ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-17, 11:36 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,156 Times in 12,614 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the advantages of having ADHD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
People who are short sighted see what's right in front of them even if they can't see what is ahead. People with normal vision often miss whats right in front of them, because they're distracted by what's ahead of them.

I'm not arguing that one is more advantageous than the other. But they do offer different things to different people depending on their perspective.
Do you mean figuratively? If yes, it's got nothing to do with short sightedness. If you mean in terms of the actual condition and vision people with myopia are too busy trying to figure out what's ahead to really focus on what's right in front them. Why? Because they have to. Not being able to see the distance is so disabling that it requires all your focus and energy. Of course it depends on how bad your vision is. None is fairly bad so I can't for example read anything that's further than 1cm. There is very very little in in the space of 10cm ahead of me so being able to focus better on that space is completely useless anyway.

And I don't even mean that as a metaphor for adhd. Being myopic and not wearing corrective lenses is incredibly disabling. I've experienced it often enough when I've forgotten my contact lens or ny glasses and it's seriously not fun...or safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 12:01 PM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold

What are the advantages of having clinical depression,bipolar,OCD ?
The Following User Says Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Old 01-01-17, 12:20 PM

Thanked 23,541 Times in 10,878 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why the cold, negative responses?

To say that there is absolutely no upsides whatsoever is a complete fib that is told by people who perhaps haven't discovered theirs or have failed to identify what they are.

Being impulsive isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes choices need to be made right there and then. People who lack impulsiveness tend to be indecisive and unwilling to take any sort of risk. There is no reward when you take no risks at all.

Being inattentive isn't always a bad thing either. Sometimes people get so wrapped up in something, that they fail to see the bigger picture. Somebody who lacks attention to the finer details can be useful in identifying and maintaining the ultimate aim of the project.

There is always a flip side. Things that you consider negative about yourself can be useful in ways that you don't even realize.
Why are realistic responses so often seen as "negative?"

Saying you either make impulsive choices or are to indecisive to make choices at all
is only looking at opposite ends of the spectrum.

There are many people in between who can and do make thoughtful choices.
I find myself more able to do this now that I'm medicated.

Quote:
I'm just sick and tired of hearing that it's all bad and that we're all doomed. I've met many great people with ADHD and yes, they are all different and have different skills and talents. But I often wonder if they would be anywhere near as good at these particular skills and talents if it wasn't for their ADHD.

Without it, they may have just turned out to be bland, average people with nothing that makes them stand out or memorable to other people.

I like people for their quirks and imperfections and get very quickly fed up and bored with people who think life is all about "fitting in" and living the way that our grand overlords tell us we're supposed to live.

I don't expect people to understand me though. Some people just don't want to understand.
I'm sick and tired of being misquoted as being all doom and gloom.
Although I hadn't yet posted in this thread, others said what I would have.

No one is saying that life is all bad, or that we can't find work arounds for the
impairments of having ADHD.

Sorry to tell you, but most people with or without ADHD, are just average people.
Having ADHD doesn't give us some advantage like being a idiot savant.
Even among idiots, savants are rather uncommon.

There are some ways that we MUST fit in, like paying bills on time and driving
safely. There are other ways in which anyone, ADHD or NT, can allow their quirks
to show and make them interesting people. I don't believe we are more interesting
simply because we have ADHD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2100 View Post
What are the advantages of having clinical depression,bipolar,OCD ?
Are there forums where people with those disorders ask about that? I wonder.
Or is it just ADHD that leaves a bad taste in people's mouths and makes them
ask what the bright side of having ADHD is?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-17, 12:23 PM

Thanked 23,541 Times in 10,878 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbandit View Post
Hey, we gave the world mozart.(Dr halowell also recognised this in his book)add people have some special abilities. You could be gifted in one of but not limited to musical instruments, languages,math, very good eidetic memory,high IQ, drawing and seeing the miniscule details of things other ppl are myopic of , etc.See, you are gifted. Not blowing my own horn here,for me, i find that i excel at storytelling my ideas and feelings through my writings or visualising them via my video creations that are very unique and 'my' style. Not just my notion of myself,i got my bosses and teachers opinions and recommendation letters to boot.i had also abused my knack for languages,passing japanese advanced level n2 in just 1 year time.
though, i admit trying to pass it was like landing at Normandy Beach.

