ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-17, 08:50 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,509 Times in 13,406 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the advantages of having ADHD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
The purpose of the DSM is to point out the challenges faced with disabilities and disorders. Not to point out any possible benefits. But nowhere in the DSM does it state that there are no benefits, it just doesn't make any mention of whether there are any or not, because that's not the purpose of it.

Just because the benefits aren't laid out on a piece of paper, doesn't mean there aren't any.

If you can actually point to any scientifically proven facts that show that there are no benefits whatsoever, then i'd give that point of view greater credibility.
Just because there is no mention of benefits with these conditions does not mean that there must be some. The DSM is a diagnostic standard because a collection of symptoms that are impairing need to be examined and diagnosed before they are treated. No one needs a diagnosis if things are positive because you wouldnt want to be treating them- you would just let them happen.
I dont understand why being realistic is being negative. Of course people can have positive things along with a disorder- no one is saying you cant- people are saying that they are not a result of that disorder.
Imagine if we were judged on the good stuff we could do with the idea that it was attributed to our adhd? Or bipolar? I would want the credit for those things to be placed squarely on me- that I am a good person who does certain good things, and that it has nothing to do with a disorder.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (01-09-17), Little Missy (01-02-17), randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Old 01-02-17, 11:48 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,958 Times in 11,085 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

All the symptoms of ADHD are things that everyone does, now and then.

When those symptoms become impairing because of severity and frequency,
it is diagnosable as a disorder.

I expect the same thing is true of any advantages. Those are all things that
anyone can have, not just people with ADHD.

Research shows that people with ADHD may seem more creative, probably
because we don't remember how we worked around a problem the last time.

So we have to come up with a new solution again, and probably won't remember
it the next time we have the same problem either.

The symptoms or impairments of ADHD tend to negate any advantages.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-02-17), finallyfound10 (01-09-17), randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Old 01-02-17, 02:49 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,954 Times in 9,009 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Abilities aren't considered "symptoms". That's why they aren't mentioned in the DSM. But you all know that full well.

Take Autism for example, there is no mention in the DSM about having great logical arithmetic skills or the ability to recognize patterns in things that most people can't. But it's a well established fact that most people with Autism possess these kind of abilities. But they aren't considered "symptoms" so they aren't mentioned in the DSM.

I think people understand full well what i'm talking about, but are just looking for an argument in a place where there really isn't one. So i'm not going to be drawn into this any further.
Granted for the sake of this discussion that autism can have benefits for some people...

ADHD has no such potential benefits, as far as I'm aware. Would you name some?
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-17, 06:18 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Abilities aren't considered "symptoms". That's why they aren't mentioned in the DSM. But you all know that full well.

Take Autism for example, there is no mention in the DSM about having great logical arithmetic skills or the ability to recognize patterns in things that most people can't. But it's a well established fact that most people with Autism possess these kind of abilities. But they aren't considered "symptoms" so they aren't mentioned in the DSM.

I think people understand full well what i'm talking about, but are just looking for an argument in a place where there really isn't one. So i'm not going to be drawn into this any further.
Whether you respond any further or not, I don't want readers to take away the wrong
"facts" about autism.

I've been learning a lot about autism since my g-daughter was diagnosed 10 years ago
and nowhere have I seen anything to back up the "fact" that "most people with autism
possess"
special abilities.

They do tend to focus on just one or two areas that they find most interesting,
but they aren't all savants at math or music or pattern recognition.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (01-09-17), randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Old 01-03-17, 06:54 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,509 Times in 13,406 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If anything, its not the people who think adhd doesnt have any advantages that are trying to argue. A question was asked, people answered and then people who disagreed with the other answers shared. This is not the same as arguing.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-03-17), Little Missy (01-03-17)
Old 01-03-17, 01:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

EuropeanADHD is a jewel in the roughEuropeanADHD is a jewel in the roughEuropeanADHD is a jewel in the rough

There are no advantages of ADHD.

Having said that, ADHD may favor developing abilities and traits that are someone's strengths.

I've spent years trying to organize my life as effectively and efficiently as possible cause that has always been problematic to me (my energy tends to run out quickly). As a result, I'm used to thinking about what can go wrong, seeing improvement potentials and coming up with plan B and plan C (and hey, sometimes you even need plan D, right?).

Now, I work as a management consultant. My clients complimented me many times that I recognise improvement potentials immediately. Also, when I'm in charge of change management, due to my own history I'm able to understand the difficulties people can face and come up with plenty of ideas about what can go wrong and how I can secure that it won't. Besides, I find it easy to make presentations and similar engaging and short (=respecting people's time), since I understand problems people may have staying focused.

