ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-13, 02:30 AM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 15,943 Times in 8,062 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strategies for an ADDer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gem1n1 View Post
I would like to thank the OP for sharing this, and thank the staff for stickying it. I already knew some of this stuff but I of course forgot, LOL. This is a great little list. I'm going to print it out so I can keep it handy to look at! Neato!

- gem
Thank you for your membership. I'm glad I could help. Admin and our mods (I'm not talking about myself) are awesome.
Old 04-28-13, 01:04 AM

ArmyVet82 has a spectacular aura aboutArmyVet82 has a spectacular aura about

I'm new here but I think thought I would share the three main apps that I use on my android to help keep me organized.

The first is Google calendar. Simple little app that is great for remembering where and when you need to be somewhere. The hard part is sticking to a schedule once you set it.

The second app I use is a to do list called any do. It's great because it's a very simple, quick and easy to use. This app also pops up at the beginning of everyday and asks you to go over your list and plan your day.

The last app is a new one. It's a note taking app called google keep. I have tried so many note taking apps in the past like evernote and just found them to be overly complicated and time consuming to actually take a note. Not so with Google keep. I use this app whenever I have a thought or receive information that I can't forget. It can also do lists, picture notes and voice notes really easy. Give it a try.

As a side note I like to schedule time in my Google calendar to do the tasks on my tasks list.

Hope this helps someone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmyVet82 For This Useful Post:
ADD me (05-10-13), anonymouslyadd (04-29-13)
Old 04-28-13, 11:20 AM

mommaofmonkeys is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVet82 View Post
I'm new here but I think thought I would share the three main apps that I use on my android to help keep me organized.

The first is Google calendar. Simple little app that is great for remembering where and when you need to be somewhere. The hard part is sticking to a schedule once you set it.

The second app I use is a to do list called any do. It's great because it's a very simple, quick and easy to use. This app also pops up at the beginning of everyday and asks you to go over your list and plan your day.

The last app is a new one. It's a note taking app called google keep. I have tried so many note taking apps in the past like evernote and just found them to be overly complicated and time consuming to actually take a note. Not so with Google keep. I use this app whenever I have a thought or receive information that I can't forget. It can also do lists, picture notes and voice notes really easy. Give it a try.

As a side note I like to schedule time in my Google calendar to do the tasks on my tasks list.

Hope this helps someone.

I use those google apps as well, they're really great. I will need to look into the any do app.
The Following User Says Thank You to mommaofmonkeys For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (04-29-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-13, 02:45 AM
ADDvanced Member

andy78 is on a distinguished road

Guys including my post now here I would appreciate if we keep this thread limited to only things which really helped us through our ADD/ADHD. It will be so easy if some new user or an existing user just comes in has a look at the posts and can learn something. This is just a humble request. Let's not get into detailed descriptions and experiences.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 05-10-13, 05:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

andy78 is on a distinguished road

The Outlook reminders helped me for sure.
Old 05-10-13, 09:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,079 Times in 569 Posts
ADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud of

I use a lot of timers on my phone for meds, time to leave for something, etc. but I notice that I become "immune" to the reminders -- turn them off without doing what the reminder is for. So I change the sounds every month or so.
I keep a central list near the coffeemaker -- it is The List. It's about the only paper thing I keep, but it's the stuff to remember during the time at home. Lists for "away" things, like dr's appts, I keep on the legal-pad looking Notes app on the iPhone.

I started some of this before my diagnosis, as I already knew I was absent minded and forgetful. But with the diagnosis, I have become more aware of just how important this stuff is, of what a smaller margin for error I need to deal with.

Most of the coaching stuff i have read in any of those "helpful tips for . . . " articles that appear from time to time in newspapers and magazines, and now websites. It's just that now I take them much more seriously.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADD me For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (05-20-13)
Old 05-10-13, 02:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

moments is a jewel in the roughmoments is a jewel in the roughmoments is a jewel in the rough

I have a huge list of strategies that I use. It's pathetic in one sense. But the best advice I ever got:

Don't have a bigger home that you need. Have as small as space as you can comfortably live in. This reduces the amount of time needed to organize, clean and minimizes the empty corners that you can stuff things in. It requires you to get rid of stuff because there is no space to store it.

