ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-17, 08:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,716 Times in 12,446 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the advantages of having ADHD?

I am curious why so many people have this need to attribute something positive to adhd. I don't mean that in an offensive way (I hope). I'm genuinely curious.

Is it because of a fear of turning bitter because we have been blighted with such a frustrating and impairing condition for no fault of ours? Do we think we need to be compensated somehow?

Or is it out of shame? Is it because so many of us are embarassed about our impairments that we want to believe we are special in other ways?

But then, having adhd doesn't mean that we cant have talents and skills. We can just like anybody else. Just like someone with cancer can be a good painter or someone with depression can have lots of general knowledge or someone who is deaf can be a real nice person. What is the need to link it to adhd? Are we maybe so insecure that we don't truly believe that there can be anything good about us unless it's caused by adhd?? That there's nothing about us but adhd?

What is it about adhd that is different to other disorders?? Why does it have to have positives when other disorders don't?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (01-06-17), Greyhound1 (01-06-17), Letching Gray (01-06-17), Lunacie (01-06-17), randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Old 01-06-17, 09:11 PM

Thanked 23,077 Times in 10,649 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Fuzzy, .

Those are some really good thoughts and questions.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (01-06-17), Fuzzy12 (01-07-17), Greyhound1 (01-06-17), Letching Gray (01-06-17), randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Old 01-06-17, 10:38 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,275 Times in 706 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

THERE IS NOTHING POSITIVE IN ANY WAY ABOUT A DISORDER LISTED IN THE DSM!!!

I'm not sure why some people place positive attributes to ADHD!!!

I love the way you broke it down in real examples to help people see how we can have things like cancer or deafness wrong with us and have positive attributes BUT there is no real link between them.
Save
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-07-17), Letching Gray (01-08-17), randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-17, 10:59 PM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

Nothing and no one says we have to have positive traits. We just do.

Have you heard of Williams Disorder? Get this, people with this disorder are missing 26 genes from the long arm of chromosome 7. Specifically, it is the deletion of at least one copy of the elastin gene on chromosome 7 that is characteristic of nearly all WMS diagnosis

Williams syndrome (WS) is a rare neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by: a distinctive, "elfin" facial appearance, along with a low nasal bridge; developmental delay coupled with language deficiencies; profound visuo-spatial impairments; and cardiovascular problems, such as supravalvular aortic stenosis and transient high blood calcium.

Guess what else? Unlike disorders that can make connecting with your child difficult, children with Williams syndrome tend to be social, friendly and endearing. Parents often say the joy and perspective a child with WS brings into their lives had been unimaginable. Many adults with WS contribute to their communities as volunteers or paid employees; often working at assisted living homes for senior citizens, hospitals and libraries, or as store greeters or veterinary aides. Among the hallmark traits of individuals with Williams syndrome is an apparent lack of social inhibition. Dykens and Rosner (1999) found that 100% of those with Williams syndrome were kindred-spirited, 90% sought the company of others, 87% empathize with others' pain, 84% are caring, 83% are unselfish/forgiving, 75% never go unnoticed in a group, and 75% are happy when others do well. an unusually cheerful demeanor and ease with strangers; Most individuals with Williams syndrome are highly verbal relative to their IQ, having what has been described as a "cocktail party" type personality. individuals with WS can also tend to demonstrate a love of music, and they appear significantly more likely to possess absolute pitch. People with Williams syndrome are often affable and hyperverbal-propensity and fondness of music. Similar sizes of the auditory cortex have been previously reported only in professional musicians. Despite their physical and cognitive deficits, individuals with Williams syndrome exhibit impressive social and verbal abilities. Infants with Williams syndrome make normal and frequent eye contact, and young children with Williams will often approach and hug strangers. Individuals affected by Williams syndrome typically have high empathy, and are rarely observed displaying aggression. In regards to empathy, they show relative strength in reading people's eyes to gauge intentions, emotions, and mental states. they are very friendly to strangers and love meeting new people-In one experiment, a group of children with Williams syndrome showed no signs of racial bias, unlike children without the syndrome.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-07-17), Fuzzy12 (01-07-17)
Old 01-06-17, 11:29 PM

Thanked 3,173 Times in 1,635 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Creativity, problem solving, love of music. Love of music isn't really a strength per say though you may find it soothing. Seems to me more of are absorbed with music than nts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I am curious why so many people have this need to attribute something positive to adhd. I don't mean that in an offensive way (I hope). I'm genuinely curious.
The ops reason is the same as mine. I just want to understand my strengths and weaknesses so I can better utilize my strengths and mitigate my weaknesses.

