ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-12, 04:24 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Money

I hate budgeting. I'm trying desperately to not over-spend what we have, but it seems the list of "needs" are never ending. Maybe I just have the itch to spend because there is money in the account for bills, but it annoys me that I don't have the self control to leave it be. I've almost had to surrender my debit card to DH for safe keeping until payday.

I even tried turning the money and bill paying over to DH, and he all but refused. I even wrote out due dates, usernames, passwords, etc for him so he'd know how to get into the accts. No luck. I am not even sure where the book has gotten too. One thing's for sure- he doesn't use it. I still have to pay the bills. I try to keep up with them, but they give no wiggle room for when paydays tend to fall.

Does anyone have any tricks for budgeting and making money last from check to check? I use envelopes to budget out what is allotted to spend for groceries, gas, etc. I have a budget book that I use to track things as well, plus I keep receipts and bills all in one place, but remembering to put them away (or not toss them out) is hard. It takes a lot of remembering.

How lame does that sound. (That's my current issue I'm dealing with... the inability to do easy sounding things)

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 06-19-12, 04:47 PM

FocusFlutterby is on a distinguished road
Re: Money

I am a terrible budgeter, but I think it's because I feel it's like idiots work... I mean I know what I have to pay, I know I've gotten myself into a tricky situation and YES I knew it, rationally, when I was doing it. And I don't regret it.

Life is short. Many debts are accrued due to circumtances beyond our control. For me that was putting my father's funeral on my credit card and having to travel overseas for my nana's funeral, etc. at the last minute. Things I didn't have time to plan for. Some debts, like the $5k I spent on my honeymoon we choose. Do I regret it? NO WAY!!! Will it make things more difficult over the next couple of years? OF COURSE!!

Budgeting is for people who start from zero. If your starting from debt that you cannot manage, you need to seek the advice of a financial councilor ( this is not the same as a financial advisor).

Do a bit of research, I see you are from the US and I don't know what's available there, but here in aussie there are free services for financial counseling and some legal agencies that spend some volunteer time helping people deal with creditors. The reason they do this is because you can't get blood from a stone (or did I get that cliche wrong? lol).

In any case, no matter where you find yourself financially, there is always a way out, even it feels like there isn't. Start with government services or even your local rep to find out what's available in your area. xoxoxo
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?- Alice in Wonderland- Lewis Carroll
The Following User Says Thank You to FocusFlutterby For This Useful Post:
silivrentoliel (06-19-12)
Old 06-19-12, 05:38 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

T-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to all

I was going to suggest the envelope idea, but I see while finishing your post that you are doing that already.

I went to credit counseling maybe twelve or fifteen years ago. I was given a sheet to use for budgeting that included lots of things I hadn't even thought of. So I suggest looking online for a spreadsheet or an app that will give you a good, detailed, template to start with.

Another thing I've learned is to begin by recording every expenditure you currently make for a month or two, before you even begin to try to budget. That will give you a more accurate picture of what is feasible for you.

As for hating to do it...can you think of anything that might trigger that hyperfocus state that we all (sometimes) love? Do you have a kid that you can teach while you do this? Or can you set up a friendly competition with your DH to see who can budget more accurately for the month? (I know you said he doesn't want the bill paying, but some people can't resist a chance to compete. So it's worth a shot.) If you are a smart phone addict, maybe there is an app / game combo out there that will make the mundane details a little more fun. See if you can think of something that will light your fire about getting your finances in shape. And let us know how it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to T-Rex65 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-12, 05:53 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,756 Times in 12,449 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

budgeting,money,bills and "on time" sucks a**.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
FocusFlutterby (06-19-12), holmracing (06-19-12), PookDo (06-19-12), silivrentoliel (06-19-12)
Old 06-19-12, 05:57 PM
Forum ADDvocate

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
budgeting,money,bills and "on time" sucks a**.
That it does
Old 06-19-12, 05:59 PM
Contributor

holmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of lightholmracing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by silivrentoliel View Post
I hate budgeting. I'm trying desperately to not over-spend what we have, but it seems the list of "needs" are never ending. Maybe I just have the itch to spend because there is money in the account for bills, but it annoys me that I don't have the self control to leave it be. I've almost had to surrender my debit card to DH for safe keeping until payday.

