ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-17, 12:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,948 Times in 10,583 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: You Know You Have ADHD When ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersenschimmel View Post
When a lot of these comments are painfully, but also kind of amusingly, recognizable.
And you realize there are others who share that same mix of feelings.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 01-04-17, 04:33 PM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etcetera View Post
... the buzzer on the washing machine will annoy you and not using it will mean that you need to re-wash your clothes because you let them in there for days.

... when you say "days" and you actually just mean around one day.

... when you've been telling yourself you need to buy toothpaste for two weeks now, and you still come home without it. So then you (lo' and behold) actually go to the store ONLY to buy toothpaste (because you had none left, like, really, NONE!) and come home with twenty things, of which none is toothpaste.

... where you tell yourself you need something to wash your dark clothes with and you come home with something for your white laundry. While you actually have two bottles of that standing right next to the laundry machine. While you don't have much white laundry anyway.

... you look for two hours trying to find something, to find it on its correct spot.

... when you look for something and it's right there, in front of you, and you still don't see it.

... when you can write endless long lists like this, but stop in the middle because you realized it could be time to do something non-urgent, but really cool to do anyway.
When you search everywhere, and by that I mean E V E R Y W H E R E, for your glasses, hour after hour after desperate hour, red hot angry and embarrassed, and you're blind without them, but you are 2 hours late to pick up relatives for Thanksgiving dinner, which started an hour ago, as they wait at the airport, and then catch your image in a mirror and stare at that handsome stud sporting very cool glasses
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
Kimbosqueak (04-27-17), Little Missy (01-04-17), Lunacie (01-04-17), stef (01-04-17)
Old 01-04-17, 05:03 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 25,066 Times in 12,342 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

when it's totally irrelevant that you forgot to bring something to read during lunchtime, because you've also left your reading glasses at your desk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-04-17), Letching Gray (01-04-17), Little Missy (01-04-17), Lunacie (01-04-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-17, 07:08 PM

Thanked 26,640 Times in 12,409 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothewind View Post
You get onto wikipedia etc. hoping to research careers, or perhaps ADD. Before long you are reading about the year of no summer, giraffe systematics, or some other completely irrelevant topic.
When you look up what other people are wasting their time with because you haven't wasted enough time today yet.

At least now I know that shockingly the weather in 1816 was worse than this year and that the giraffe has a gestation period of upto 460 days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-04-17), Lunacie (01-04-17)
Old 01-04-17, 07:17 PM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me Lunacie

Forgive me but I strongly disagree. We are a very talented, very special group. One example. In a crowd of people, no one can hurt like mad without our noticing. By itself that raises our status as worthwhile human beings way, way up there.
Old 01-04-17, 09:44 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letching Gray View Post
As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me Lunacie

Forgive me but I strongly disagree. We are a very talented, very special group. One example. In a crowd of people, no one can hurt like mad without our noticing. By itself that raises our status as worthwhile human beings way, way up there.
I can and certainly have missed the fact that someone I knew in a group of people
was hurting a lot. I had always thought I was very empathic. Thought again.

I believe people without ADHD can be quite empathetic and notice somoene who
is in pain or in turmoil. It's really not limited to people with ADHD.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-10-17)
Old 01-04-17, 10:27 PM

Thanked 5,041 Times in 2,490 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I can and certainly have missed the fact that someone I knew in a group of people
was hurting a lot. I had always thought I was very empathic. Thought again.

I believe people without ADHD can be quite empathetic and notice somoene who
is in pain or in turmoil. It's really not limited to people with ADHD.
There are things that ADHD people can do that certainly isn't limited to what other people can do, but is more prominent.

There are things that you're more likely to accomplish with an ADHD mind than without (even although people without ADHD are still capable)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-10-17), Lunacie (02-23-17)
Old 02-15-17, 05:24 AM

yADD11 is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: You Know You Have ADHD When ...

*When you forgot that you did not forget to do something and realize it only while doing it again.