So yes, ADHD is related to my strengths.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EuropeanADHD For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-13-17), randomguy1235 (02-04-17), ToneTone (01-05-17)
Old 01-03-17, 01:20 PM
Jr Member

Dave911 is on a distinguished road

I've gotta be honest here. There are no advantages, that's true. However when I'm on my meds I believe I have an advantage over anyone who doesn't have ADHD. Dexamphetamine turns me into superman.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave911 For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-13-17)
Old 01-05-17, 07:14 PM
Contributor

WheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to allWheresMyMind is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
This idea is terribly sad to me. I would choose to believe you are only limited by your beliefs. ADD/ADHD people just have to get there differently. Find a work around/ coping skill and make it happen. Once you know your dx, you can find a way to cross your hurdles and get there.
I would politely disagree. I have never met anybody without limitations in what they do.

CEO of one of my employers: From Iran. Serious AAAA+++ driven personality. Multi-millionaire. No ADHD, Asperger's or any other such thing. He could see so clearly that if we want to do better, we do THIS, and as much as he struggled, he could not develop adequate patience to deal with having subordinates who could not see things as quickly and logically as he did. He could read a person like a book, immediately identify what talent and lacks people had, could place a person in a perfect job. But could not make friends because he could not be patient and slow down. He had a lack.

There are gazillions of people in the world with no named disability who "just can't get math". In the modern world, this is as bad a dysfunction as dyslexia.

Whether the things you lack happen to fall under a named umbrella like ADHD or if they don't -we all have the same requirements: Figure out what we ARE good at, and capitalize on that, and don't depend on doing things we're not wired to do.

Hope that helps!!!

WMM
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WheresMyMind For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-06-17), Lunacie (01-05-17), randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Old 01-05-17, 08:59 PM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

"Perhaps the single most powerful treatment for ADHD is understanding ADHD in the first place. You need to understand what a positive attribute ADD can be in your life. So read books. Talk with professionals. Talk with other adults who have ADHD. You need to understand ADHD well enough to embrace it so you don’t blame yourself. You need to realize that while it may be holding you back right now, in time, with the right help, it can propel you to the fulfillment of your dreams." Hallowell

On kids with ADHD
"If your child is struggling in school, take heart. His or her learning problem is likely a marker of talent. Sure, there is a struggle. Sure, you worry. Sure, you hate to see your child work hard and get poor grades.

But you can take steps to mine the gems. Be sure you are working with a professional and a school which can help you develop the talent, not just address the problems and struggles. You need to do both simultaneously, develop talent and address short comings but in an atmosphere that is free of shame and fear and full of hope and positive energy.

This is not spin doctoring. This is the truth. This is the method that works the best. Children with learning differences are some of our most talented children. But they need special help. Otherwise their talent can go to waste and they can lead lives of chronic underachievement. They usually can’t unwrap their gifts on their own. They need a great teacher, an angel of a coach, a parent who never gives up on them and works as their advocate. They need to know that at least a couple of people believe in them no matter what." Hallowell

Personally I am grateful that the agony I've had to endure from being humiliated repeatedly throughout my life, pre-diagnosis and pre- treatment, has an explanation which absolves me of guilt and self-loathing. I have a heart the size of Alaska in part due to all that pain. I have a quick and creative mind which I use to encourage others in specific, tailor made phrases, for individuals. I have amazed my family with how sharp my mind is, where for most of my life they regarded me with adjectives I cannot repeat here. I was none of those things and no one knew, except somewhere deep down I still clung to vague memories that I wasn't always a no good, G.. D... S.. O. . B..... kid and an ungrateful, lazy, pathetic bum. I have wept many tears over how misunderstood I was, and not for me alone. My folks didn't know what held me back. And if they had been sober enough, they might have had wonderful, humane compassion for me. They didn't set out eager to parent a son they would abuse.

I consider myself to be uniquely blessed for my ADD and I'm convinced that my co-ADHDers have tons to offer this old broken down, miserable world, whether they think so or not. I have 0 interest in debating the topic. But, I did want to let you know what I think about this issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-07-17)
Old 01-05-17, 09:46 PM

Quote:
"If your child is struggling in school, take heart. His or her learning problem is likely a marker of talent. Sure, there is a struggle. Sure, you worry. Sure, you hate to see your child work hard and get poor grades.

But you can take steps to mine the gems. Be sure you are working with a professional and a school which can help you develop the talent, not just address the problems and struggles. You need to do both simultaneously, develop talent and address short comings but in an atmosphere that is free of shame and fear and full of hope and positive energy."
We KNEW we needed a school that could help my grandkids, but our local school
was crap for both of them and we didn't feel capable of home-schooling them.

We tried to get Kat's teachers to admit she was struggling for 3 years before
finally just one agreed to help. In high school she asked to switch to online
school and had to battle to get that changed.

We asked Nove's principal to assign an aide to help her, to switch classrooms,
to send her to the school for troubled kids because even that would have
been better for her, and actually was when her teacher beat her down so far
she was so angry we were thinking about hospitalizing her.

Finally she was able to start 7th grade in a different school with a wonderful
teacher, but it was a long hard struggle to get her there. We KNEW. We TRIED.

