

Hey guys, off topic but how do i start a post? I can't seem to figure it out. Private message me thanks
Tara
The Following User Says Thank You to Tata098 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-12, 04:36 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud of

keep track to recognizewhat is a distract,see if any are re-peets for me i cant really recognize a distrction especially whe it happenig good good thread now fix or newcoppier thank's all stay well you give me courage I must find the motivation gotta be carfull I mey cure myself and think i have no need for all of this and tha would make me sadd so I will go slowly=more reason and time to be here lololo lov yaaazzz
The Following User Says Thank You to dresser For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-12, 04:39 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud ofdresser has much to be proud of

oooops i touched somethin and my post went somwhere sorry
The Following User Says Thank You to dresser For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-13, 03:02 PM

Guest123 has a spectacular aura aboutGuest123 has a spectacular aura about

I would like to thank the OP for sharing this, and thank the staff for stickying it. I already knew some of this stuff but I of course forgot, LOL. This is a great little list. I'm going to print it out so I can keep it handy to look at! Neato!

- gem
The Following User Says Thank You to Guest123 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-13, 02:48 PM
Jr Member

Davoss is on a distinguished road

I think,that there isnt any advice for ADD only (without hyperactivity)
so I have some strategies I would like to share with you
1.When you want to do something ,you have to be totaly interested in this and assign for it lot of time because we need 3times more then normal people
2.Do any kind of sports and eat healthy ,this prevent comorbidity and you can be proud of your body if brain is crappy
3.find people who has some disorder,because the are more sensitive and they are able to understand your problems
4.work on yourself hard,remeber you have to work 3times harder then other people to achieve same result but you are able to justified it by your disorder
5.find job,where isnt any pressure to time ,for example:job in goverment is the best for me ,no pressure,good people no fighting between them
The Following User Says Thank You to Davoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-13, 07:58 PM
Jr Member

MechaTech84 has a spectacular aura aboutMechaTech84 has a spectacular aura about

Video game music is really helpful for concentrating. I've been listening to the Clock Town Second Day song from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask for a few hours now. I found a youtube video of the song that loops, it's 10 hours long. I always hate it when the song changes or starts over. Video game music is especially good because it loops perfectly, it's usually the melody organized sort of music that helps you concentrate, and it's generally a consistent volume throughout. No words to distract you or make you want to sing either. Also, it's easy to find on youtube.

I figured out a while back that if I'm going to fidget with something, I might as well decide what I want to fidget with and bring my own. In middle school I programmed on a graphic calculator, in high school it was a rubik's cube, and more recently I started twirling a pen around in my hand. At some point I need to buckle down and actually learn some pen spinning tricks.

TL;DR: Video game music loops perfectly and is good for concentration, if you're going to fidget you might as well bring your own something to fidget with.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MechaTech84 For This Useful Post:
andy78 (05-10-13), anonymouslyadd (03-03-13), chillum (03-02-13), WhereWasIGoing (08-05-13)
Old 03-02-13, 04:57 PM

chillum is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reminder about the music - listening to it right now

It's odd, but I have a playlist of instrumental music (Jean Michelle Jarre/Mike Oldfield etc.) that I play every night to help me sleep, I haven't changed it for months and I never get bored of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to chillum For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (03-03-13)
Old 03-03-13, 02:29 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,012 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davoss View Post
I think,that there isnt any advice for ADD only (without hyperactivity)
so I have some strategies I would like to share with you
1.When you want to do something ,you have to be totaly interested in this and assign for it lot of time because we need 3times more then normal people
2.Do any kind of sports and eat healthy ,this prevent comorbidity and you can be proud of your body if brain is crappy
3.find people who has some disorder,because the are more sensitive and they are able to understand your problems
4.work on yourself hard,remeber you have to work 3times harder then other people to achieve same result but you are able to justified it by your disorder
5.find job,where isnt any pressure to time ,for example:job in goverment is the best for me ,no pressure,good people no fighting between them
I'm curious which ones wouldn't help primarily inattentive folks?