ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-13, 01:34 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 11,026 Times in 5,508 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strategies for an ADDer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie80 View Post
I have loads more, because lord knows I was NOT born organized...anyone need a personal assistant with mad organizing and time-management skills?
ME ME ME! I DO!!!!
I'mma just be over here kicking back and relaxing while you organize my life for me!
Thanks so much for the offer!!

(((hugs)))
The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-31-16)
Old 12-13-13, 01:38 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Lizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant futureLizzie80 has a brilliant future

Consider that a contractual offer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lizzie80 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-31-16)
Old 12-17-13, 05:46 PM
Jr Member

wattsup0103 is on a distinguished road

Tools (tips and tricks) I use to stay organized and reduce stress

All of these items, tips, and tricks have saved me time (improved my tardiness), reduced clutter, aided in stress reduction, and have greatly improved my life. Overall, they made my living environment much more Zen.

This is just my personal testimony, and POV.

1) Wall Hooks: I have hooks all over my apartments walls. Those 3M removable hooks that don't leave marks. Using hooks to organize will get items off the floor and make them easy to find. I use hooks to organize my everyday items like coats, scarves, purse, umbrella, keys, leash, flashlight, etc... All of these items are in plain sight and within reach. When my daughter and I come home from work/school, we tend to 'dump' everything at the door and leave a trail behind us as we walk through the house. Hooks have given us a place to put our stuff instead of trashing them on the floor.

2) Shoe Bench: Or a window seat/ ottoman with a hinged top. This is a great way to keep your shoes organized. My shoe bench is near the front door. I walk through the door, unload my purse/coat/keys on my hooks, take two steps, open the shoe bench top, and kick my heals off. These hing top ottoman things can be used to 'hide' all sorts of items that would normally be cluttered all over the floor.

3) Catch All: A catch all is a must have and can be just about anything. Mine is a mirrored vanity tray with gold trim on my coffee table. The only rule is that it has to be somewhere you would typically 'dump' small items. My spot is the coffee table in the living room. Your spot might be in the bathroom or bedroom dresser. When I get home, I stand in front of my catch all and take out my earrings, watch, and hair pins. I also keep a small bottle of perfume and chapstick in my catch all.

So, when I'm rushing to get out of the door in the morning I can stand in front of my vanity tray and pop in my earrings, latch my watch, twist my hair up in pins, spritz some perfume, and lube my lips (sorry for using the word lube, but I couldn't think of a better word) all in a matter of seconds.

*** I would advise against having more than one catch all. Reason being, the more places you have to stick something, the easier it is to forget where you put it. Remember the crazy ADD running around screaming for things that you are looking for and feeling completely lost in your own house? We are trying to avoid that. If you have one spot to catch things, then that reduces the places you will have to look to find something.

4) Multiples: My personal must have multiples are: Scissors, tweezers, sunglasses, trashcans, chapstick, cellphone chargers, and napkins (paper towels, tissues). I have one or two of each in every room of the house. The thing I hate most about ADD is how I grab something in a rush then placing it down somewhere random, never to find it again. I get so stressed out hunting for things or having to run to the other room to access it. Having multiples of your most used tools will keep you moving efficiently through your environment.

5) Camera Phone: I am terrible at paperwork and keeping up with things like my daughter's class reminders or when I last got my oil changed. I take pictures of everything... The return address from a thank you note, my appointment card from the dentist. My car takes a specific type of oil and I can never remember what kind, so I took a picture of it and have referred back to it every time. When I like a certain outfit I wore I take a picture of it so I can remember what pieces I used for that look. My daughter's choir schedule because I can't stand to keep up with paper.

6) Standing Quilt Rack: Or a floor clothes rack (the kind you hang your sweaters on to dry so they don't shrink). I wear suites or slacks everyday to work. If I don't get anything on them, I can wear them a few times without washing. Well, since I have a tendency to just toss stuff on the floor and make piles of my clothes, I got a quilt rack to toss my work clothes onto. The rack stays in the living room by my couch. Sort of a weird spot, but for me, it has to be out in the open in an obvious spot, or I will forget to use it. I don't know why but opening up my closet, grabbing a hanger, and hanging my suit up seems like the most laborious thing in the world. I can neatly toss my clothes over a solid structure and keep them wrinkle free and avoid cat hair.