I also just want to know the truth which I do believe is that we are more creative on average.

And there are a tremendous number of studies suggesting we are more creative on average. There are some studies that conflict that idea too so it's not definitive but frankly very little in this world is and I for one have seen creativity in most adhders I know so i believe in creativity. A lot of people on this board talk about how creative they are too, way more than the average it feels like to me.

Anyway do hope you end up identifying some strengths in yourself you didn't know you had. I feel like I did when I got diagnosed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-07-17), Letching Gray (01-08-17)
Old 01-07-17, 07:04 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,942 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Creativity, problem solving, and love of music are excellent examples of positive characteristics that are common in non-ADHD people as well. There is nothing about ADHD to make these qualities better. The only relation to ADHD is that those happen to be things not too badly affected by ADHD, so they are still available to many of us.

That does not make them ADHD characteristics. We could just as easily say that having big feet is a characteristic of ADHD. It isn't. It's just a normal characteristic that anyone could have by accident.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-08-17), Letching Gray (01-08-17), Lunacie (01-07-17), randomguy1235 (02-04-17)
Old 01-07-17, 07:15 AM

Thanked 5,042 Times in 2,490 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Creativity, problem solving, and love of music are excellent examples of positive characteristics that are common in non-ADHD people as well. There is nothing about ADHD to make these qualities better. The only relation to ADHD is that those happen to be things not too badly affected by ADHD, so they are still available to many of us.

That does not make them ADHD characteristics. We could just as easily say that having big feet is a characteristic of ADHD. It isn't. It's just a normal characteristic that anyone could have by accident.
Nobody is saying that these traits don't exist in non-ADHD people.

However, I don't agree that there is nothing about ADHD that makes these qualities better. I think when you lack the ability to be productive, in a way, it forces you to tap into your creative side more. Unlocking greater creative potential compared to those who are capable of greater productivity.

ADHD makes us use alternative tools and methods for solving problems that other people would never even contemplate. I don't think that's a bad thing at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-08-17)
Old 01-07-17, 10:53 AM

Thanked 10,990 Times in 4,888 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
ADHD makes us use alternative tools and methods for solving problems that other people would never even contemplate. I don't think that's a bad thing at all.
On the surface, it doesn't sound bad, but for individuals with ADHD, it often means working twice as hard to go half the distance.

Other people don't even contemplate alternative tools and methods because they've already arrived at approaches and solutions which are optimal, and outside the disability imposed by ADHD.

Cheers,
Ian
BellaVita (01-08-17), finallyfound10 (01-09-17), Letching Gray (01-08-17), Little Missy (01-07-17), Lunacie (01-07-17)
Old 01-07-17, 01:03 PM

Thanked 21,866 Times in 7,966 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letching Gray View Post
"Perhaps the single most powerful treatment for ADHD is understanding ADHD in the first place. You need to understand what a positive attribute ADD can be in your life. So read books. Talk with professionals. Talk with other adults who have ADHD. You need to understand ADHD well enough to embrace it so you don’t blame yourself. You need to realize that while it may be holding you back right now, in time, with the right help, it can propel you to the fulfillment of your dreams." Hallowell

On kids with ADHD
"If your child is struggling in school, take heart. His or her learning problem is likely a marker of talent. Sure, there is a struggle. Sure, you worry. Sure, you hate to see your child work hard and get poor grades.