Oh, did i mention about the 'Hyperfocus'? Boy, i abuse it. When i do video projects that i really enjoy in my aftereffects software, the universe becomes warped i tell you, the only spatial awareness i have is of the aftereffects viewports and panels, the temporal awareness is that of its timeline.
dont get me wrong, i am not trying to sell adhd or trying to live in denial that what god dealt me is a great card.Just saying that adhd has its intriguing perks to it. And, one of those days add has its claws around my windpipe,i find solace in its perks.
There is research showing why gifted children dont grow up to becone geniuses. Other than social prejudices, and being unable to fit in, more prominent factor is that they only become very outstanding in their field if they do what they love.
Mozarts need to play violin and compose. Davincis need to paint.
The world has been "given" lots of gifted people who don't have ADHD, and some who do have it.
You don't have to have ADHD to be gifted.

Hyperfocus would be useful if we had some control over it. Most of us don't.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Old 01-01-17, 12:27 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,946 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
This idea is terribly sad to me. I would choose to believe you are only limited by your beliefs. ADD/ADHD people just have to get there differently. Find a work around/ coping skill and make it happen. Once you know your dx, you can find a way to cross your hurdles and get there.
Nope, sorry. There are things I will never be able to do, because of ADHD. That is not sad, because I can do other things instead - but it's still a fact.

Being honest is not the same as being negative. Saying "ADHD is a limiting belief" is dishonest, saying "ADHD is a choice" is dishonest, and that entire line of thinking is offensive to those who have it.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.

Last edited by dvdnvwls; 01-01-17 at 12:37 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-01-17), BellaVita (01-01-17), Little Missy (01-01-17), Lunacie (01-01-17), randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Old 01-01-17, 12:30 PM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Are there forums where people with those disorders ask about that? I wonder.
Or is it just ADHD that leaves a bad taste in people's mouths and makes them
ask what the bright side of having ADHD is?
The reason why people ask this is misinformation and not understanding what adhd is.

Many times you read articles that claim that famous artist and inventors had adhd. Basically suggesting that they were able to be successful thanks to ADHD . Many people with adhd gain a lot of knowledge thanks to the curiosity and getting bored quickly at the same time, but that knowledge is almost useless as practical application of that knowledge seems to be a challenge.

If there is any person who has ADHD and is successful , can you imagine how much more successful they would be if they didn't have ADHD?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-01-17), randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Old 01-01-17, 01:05 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,946 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

ADHD does not offer different opportunities than non-ADHD. It simply offers fewer opportunities. That is not negative or a bad thing - that's just reality.

BUT that doesn't mean I can't use the opportunities I find. It only means I need to focus on my real opportunities, instead of pretending I have ones that aren't available to me.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-01-17), Little Missy (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 01:13 PM
The Von Kaiser of Moderators

Johnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of light

I just wanted to address a couple of issues here... first up, I'm not sure that comparing ADHD to other mental conditions is a really great path to go down, especially if you're going to insist that it provides no direct benefits. There are absolutely artists in lots of fields with bipolar disorder, for example, who really do create a lot of extra output during their manic phases. You can look at them and say "oh yeah, but if they were 'normal' they'd be able to produce during their depressive phases too", but I'm not actually sure if that's true. The thing is, the overwhelming majority of 'normal' people don't produce art, like, at all. I think you sometimes need a kind of a breaking point of inspiration or mania or ability to focus heavily to get to the point to where you are willing to create a lot of bad art with the knowledge that the practice will eventually lead you to create good art.

Schizophrenia is another interesting one that I think works even less well for these comparisons, because from what I've read schizophrenia is at its root about a brain that makes connections and sees patterns that other people just don't. At its extreme, yes, it can be extremely debilitating when those patterns involve the government being out to get you or what have you, but when it's right up close to that debilitating extreme but not quite, well... there's a reason why guys like John Nash and Bobby Fisher were so amazing at what they did. Their schizophrenic brains saw things that "normal" people did not, just straight up.