7) Bookshelf with Baskets: My ADD brain will not allow me to utilize drawers for certain things. I can walk into the kitchen to get a snack and leave the pantry door and utensil drawer open in the process. I think to myself, its a simple ******* drawer... how hard is it to close?! I've started using open bookshelves with baskets to avoid this dilemma. I have three, 5 shelf leaning shelves filled with open top baskets. The shelf in my room has one basket for my panties, white socks, black socks, slips and stockings, and belts. My living room shelf has one basket for boardgames, paper, craft supplies, sewing kit and extra buttons, tools, and important documents.

Cleanup is a breeze. I just grab and pitch items in the appropriate basket.

Let me know if any of you use these same tools, tips or tricks or if you have any questions or want to know any more specifics. I have had ADD for a long time and have an ADD daughter. I've learned a few things that work for me and it would be a shame not to share them with others.

Hope this helps!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wattsup0103 For This Useful Post:
ADD Crusher (04-19-14), BrainFreeze (11-18-14), Pilgrim (10-30-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-13, 12:03 AM

JustCallMeSteve is on a distinguished road

From my experience, remove the phrase "I can do that later" from your lexicon. Don't say it and don't do it. If something can be done now, DO IT! When I push something back one time, I can push it back a thousand more times. I try to force myself to do things the instant the thought pops into my head, because if I wait 5 minutes, it is gone forever.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JustCallMeSteve For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (01-27-14), BrainFreeze (11-18-14), seemingly (04-30-16), wattsup0103 (12-23-13)
Old 01-27-14, 04:02 PM
Banned

pioneer07 is on a distinguished road

These tips are really helpful for me thanks for sharing....
The Following User Says Thank You to pioneer07 For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (01-27-14)
Old 04-19-14, 12:42 PM

ADD Crusher is on a distinguished road

Some strategies to stop losing things...

We’re of course famous for losing things, in large part due to weak working memory – inability to call up info from short term memory, like where you last put down your phone…or that important file. The result is a constant game of hide-n-seek, more stress, additional work, wasting our precious time, etc.

Here are three fixes…
1. Be very aware of your lousy short-term memory. When you put something in a drawer or a pile, it’s GONE. Therefore, keep important items and reminders in your line of sight.
2. Be wary of irrational desire to keep things – meaning STUFF that has no real importance. The visual clutter of stuff steals energy and makes it harder to find things. Give stuff to charity and get a tax receipt!
3. Obey the simple rule: a place for everything, and everything in its @#$%#! place. One consistent place for the remote. One for the stapler. So on.

Hope these are helpful!

Last edited by namazu; 04-19-14 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: remove MS Office format tags
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADD Crusher For This Useful Post:
ADD me (04-20-14), BrainFreeze (11-18-14), Timberline (05-18-14)
Old 04-20-14, 04:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,078 Times in 568 Posts
ADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud of

For those of us charged w/ housework, and, of course, it's NEVER done (even for an NT!) -- I have multiples of cleaning supplies used in multiple places.

Example: Every sink has its own bottle of gel cleanser. Glass (or multi-surface) cleaner -- one for the mirror in the bathroom, one in the utility closet near the living room, for the glass-topped coffee table. Appropriate leaning rags/cloths within easy reach of ALL cleaning supplies.

Things are soooooo much easier to clean, if there are supplies ready to hand, never more than a few steps away from cleaning stuff, especially for things that need frequent cleaning.

Well, I don't have more than one broom or mop. But I have a very small condo -- if I had a ranch or a two-story I would indeed have multiple brooms and mops.

But the absolute, very first, FIRST BEFORE FIRST thing that someone w/ ADHD should implement: MAKE A "HOME" FOR YOUR CAR KEYS NEAR THE DOOR!!!!! If you use more than one door, put a set near EACH door. Get 6 duplicates made, if need be.

I know I used to lose my keys all the time. My working memory is wobbly, both for any task at hand AND for my recent past. But I was amazed at how easy it was to put them in the drawer of the hall table. So I am rapidly losing my sympathy for lost car keys. (Just kidding. I think.) So put up a hook, or find a small table, or clean out the closest drawer. NOW.

(Another solution is a car w/ keyless entry and ignition. I now have that; I was almost disappointed that I wouldn't "have to" make sure my keys were in the drawer. They now live in my purse, and I never need to take them out. This probably wouldn't work for most men.)