I even tried turning the money and bill paying over to DH, and he all but refused. I even wrote out due dates, usernames, passwords, etc for him so he'd know how to get into the accts. No luck. I am not even sure where the book has gotten too. One thing's for sure- he doesn't use it. I still have to pay the bills. I try to keep up with them, but they give no wiggle room for when paydays tend to fall.

Does anyone have any tricks for budgeting and making money last from check to check? I use envelopes to budget out what is allotted to spend for groceries, gas, etc. I have a budget book that I use to track things as well, plus I keep receipts and bills all in one place, but remembering to put them away (or not toss them out) is hard. It takes a lot of remembering.

How lame does that sound. (That's my current issue I'm dealing with... the inability to do easy sounding things)
I have tried all these things... none of them seem to work for me. Another one of those things that comes easy to NT's and is difficult for us i suppose... My SIL is a big fan of Dave Ramsey... But its very mundane and i can't seem to stay interested long enough to actually follow through with it. Not even the "baby steps"! He does have a neat budgeting sheet though. You should just be able to google it i think
The Following User Says Thank You to holmracing For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-12, 06:04 PM
Forum ADDvocate

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

anything having to do with budgets and financial planning bores me to tears. But then again what doesnt
The Following User Says Thank You to PookDo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-12, 06:15 PM
Forum Guru

MX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud of

silivrentoliel:

I may not be able to explain my idea fully but I use what I call "negative budgeting." Let's say I make $1000 a month and my fixed expenses are $850. Ok, so I look at each expense and try to figure out, can I make this expense smaller? Like groceries, if I had allotted $150 a month, then I try to spend $125, if I succeed, then next month I shoot for $100. The book, The Tightwad Gazette was inspirational in helping me do this.

So, at the end of the month, did I succeed overall in reducing my expenditures? If so, the extra money goes into a savings account. The reward for me is -- the savings account represents many things -- maybe a vacation, may be a new used car if needed but in general it represents money that I can use so I don't have to borrow money for big-ticket items.

I reward myself in small ways to make it a game.

I have other tricks but they are all part of the "negative budgeting" concept.

If possible, you might want to make some of your expenditures autodrafts. It will save you some time and worry.

Also, I usually review my expenses about every six months. Do I really need premium cable? How can I save on gas? etc. It challenges me to find alternatives.

Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MX2012 For This Useful Post:
salleh (06-19-12), silivrentoliel (06-19-12)
Old 06-19-12, 06:47 PM

FocusFlutterby is on a distinguished road

BRILLIANT!!!!

I look at frugal living in the mundane areas of life as an adventure- though I don't think of this as a 'budget' as such. Cleaning products are a scam for example lol- Essential oils, vinegar, baking soda and a bit of knowledge has drastically reduced my overall expenditure on cleaning-related items. These same things work for things like flea prevention etc.

With shopping for things like clothes- I love fasion and doing my best to express myself in that way- but I like"my idea" f fashion. Every now and then you buy somethign that's a bit expensive, but most of the time, I relish the challenge of scouring through second hand shops for treasures. The process and the bargain are both things I enjoy- it's hard when time is limited though. There are god websites available... I use one called ASOS but I ONLY buy sale items. They have free shipping,if I don't like it, I send it back no questions asked (I do have to pay return shipping though so keep this in mind and don't go overboard). also for house stuff I NEVER BUY ANYTHING BRAND NEW AND I TRY TO AVOID EBAY. Garage sales- a great solid old table can be taken to my mum's house and she can totes work magic and make it look like something you'd pay a grand for from a catalogue! Or you can learn how to stain yourself!