But you can take steps to mine the gems. Be sure you are working with a professional and a school which can help you develop the talent, not just address the problems and struggles. You need to do both simultaneously, develop talent and address short comings but in an atmosphere that is free of shame and fear and full of hope and positive energy.

This is not spin doctoring. This is the truth. This is the method that works the best. Children with learning differences are some of our most talented children. But they need special help. Otherwise their talent can go to waste and they can lead lives of chronic underachievement. They usually can’t unwrap their gifts on their own. They need a great teacher, an angel of a coach, a parent who never gives up on them and works as their advocate. They need to know that at least a couple of people believe in them no matter what." Hallowell

Personally I am grateful that the agony I've had to endure from being humiliated repeatedly throughout my life, pre-diagnosis and pre- treatment, has an explanation which absolves me of guilt and self-loathing. I have a heart the size of Alaska in part due to all that pain. I have a quick and creative mind which I use to encourage others in specific, tailor made phrases, for individuals. I have amazed my family with how sharp my mind is, where for most of my life they regarded me with adjectives I cannot repeat here. I was none of those things and no one knew, except somewhere deep down I still clung to vague memories that I wasn't always a no good, G.. D... S.. O. . B..... kid and an ungrateful, lazy, pathetic bum. I have wept many tears over how misunderstood I was, and not for me alone. My folks didn't know what held me back. And if they had been sober enough, they might have had wonderful, humane compassion for me. They didn't set out eager to parent a son they would abuse.

I consider myself to be uniquely blessed for my ADD and I'm convinced that my co-ADHDers have tons to offer this old broken down, miserable world, whether they think so or not. I have 0 interest in debating the topic. But, I did want to let you know what I think about this issue.
This is so beautifully written. Thank you. i wish I could rep this but I am on my phone and for some reason i am not allowed drop down menus. Your story resonates so strongly with me in its sincerity.

While adhd itself is not beneficial in and of itself, I was reading recently that knowledge alone does not induce empathy. it mist be a lived experience. This is true for many of life's vagaries. Having a disability, losing a loved one, a nasty divorce. unless you have the experience your ability to empathise is limited. if there is one thing that is a positive that comes put of the **** life throws at us, it's the ability to walk with people in pain. We've walked in the underworld, know the way down and back up again. (if we don't get lost at times ourselves )

This is a positive and wonderful thing
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-08-17)
Old 01-07-17, 02:29 PM
ADDvanced Member

EuropeanADHD is a jewel in the roughEuropeanADHD is a jewel in the roughEuropeanADHD is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post

Given the hundreds threads on here on how ADHD produces problems for people, I don't see how you can speak of "so many people", who "have the need to attribute something positive to adhd".

What percent of the treads on here is about the positive sides of ADHD do you think?

Also, the comparison to cancer isn't a good analogy. ADHD is something you are born with, so it can be compared to dwarfism, being born blind or without a hand, but not to cancer. And yes, I can imagine that people born blind, for example, tend to have better developed other senses - since they simply need them more.

[EDIT] A few months ago media in Germany devoted a lot of attention to the blind people employed in breast cancer testing. In Germany a program was started in the framework of which such people were trained and employed to conduct breast cancer tests on women. It was claimed that these people could find even small tumors, impossible to find for people who see and whose sense of touch is not so well developed. According to the articles I've read tests confirmed that.

This is not to say that it's good to be blind, of course!

To put it briefly, I think you're misinterpreting the question. I don't think the author of this thread asked why ADHD is a cool thing to have. It's more about the skills and capabilities ADHD may favor and which are positive. That's a legitimate question, why shouldn't it be?

Last edited by EuropeanADHD; 01-07-17 at 02:46 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EuropeanADHD For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-07-17), ginniebean (01-07-17), Letching Gray (01-13-17)
Old 01-07-17, 02:55 PM

ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanADHD View Post

To put it briefly, I think you're misinterpreting the question. I don't think the author of this thread asked why ADHD is a cool thing to have. It's more about the skills and capabilities ADHD may favor and which are positive. That's a legitimate question, why shouldn't it be?