ROUTINES: After you have a home for your car keys, and other stuff you "reach for" and can't find (remotes, flashlights, phones), think about implementing some routines for -- well, for, routine activities. I have both morning and bedtime routines. The morning one is pretty much lock solid, but I find I deviate from that one occasionally. The bedtime routine is not as solid, but even if I deviate from that one at night, I find it helps me get started in the morning.
Medication: Short acting generic Adderall; low dose of escitalopram.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADD me For This Useful Post:
MamaD (02-14-15), Timberline (05-18-14)
Old 05-16-14, 11:58 AM

Timberline is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Thankyou Anon

t's hard going from being the best at your job to feeling really incompetent.
THIS THIS THIS!!
I was employed at a job I think I was pretty good with, for 6 years. Then I stayed home with my kids for 8 years, where I am not a great housekeeper. Took a very part time job in an entirely different field, and LOVED it. I learned a lot, and felt so much better about myself, but it was also very difficult to not have all the answers, and have soo many questions. I don't like to ask for help, and being new with so much to learn was hard.

I didn't end up keeping that job for too long (6 months) because of some childcare issues, and the face that it paid pretty low. I am hoping to go back to that field at some point.
Old 05-18-14, 09:21 AM

Timberline is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD me View Post
For those of us charged w/ housework, and, of course, it's NEVER done (even for an NT!) -- I have multiples of cleaning supplies used in multiple places.

But the absolute, very first, FIRST BEFORE FIRST thing that someone w/ ADHD should implement: MAKE A "HOME" FOR YOUR CAR KEYS NEAR THE DOOR!!!!! If you use more than one door, put a set near EACH door. Get 6 duplicates made, if need be.
You have some great tips, there! I try to follow your cleaning tips, with multiple supplies. I also have a set of hooks near my back door, and another near my front door. This is where all "found" keys go.

My solution for keys: I have them on a clip, and I clip them on the outside of my purse. I see them when I grab my purse, dangling on the side. If I put them in that purse, I might as well pitch them in a black hole! If I'm not taking a purse, I clip them to my belt loop. I MUST see them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Timberline For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (05-25-14)
Old 07-24-14, 07:33 AM

Darkneko will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Strategies for an ADDer

Great statergies that do help. I find when I plan, making to do lists is the first step! It helps break down what to focus on so its only 1 thing not lots. I keep a diary of uni dates too so I don't forget exam dates or due dates for assignments. The headphones one is a big thing for me when I am in the library! So many poeple and so much distraction! Its insane, how do non ADD poeple handle it! Also when writing notes for uni I use coloured markers and pretty paper to keep me focused on the whole picture not just a small section of it. When I am doing a repitiive and boring thing if I can just get up and go for a short walk around the uni campus every now and then I don't get fustrated when I can't focus and lash out in anger. It really helps keep my mood at a good level so I can keep going at the task.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darkneko For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-04-15)
Old 10-04-15, 12:40 PM

addlife is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Strategies for an ADDer

I have had ADD for my entire life but was not diagnosed until recently. I always felt like a mess. I have never been able to organize my life, no matter how hard I try. In college I failed a couple courses because I somehow put the exams on the wrong date in my calendar. Of course I thought I was very on top of it, until I realized I missed the exam. I always forgot homework assignments growing up. I was the student scrambling to complete things last minute. Teachers were over my excuses but I actually couldn't figure out how to get things done. I basically felt like I couldn't do anything right and that was hard. I had a lot of issues with depression in college as well. I didn't realize this could all be connected.

It's hard when you care about your performance but you are somehow always losing things or forgetting things etc. I've learned a lot since entering a new career, but I'm still not at the level of performance that I want to be at. I feel like I'm always reactive and stressed out. Never fully on top of everything. It's hard to watch colleagues who are so organized and together. I used to feel guilty about it. I have SO MANY ideas, all the time. Actually acting on them and getting going is my weak point. Now that I've learned more about ADD I don't feel so bad. I feel lucky to have a mind that's always moving and connecting the dots. I always come to the table with ideas that people haven't thought of. I just wish I could elevate my performance and act on those ideas more strongly. I'm convinced that if I create the right setup for myself I will be able to perform on another level.