I am a proud bargain hunter. I have, at very least, managed to turn my impulsivity around in that area. except when it comes to shoes- and the wants I really love I can never dream of affording anyhow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX2012 View Post
silivrentoliel:

I may not be able to explain my idea fully but I use what I call "negative budgeting." Let's say I make $1000 a month and my fixed expenses are $850. Ok, so I look at each expense and try to figure out, can I make this expense smaller? Like groceries, if I had allotted $150 a month, then I try to spend $125, if I succeed, then next month I shoot for $100. The book, The Tightwad Gazette was inspirational in helping me do this.

So, at the end of the month, did I succeed overall in reducing my expenditures? If so, the extra money goes into a savings account. The reward for me is -- the savings account represents many things -- maybe a vacation, may be a new used car if needed but in general it represents money that I can use so I don't have to borrow money for big-ticket items.

If possible, you might want to make some of your expenditures autodrafts. It will save you some time and worry.

Also, I usually review my expenses about every six months. Do I really need premium cable? How can I save on gas? etc. It challenges me to find alternatives.

Good luck.
EDIT: I also make sure I keep nothing for too long and try to sell them through a friend's consignment shop before I donate them. The cheapest and best way to store the stuff you can't bear to get rid of is in Space Bags, but DO NOT be frugal here, the cheap ones are crap :P
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?- Alice in Wonderland- Lewis Carroll
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FocusFlutterby For This Useful Post:
MX2012 (06-19-12), silivrentoliel (06-19-12)
Old 06-19-12, 07:48 PM

Thanked 7,901 Times in 4,068 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying hard enough keeping myself from buying another Teefury shirt until my other one arrives. I'll be poor, hungry but at least I'll have shirts.

Yeah...I don't have much responsibilities yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-12, 07:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

Targaryen will become famous soon enough

Check out the apps mint and manilla. Manilla has finally helped me to pay me bills on time.
Old 06-19-12, 07:59 PM

silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX2012 View Post
silivrentoliel:

Good luck.
That actually sounds like fun! A bit of a game, actually. This month kinda started out that way, but then we went camping w/ our friend, and I had forgotten I had to pay her for some of it, and I never remember DH's bills (of course, neither does he, and then I get *****ed out, but that's another story).

I think I'm going to make him sit down with me on Sunday (our only day off this week, oy) and we'll go thru the receipts to really see what goes where.

I'm doing better tho.... at least last paycheck we ended the two week period WITHOUT going negative! Granted we had like 67 cents, but the point is, it wasn't negative He didn't seem impressed. I was! Especially considering the pay period before, we ended -$135!

Old 06-19-12, 08:02 PM

Oh, I forgot... we've also recently cut our cable bill by $90 (we shut off cable and just got Netflix instead), and DH finally got around to telling our cell phone provider where he worked so we could get that discount as well... plus I finally qualified for average billing on the power bill (this month it was going to be $268, but averaged out to only $90- hell yeah!!) ... so we're trying our best- and I'm picking up an extra 10 hours at work, so that bumps me up to 30 hours a week, which is a drastic difference in paychecks for me... I'm hoping this all evens out eventually

The Following User Says Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
FocusFlutterby (06-19-12)
Old 06-19-12, 08:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

Targaryen will become famous soon enough

I also use google calendars and put "car insurance" which gets drafted out of my account every month as an event that repeats monthly along with everything else that come out regularly. As repeating events, on a computer you can color code them as well bills red payday green. I put payday in there as well. For me it works a lot better then before when everything used to exist in the wasteland that is my mind (finding things there can be difficult at times).
Old 06-19-12, 08:34 PM

I have my google calendar set up, but I have 2 calendars in the living room (one that is dry erase, the other I made) that have the bills listed on them... problem is, we can't auto draft b/c NOTHING falls on paydays. I don't want to pay things insanely early, and can't pay them late- and who is to say the money will be there when they try to auto-draft it??