So as it goes for ADHD, I am still a newly diagnosed person and as such I'm probably more optimistic than most about this, but I think there are a few factors at play here, some minor, but one kind of major IMO:

- The ability to take risks is absolutely a positive point in some situations. I know, I know, a lot of us are *also* plagued with self-doubt and anxiety in part because our minds get to racing a mile minute when the ADHD is really bad. However, I can also say that I personally have directly benefited from that impulsivity in a kind of major way, and I know from one of Richard Weisman's books that, generally speaking, self-confident risk-taking is commonly a big difference between "successful" people and unsuccessful ones.

- Another thing about the ADHD brain that I used to really hate about myself but which in the past few years I've learned to love is that we tend to major in a lot of minor things. I enjoy software development but I've also in my life sung in choirs, played in jazz and rock bands, written a book that I couldn't publish and finished a draft of a book I probably can, pursued a career in talk radio, hosted a podcast, and even done a little bit of acting. Okay, sure, if I'd have been able to concentrate on any one of those things maybe I'd have gotten really good at it, but a. that's no panacea as the overwhelming majority of people who try those things, whether they're able to concentrate on them or not, are never able to do them professionally, and b. if nothing else, it absolutely cannot be said that I bore myself.

- Speaking of that, kind of, I'm kind of a witty/funny guy. Not to brag about that but yeah, I do have some really eclectic interests and when the ADHD is in a certain mode I can go off on these crazy tangents that take me to some silly and sometimes hilarious places. I don't think that 'normal' people necessarily get to do that.

- The big one to me is that ADHD imposes a limitation on you, often from a very early age. If those limitations aren't super duper debilitating and you're already pretty smart, you will instinctually create workarounds for yourself and get better at secondary skills when the ADHD prevents you from excelling at primary ones. This may sound cheap to some, I don't know, but it's the "that which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" maxim, and what's more, for some people the worst bits of ADHD are mitigated by diagnosis, therapy, and medication while those coping methods and secondary skills remain. In some ways, yeah, I think it's possible to come out *ahead* of the game if you had to work harder than average to do stuff and then a big chunk of the reason you had to work harder is taken away.

I'm not saying that all of the coping/defense mechanisms we learn for ADHD are positive, particularly if we go undiagnosed and have to come up with them ourselves instead of with the help of others (there is one in particular that I won't go into here but which absolutely *destroys* me from time to time). But some of them, absolutely, whether you use writing as a tool to organize your thoughts and wind up being a pretty decent writer as a result, or you dive into music because it's one of the few things you can "lose yourself" in and you wind up being a good musician as a result, or whatever, these are positive outcomes which may not emanate from ADHD primarily but which kind of do secondarily or tertiarily, and that's still a thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Slick For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 01:30 PM

Thanked 18,635 Times in 9,934 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Has this thread occured before? Deja vu is in full swing.

(Waiting for a hell of a lot of responses to tell me how wrong I am and how I should be more pessimistic)
It is resurrected many times a year.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-01-17), Fuzzy12 (01-01-17), Greyhound1 (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 01:42 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,447 Times in 6,005 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
It is resurrected many times a year.
Yep, it does feel like deja vu all over again. I am just glad no one has argued it's a gift. We've been there and done that one too.
Old 01-01-17, 01:50 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,709 Times in 12,979 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I am very passionate about this so do not take offense at how fired up I get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
I just wanted to address a couple of issues here... first up, I'm not sure that comparing ADHD to other mental conditions is a really great path to go down, especially if you're going to insist that it provides no direct benefits. There are absolutely artists in lots of fields with bipolar disorder, for example, who really do create a lot of extra output during their manic phases.
Are you bipolar? I am and I can tell you that its no picnic-not even close. I have a major in Eng Lit and a minor in theater. I was very close to getting a full ride for college for acting and singing. I had leads in plays all through high school and college. I am not bragging- I am saying that never at any time was bipolar responsible for the "creative" parts of me, or that misnomer of "thinking outside the box" because of adhd, helpful to any of it. I am a good writer because of being a good reader. I was not a good reader because of hyperfocus- it was an escape from childhood abuse. I am an alcoholic because despite meds- I still suffer greatly and pursing a mood enhancing escape seemed ingrained into my chemical makeup. (I am in recovery now)