Sadly, this is the thing that has made the biggest difference for me in terms of being able to manage.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to moments For This Useful Post:
andy78 (07-04-13), anonymouslyadd (05-20-13), Lizzie80 (12-13-13), OvertheRainbow (05-12-13), WhereWasIGoing (08-05-13)
Old 05-16-13, 10:11 AM
Jr Member

steve286 is on a distinguished road

I have a table next to the door that I empty my pockets on everyday when I get home. It ends up being the last thing I see before I leave the next morning so I never end up forgetting my wallet, keys, and cell phone.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Social Phobia

Medications:
10mg Adderall IR (Sandoz) 3x daily
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to steve286 For This Useful Post:
ADD me (05-16-13), andy78 (07-04-13), anonymouslyadd (05-20-13), MrDaniel (11-06-13), Stevuke79 (10-05-13)
Old 07-03-13, 01:26 PM

DizzyBee will become famous soon enough

Great advice
anonymouslyadd (07-04-13)
Old 07-17-13, 07:13 AM
Jr Member

Deepak is on a distinguished road

i have used autiplan works for android or webversion

it only gives your current actvity on the app and u can visualise the next ones

The Following User Says Thank You to Deepak For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (07-22-13)
Old 09-24-13, 11:14 AM

CarissaB is on a distinguished road

this system has owrked well for me lately: http://www.add.org/page/simple_to_do_lists

Last edited by namazu; 09-24-13 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: swapped out commercial website link for non-commercial one with same content
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarissaB For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (09-25-13), jeaniebug (09-29-13)
Old 10-04-13, 08:51 PM
Jr Member

J_ADD_K will become famous soon enough

I thought doing these things made me look incompetent or lazy... but ultimately it was required to keep me organized and focused!
The Following User Says Thank You to J_ADD_K For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-06-13)
Old 10-20-13, 07:36 PM

sarahrose231 is on a distinguished road

I carry my I-pad everywhere, I put everything in it, very useful.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahrose231 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-21-13)
Old 11-05-13, 05:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

tnhybrid is on a distinguished road

This list is wonderful! Includes several tips I've sort of found on my own, but would have been way helpful to have been told previously... The big one for me is breaking things down. I hate entering my business receipts, but work on it an hour at a time till it's done. Really helps. I have an OSX program called 'Tyme' that helps me track the hours I've worked on what. It's a lifesaver!
(Age: 42; female, married to a non-ADD... working on not-impulse shopping!
I'm a visual artist. Does the ADHD help? No idea...
The Following User Says Thank You to tnhybrid For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (11-07-13)
Old 12-13-13, 01:17 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Lizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant future

1) Dropbox- love that app, 'cuz I've been able to sync my non-Google Doc, old MS Word docs & such, onto my Android this way. Saved me many headaches. Suggestions for ADD-ers: can be used for a master cover letter, resume, recipes you've typed up (i.e., ones not available on the Internet, but your own personal recipes)
2) Make daily tasks into non-negotiable rules, not just mere suggestions. Ex.- make your bed right after you wake up. Less stress when you just get it done without allowing a mental debate to ensue.
3) You can do anything for 15 minutes- FlyLady rule. Set a kitchen or other timer for 15 & work on cleaning or de-cluttering ONE area.
4) Google calendar, with reminders sent to my gmail account. Calendar acts as my to-do list this way- instead of scribbling on random sheet of paper, the second I think of something I type it into the next next available time slot.

I have loads more, because lord knows I was NOT born organized...anyone need a personal assistant with mad organizing and time-management skills?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizzie80 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (12-31-13), psychopathetic (12-13-13)