So, I have an idea! I think it would really help me but I want to get other folks' opinions here too. I want to create a service where you can have daily text-based check-ins to check on progress to your goals or habits. For example, I would love for someone text me each morning to ask if I'd completed my Daily Review and starred my top three things to get done for the day. Then I would love a text in the evening asking me if I'd completed my top three things. I have the hardest time being accountable to myself, so calendar reminders and to-do reminders just don't work for me. When another person is involved I have to prove that I am keeping it together. I think this would really help me.

Luckily I have a friend who really wants to help me with this service. We have started a really successful nonprofit together and she is accountable and awesome to work with. The two of us could pull it off. I'm wondering if anyone other than me thinks this solution would be useful. I would love to hear thoughts/feedback from folks on this message board.

Just to share, the strategies that have been the most helpful for me as I've been working to evolve my performance:

- WRITTEN to-do list. I tried omnifocus, things, etc (all of them), but nothing works for me like written words on a page. I think the act of writing things down actually activates a different part of your brain. I definitely remember things more easily when I write them down.

- Daily & weekly review as folks have mentioned. This keeps me honest, but it's hard to remember to do it everyday.

- Getting Things Done by David Allen - amazing book that helped me rethink how I perform, but still hard for me to follow and keep up with.

- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo - this book actually changed my life. My house is so much more clean and organized. I got rid of car loads of junk that I never needed in the first place. Now everything has a home and my house is just simpler. It still gets messy, and I have to do a clean-out every so often but in general I've been able to adhere to the principles of the book and it made a huge difference.

- Evernote - I can just search notes and find random phone numbers or random old notes from meetings quickly with keywords. This has saved me many times.

- Boxer - This app is amazingly helpful for sorting my email. I can quickly archive emails. The less in my inbox the better for my mind.

- Unroll.me - This app let me unroll from the insane amounts of junkmail clogging my inbox. The amount of junkmail I was receiving totally deterred me from even looking at my inbox so it's been a huge help. I love it.

- Inbox Zero - My email is overwhelming sometimes, and the Inbox Zero method helps me stay sane and process my emails really quickly. The idea is that you zero your inbox everyday with items that require more time going straight into a to-do list. I find that I can't actually archive an email and just put the response on my to-do list (won't do it). But I try to zero my inbox everyday so my email is less scary looking.

- Getting out and disconnecting - Technology really pumps my brain full of information and distracts me on a new level. It also just stresses me out to have all these things to check and think about. I try to disconnect after work and on the weekends which helps me get a little bit of clarity and breathe.

- Meditation & Running - Both really calm me down and lower my stress levels.

- Hanging with dogs - I fostered a dog for one month and my heart rate went down 20 beats per minute. I'm not joking. Getting a dog is on my list. Being with a dog really kept me in the moment, rather than thinking about my email / phone etc.

Sending good energy to all of you folks!
The Following User Says Thank You to addlife For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-04-15)
Old 10-07-15, 08:32 PM

Dutchman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeSteve View Post
From my experience, remove the phrase "I can do that later" from your lexicon. Don't say it and don't do it. If something can be done now, DO IT! When I push something back one time, I can push it back a thousand more times. I try to force myself to do things the instant the thought pops into my head, because if I wait 5 minutes, it is gone forever.
I understand the idea behind this. But this very impulse to do things now sometimes can actually keep me from finishing a to-do list, for example - instead of finishing the list of 1 through 5, I write down 1, then turn to the computer or whatever and start doing 1, without taking the time to thoughtfully finish the list. Then I am stuck doing busy, reactive tasks all day without going back to the big picture, strategic, value-driven list that I meant to organize my day around!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dutchman For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-09-15)
Old 10-07-15, 11:48 PM
Jr Member

JunkieHunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
I understand the idea behind this. But this very impulse to do things now sometimes can actually keep me from finishing a to-do list, for example - instead of finishing the list of 1 through 5, I write down 1, then turn to the computer or whatever and start doing 1, without taking the time to thoughtfully finish the list. Then I am stuck doing busy, reactive tasks all day without going back to the big picture, strategic, value-driven list that I meant to organize my day around!!
I'd end up writing down 1 of 5, then get distracted and end up on some random Wikipedia article with 50 plus browser windows opened two hours later. Completely forgetting what it was I was originally doing, or that I'm late for work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JunkieHunter For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-09-15), Dutchman (10-09-15)
Old 02-04-16, 03:39 PM
Jr Member

yoyomaster is on a distinguished road

Impulsivity always a huge part
Old 10-29-16, 11:56 PM
Jr Member

Mr.focus is on a distinguished road

great man