Quote:
You can look at them and say "oh yeah, but if they were 'normal' they'd be able to produce during their depressive phases too", but I'm not actually sure if that's true. The thing is, the overwhelming majority of 'normal' people don't produce art, like, at all. I think you sometimes need a kind of a breaking point of inspiration or mania or ability to focus heavily to get to the point to where you are willing to create a lot of bad art with the knowledge that the practice will eventually lead you to create good art.
This is a complete bunch of stereotype and misinformation. Its part of the crap info out there which likens people with bipolar as some sort of tortured artist. Like the pain somehow can be turned around to create something beautiful. The pain and mania never helped me- I helped me because I believe despite the bad messages I received as a child- I was able to still do something I loved. Many people produce great things and giving some sort of eccentric list of the "greats" helps no one. If feel good comparisons worked, medication wouldnt be needed because we would all be too busy harnessing our inner artist to bother with life skills and coping.

Quote:
Schizophrenia is another interesting one that I think works even less well for these comparisons, because from what I've read schizophrenia is at its root about a brain that makes connections and sees patterns that other people just don't. At its extreme, yes, it can be extremely debilitating when those patterns involve the government being out to get you or what have you, but when it's right up close to that debilitating extreme but not quite, well... there's a reason why guys like John Nash and Bobby Fisher were so amazing at what they did. Their schizophrenic brains saw things that "normal" people did not, just straight up.
This is beyond offensive to me. I cant even believe that anyone would ever try and say that schizophrenia wasnt debilitating- and something that required such utter compassion and empathy- not placating words to make someone feel like their suffering has no value.

[quote]So as it goes for ADHD, I am still a newly diagnosed person and as such I'm probably more optimistic than most about this, but I think there are a few factors at play here, some minor, but one kind of major IMO:

Quote:
- The ability to take risks is absolutely a positive point in some situations.
Until those risks become deadly.

Quote:
I know, I know, a lot of us are *also* plagued with self-doubt and anxiety in part because our minds get to racing a mile minute when the ADHD is really bad.
Even using the word plagued is enough proof as to why this is not something to be happy about. Who else is plagued yet somehow able to turn it into a wonderful thing.

Quote:
However, I can also say that I personally have directly benefited from that impulsivity in a kind of major way, and I know from one of Richard Weisman's books that, generally speaking, self-confident risk-taking is commonly a big difference between "successful" people and unsuccessful ones.
Thats a matter up for debate imo. Very few risks taken with adhd result in self confidence and success. At least for people with disabilities associated with mental illness and adhd.

Quote:
- Another thing about the ADHD brain that I used to really hate about myself but which in the past few years I've learned to love is that we tend to major in a lot of minor things. I enjoy software development but I've also in my life sung in choirs, played in jazz and rock bands, written a book that I couldn't publish and finished a draft of a book I probably can, pursued a career in talk radio, hosted a podcast, and even done a little bit of acting. Okay, sure, if I'd have been able to concentrate on any one of those things maybe I'd have gotten really good at it, but a. that's no panacea as the overwhelming majority of people who try those things, whether they're able to concentrate on them or not, are never able to do them professionally, and b. if nothing else, it absolutely cannot be said that I bore myself.
This is no different than a non-adhd person.

Quote:
- Speaking of that, kind of, I'm kind of a witty/funny guy. Not to brag about that but yeah, I do have some really eclectic interests and when the ADHD is in a certain mode I can go off on these crazy tangents that take me to some silly and sometimes hilarious places. I don't think that 'normal' people necessarily get to do that.
Me too, just ask anyone here-but its me I have to thank, not a disorder.

Quote:
- The big one to me is that ADHD imposes a limitation on you, often from a very early age. If those limitations aren't super duper debilitating and you're already pretty smart, you will instinctually create workarounds for yourself and get better at secondary skills when the ADHD prevents you from excelling at primary ones. This may sound cheap to some, I don't know, but it's the "that which doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" maxim, and what's more, for some people the worst bits of ADHD are mitigated by diagnosis, therapy, and medication while those coping methods and secondary skills remain. In some ways, yeah, I think it's possible to come out *ahead* of the game if you had to work harder than average to do stuff and then a big chunk of the reason you had to work harder is taken away.
I would never want people to praise my accomplishments as if its really super duper for someone with MY problems overcame the problems and succeeded because of said disorder. I want to be valued because I am one cool chick.