*When some items become invisible when you trying to find them.

*When driving 100 mph feels more comfortable than driving 30 mph.

*When your day is good and your did not forget anything all day, but deep inside you know it is not true: you just can't recall what you forgot.

*When you turn around to double check if your car is locked and see an open door (thinking: how?... that is way I double check everything).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yADD11 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-23-17), Kimbosqueak (04-27-17), Lunacie (02-23-17)
Old 02-23-17, 08:10 PM
Jr Member

dopaminerush is on a distinguished road

Reading hundreds of adhd studies with hyperfocus to solve the problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dopaminerush For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-23-17), Lunacie (02-23-17)
Old 02-26-17, 04:46 AM

DollyDayDream is on a distinguished road

When you ring your mum to tell her you've bought her a little present and you'll call over with it, and arrive at her house without it. Then after coffee and a chat you come home .... leaving your handbag in mum's kitchen.
The Following User Says Thank You to DollyDayDream For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (02-26-17)
Old 02-28-17, 03:59 AM

BarnabyKettle will become famous soon enough

When you and your also ADD wife try really hard to get organised and you buy an expanding folder for important documents but later the birth certificates you're sure you put in there simply aren't there. They turn up months later in a box in the shed. After you've paid for new ones.

When you stride purposefully into the office at work, stand for a while wondering why you're in there before realising you've strode purposefully past where you were actually going.

When you can obsessively do a jigsaw puzzle for hours before never having interest in doing one again.

When, if you wife texts you to bring something home but then texts later to add something else, she's only going to get one of those things, if she's lucky.

When you're listening to an audiobook and you have to go back over and over because you keep missing which character is talking. (I'm probably lucky I can listen to them at all though!)
The Following User Says Thank You to BarnabyKettle For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (02-28-17)
Old 03-01-17, 01:24 AM

When you constantly talk to yourself but what you mostly say is a variation of these three things:

Now what was I just about to do again?

Wait, why am I in here now?

Where the hell have I put it this time?!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BarnabyKettle For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-01-17), dopaminerush (03-02-17), Kimbosqueak (04-27-17), Lunacie (03-01-17)
Old 03-01-17, 02:49 PM

Lifestar is on a distinguished road

When you're driving on a road with few or no landmarks, and completely forget where you are and where you're going.

When you're looking for something, only to find stuff you needed yesterday, and tomorrow. Then tomorrow you can't find those same things you swore you just saw yesterday. You utter to yourself "who keeps moving my stuff!? Oh yeah... me".

When you've met someone 20 times and still don't remember their name.

When someone starts to give you driving directions and you cut them off because you know there is no way you will remember them.

When you don't remember if you've taken your meds, and have to contemplate risking dying of an overdose vs. going without them completely.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lifestar For This Useful Post:
BarnabyKettle (03-01-17), dopaminerush (03-02-17), Kimbosqueak (04-27-17), Lunacie (03-01-17)
Old 03-01-17, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestar View Post
When you're driving on a road with few or no landmarks, and completely forget where you are and where you're going.

When you're looking for something, only to find stuff you needed yesterday, and tomorrow. Then tomorrow you can't find those same things you swore you just saw yesterday. You utter to yourself "who keeps moving my stuff!? Oh yeah... me".

When someone starts to give you driving directions and you cut them off because you know there is no way you will remember them.

When you don't remember if you've taken your meds, and have to contemplate risking dying of an overdose vs. going without them completely.
For years I thought I couldn't remember names because my memory sucked
in all areas.

Turns out I can remember their names, I don't remember their faces. I have
prosopognosia. I've even failed to recognize my own daughter and grandkids.

It's also called facial blindness.

Old 03-01-17, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifestar View Post

****, now that you mention it, I can't remember if I took my meds! And I just bought a weekly pill box thing yesterday, I forgot until just now! I wonder where I put it.
The Following User Says Thank You to BarnabyKettle For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-01-17)