I've heard a lot of stories from other parents who find it as hard to get that help
as we did, or even harding. We've heard from parents who did end up having to
hospitalize their kids, so far from home they couldn't even visit.

What Dr. Hallowell writes is what should be, but it's not reality.

aeon (01-06-17), Letching Gray (01-06-17)
Old 01-06-17, 12:39 AM
Jr Member

terminator0723 is on a distinguished road

"What I Would Never Trade Away" from ADDitude

Not sure if anyone posted these, but I didn't feel like reading through 5 pages of arguing to see. If you disagree with these, I understand. I didn't write them, just sharing.

Last edited by namazu; 01-06-17 at 01:41 AM.. Reason: replaced link to ADDitude with ads/forum (not allowed) with print-friendly version
The Following User Says Thank You to terminator0723 For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-06-17)
Old 01-06-17, 05:36 PM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
We KNEW we needed a school that could help my grandkids, but our local school
was crap for both of them and we didn't feel capable of home-schooling them.

We tried to get Kat's teachers to admit she was struggling for 3 years before
finally just one agreed to help. In high school she asked to switch to online
school and had to battle to get that changed.

We asked Nove's principal to assign an aide to help her, to switch classrooms,
to send her to the school for troubled kids because even that would have
been better for her, and actually was when her teacher beat her down so far
she was so angry we were thinking about hospitalizing her.

Finally she was able to start 7th grade in a different school with a wonderful
teacher, but it was a long hard struggle to get her there. We KNEW. We TRIED.

I've heard a lot of stories from other parents who find it as hard to get that help
as we did, or even harding. We've heard from parents who did end up having to
hospitalize their kids, so far from home they couldn't even visit.

What Dr. Hallowell writes is what should be, but it's not reality.
Those little grandchildren have a grandparent on their side, eager to help, willing to go to great lengths to intervene on their behalf, to believe in them, to support them. You don't realize how much you've accomplished. For, above all, a child with ADHD wants to be loved and ADHD kids know whether or not they are loved.

I would have given my life to have had you in my life as I sat there alone, 8 years old, a sweet kind little guy, turning bright red, humiliated, terrified, embarrassed, furied hatred lit in my heart and about to burst into a holocaust of destruction. All the while I never wanted to hurt anybody. I wanted to learn. I wanted someone to tell me I was a good kid, that I wasn't intentionally trying to be no good, to hurt my dad. They have you Lunacie.
The Following User Says Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-06-17)
Old 01-06-17, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letching Gray View Post
Those little grandchildren have a grandparent on their side, eager to help, willing to go to great lengths to intervene on their behalf, to believe in them, to support them. You don't realize how much you've accomplished. For, above all, a child with ADHD wants to be loved and ADHD kids know whether or not they are loved.

I would have given my life to have had you in my life as I sat there alone, 8 years old, a sweet kind little guy, turning bright red, humiliated, terrified, embarrassed, furied hatred lit in my heart and about to burst into a holocaust of destruction. All the while I never wanted to hurt anybody. I wanted to learn. I wanted someone to tell me I was a good kid, that I wasn't intentionally trying to be no good, to hurt my dad. They have you Lunacie.
Thank you. Their mom is really their bestest most wonderful advocate, but
I'm definitely on their team.

I like to think my parents would have been more supportive if they'd had the
knowledge I've gained in the last dozen years. But when I was a kid, no one
knew anything about ADHD or Autism. Going to a therapist was a sign of
weakness or wanting attention. We've had wonderful therapy for my girls.

The staff at the schools have all commented on how much we are willing to
do for our kids. Not to the point of not letting them take responsibility and
learn how to do things themselves, but Kat would often forget to take some-
thing to school and I was always willing to take it to her. And Nove was often
getting sent home early or needing clean clothes, either mom or I to the rescue.

Anyone who wouldn't do those things for their child (or grandchild) because
they think it encourages the child to be lazy doesn't really have a clue what
the impairments truly are. Maybe there are gifts, I don't think so. But I KNOW
there are impairments, they are real, they are not excuses or being lazy.
I get it ... because I have the same medical conditions these kids do.

Fuzzy12 (01-06-17), Letching Gray (01-06-17)
Old 01-06-17, 08:10 PM
Banned

Very few things in life are definite or come with a guarantee, right? But, I guarantee without hesitation, based upon what you've said, that your grandchildren will grow up knowing they were/are loved. And, when a person is confident and secure in the knowledge that he/she is truly loved for who she/he really is, WATCH OUT WORLD.
Old 01-06-17, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalem View Post
Now that I am 100% sure I have ADHD, I would like to know the advantages of having ADHD so I can realize my full potential.

You know that unidentifiable pain in your gut that has never gone away and you can't figure out why it's there? You know why you sense the woundedness in others you've never met? You know why your heart still stirs over Old Yeller, and when George reminds Lennie of their dreams as he pulls the trigger?