Yes, I think this is interesting and could be discussed more. There are reasons why people shut down positives/gifts of adhd and very good ones. But yes, I think we can still maturely discuss these sort of spin off compensatories.

It's like sidewalk cutouts originally put in for use by people in wheel chairs, now everyone finds them useful at times. I know most of our compensations are hidden unlike the example above but they do exist and they could benefit people who don't have adhd as well. In the same way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
eclectic beagle (01-07-17), Letching Gray (01-08-17)
Old 01-07-17, 03:17 PM

Thanked 26,716 Times in 12,446 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanADHD View Post
Given the hundreds threads on here on how ADHD produces problems for people, I don't see how you can speak of "so many people", who "have the need to attribute something positive to adhd".

What percent of the treads on here is about the positive sides of ADHD do you think?

Also, the comparison to cancer isn't a good analogy. ADHD is something you are born with, so it can be compared to dwarfism, being born blind or without a hand, but not to cancer. And yes, I can imagine that people born blind, for example, tend to have better developed other senses - since they simply need them more.

[EDIT] A few months ago media in Germany devoted a lot of attention to the blind people employed in breast cancer testing. In Germany a program was started in the framework of which such people were trained and employed to conduct breast cancer tests on women. It was claimed that these people could find even small tumors, impossible to find for people who see and whose sense of touch is not so well developed. According to the articles I've read tests confirmed that.

This is not to say that it's good to be blind, of course!

My question is not regarding the percentage of people looking for something positive compared to the ones looking for something negative. My question is regarding why people look for positives in adhd when it seems as if people vwry rarely look for positives in other mental health disorders such as depression. In other words what is it about adhd thst makes people believe it has positives that other disorders don't. I think that's a legitimate question as well and there have been interesting and informative answers and examples including yours.

I don't have a problem by the way with anyone asking about the positives. I thought I made that clear. I'm just genuinely curious why they ask or rather why someone might take it for granted that adhd has positives. I considered starting s new thread about this but then decided that this one provided a better context.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (01-09-17), Letching Gray (01-08-17), Lunacie (01-07-17), randomguy1235 (02-06-17)
Old 01-07-17, 03:27 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,942 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I think it may come in part from the mistaken belief (conscious or unconscious) that because we don't look sick we must be faking.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-08-17), finallyfound10 (01-09-17), Fuzzy12 (01-07-17), Letching Gray (01-08-17), randomguy1235 (02-06-17)
Old 01-08-17, 02:16 AM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
This is so beautifully written. Thank you. i wish I could rep this but I am on my phone and for some reason i am not allowed drop down menus. Your story resonates so strongly with me in its sincerity.

While adhd itself is not beneficial in and of itself, I was reading recently that knowledge alone does not induce empathy. it mist be a lived experience. This is true for many of life's vagaries. Having a disability, losing a loved one, a nasty divorce. unless you have the experience your ability to empathise is limited. if there is one thing that is a positive that comes put of the **** life throws at us, it's the ability to walk with people in pain. We've walked in the underworld, know the way down and back up again. (if we don't get lost at times ourselves )

This is a positive and wonderful thing
ginniebean, my friend, let me say at the outset, what astounding, what brilliant and marvelous assessments you make. You obviously have exquisite taste, an IQ well over 334 and mounds and mounds of common sense. Bless you my dear.

However, I do have to disagree on one point. Just as our impulsiveness, tendencies toward disorganization, and our inability to pay attention consistently, plague and define us, I believe being born with ADHD necessarily sensitizes our innate capacity to empathize, enhances our creativity, establishes in us a certain dogged determination, propels us to be the life of the party, etc. I believe these characteristics are intrinsic, too.

BTW, forgive me but I don't know how these kinds of forums work. If some poor, deluded sap wants to befriend me, (I almost wrote defang me) I have no idea what that entails or means?
The Following User Says Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-08-17)
Old 01-08-17, 03:00 AM

By golly you're astute
AF

Anyway, befriending someone entails no obligation, it's just a nice gesture.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-08-17)