Quote:
I'm not saying that all of the coping/defense mechanisms we learn for ADHD are positive, particularly if we go undiagnosed and have to come up with them ourselves instead of with the help of others (there is one in particular that I won't go into here but which absolutely *destroys* me from time to time). But some of them, absolutely, whether you use writing as a tool to organize your thoughts and wind up being a pretty decent writer as a result, or you dive into music because it's one of the few things you can "lose yourself" in and you wind up being a good musician as a result, or whatever, these are positive outcomes which may not emanate from ADHD primarily but which kind of do secondarily or tertiarily, and that's still a thing.
I have lots of coping skills and have taken meds for 15 years. Maybe I am jaded because I have experienced this type of justifications from the "normies" for years- but frankly- I get tired of it. I know when I was newly diagnosed, my desire for "uniqueness" in spite of the disorder made me search for these types of explanations- but ultimately it was the acceptance of the limitations of my disorder and mental illness that has helped me find inner peace the most.

Again, no personal offense but I am so tired of being viewed as negative just because I wont jump on the life is good band wagon.
Why cant successful people, unique people and brilliant beautiful people be accepted and cherished simply because we just are that fantastic? Why must it always be the "long hard road" weve overcome be the reason for such types of blessings?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (01-01-17), Lunacie (01-01-17), MickeMouseFan (05-02-17), randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Old 01-01-17, 02:04 PM

Thanked 11,726 Times in 5,210 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why the cold, negative responses?
Why do you choose to judge them that way?

Those responses were factual, nothing more.

Quote:
To say that there is absolutely no upsides whatsoever is a complete fib that is told by people who perhaps haven't discovered theirs or have failed to identify what they are.
To say that there are upsides is willful self-delusion and refusal to accept fact-based reality.

ADHD is a disorder, by definition, full-stop.

One can pretend otherwise, but I don't recommend lying to oneself about the way things are in general, and more specifically when one has a neurodevelopmental disorder with potential consequences that are severe across multiple life domains.

You still get to live your life as everyone else, albeit with disability in function. You can be sad about that, but in time, all you are left with is doing it, as best as is possible for you.

Cheers,
Ian
Little Missy (01-01-17), Lunacie (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 02:20 PM

Thanked 18,635 Times in 9,934 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

It s a big hairy drag actually.

I do the best I can every day.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-01-17), anonymouslyadd (01-01-17), Lunacie (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 02:27 PM
The Von Kaiser of Moderators

Johnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah... nowhere in there did I say that schizophrenia/BPD/et al were not debilitating conditions. I said that they, too, had their positive or semi-positive sides, just like ADHD does. I did not say that the net effect of them was positive, or that people who have BPD or schizophrenia (or ADHD for that matter) live more fulfilled lives than people without these conditions. I understand that this is a passionate issue for you but you're putting words in my mouth.

As for the generalized anger there... perhaps I should cite my sources better but I'm pretty sure that the things I'd said about schizophrenia in particular are actually supported by current medical opinion on the subject, so perhaps your anger is better directed towards the psychiatric community rather than me.

Finally, no offense but this "think of how much better this person would be if they didn't suffer from X" line is a complete crock of ****, and not just as it pertains to ADHD either. I'm sorry, but you just plain cannot separate who a person is from their brain chemistry, or for that matter their upbringing or the coping and defense mechanisms they've built up for themselves over the years. You and everyone else aren't just the sum total of all these things as well as a bunch of other factors, you and everyone else in the world are the complicated result of the mixture between all of these things. Perhaps John Nash would have been an even more amazing genius if he didn't suffer from schizophrenia, but perhaps he would not have been a genius at all. The question is basically the same thing as asking "imagine how much happier Al Gore would be if he was a dog".
Old 01-01-17, 04:55 PM

Thanked 5,074 Times in 2,501 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

It also irritates me when people claim their own opinions are "factual" and that anybody who disagrees with them are wrong.

It's maybe your facts. It's certainly not mines or the way I see things.