ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-17, 10:19 PM
Contributor

Letching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to all
Re: What are the advantages of having ADHD?

Negative trait associated with ADHD Accompanying, Positive Trait
Distractible Curious
Impulsive Creative
Hyperactive, restless Energetic
Intrusive Eager
Can’t stay on point Sees connections others miss
Forgetful Totally involved in what he/she is doing
Disorganized Spontaneous
Stubborn Persistent, won't give up
Inconsistent Shows flashes of brilliance
Moody Sensitive

"People with ADD tend to have many creative talents (usually underdeveloped until the diagnosis is made) and a highly original, out-of-the-box way of thinking. As highly intuitive people with a special “feel” for life, they can possess an almost “sixth sense” that lets them see straight to the heart of a matter instead of having to think it through methodically. Since impulsivity is one of the core symptoms of ADD, it stands to reason that people with ADD are more creative than their non-ADD counterparts. This is not spin control, nor is it an effort to paint a rosy picture of the potentially disabling side of ADD. Prisons, drug rehab centers, unemployment lines, divorce courts are full of people with undiagnosed, untreated ADD. But there is also a “gifted” side to ADD that packs the power to propel the child or adult who has it to success, even greatness. It’s all about tapping in to the “mirror traits” of the negative symptoms associated with ADD, which can become amazing assets."

This is all from Hallowell. I consider him to be an expert on ADHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-09-17)
Old 01-08-17, 10:38 PM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,884 Times in 9,299 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Is it bad that I think ADHD traits in people can come across as cute?

A couple people in particular who I am thinking of, they ramble, eyes dart around like a little puppy, getting off track on topics and clumsy when speaking, easily distracted by silly things, innocent child-like excitability and fascination with random things.

I know these are not really good things but they come across as so cute to me. And I think some of them are caused by ADHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-09-17)
Old 01-08-17, 10:39 PM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold

Could we see some test results, that would indicate that ADD people can solve creative problems much better then non adhd people?

It can't be that difficult to test .

A research done by an independent entity that doesn't know what,who and why they are testing it.

By now , we should have a proportionally larger group of ADHD people in a field where creative skills are necessary compering to non adhd group.

Sure dr. Hallowy is an expert,,, but there are experts that claim , there is no such thing as adhd.

So how can we know for sure that adhd people have superior creativity skills ?

Tests and scientific proof,

experts opinions don't matter if there isn't enough data from independent tests.

Huge sample of data,

otherwise it is just an opinion

experts are wrong too, remember stephen Hawkins and his black hole theory ?

How about men made global warning ,does it exits or no? Someone is wrong , who? we dont know yet, they are all experts, but one group is definitely wrong. All Phd's ,,, that much about experts

Last edited by john2100; 01-08-17 at 10:52 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-09-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-17, 12:51 AM
ADDvanced Member

Johnny Slick is just really niceJohnny Slick is just really niceJohnny Slick is just really niceJohnny Slick is just really nice

My dad (probably) had (undiagnosed) ADHD and was always sticking up for the less well off. I wonder how much of that is a direct reaction, though, to the ADHD and how much of it is "I feel like a lesser person in this society and as such I should stick up for others society thinks less of". I'm not sure there's anything *intrinsic* to ADHD that makes you extra empathetic, necessarily (well, the other thing is that we tend to naturally just kind of bulldoze our way over others, the hyperactive ones of us anyway, and a lot of us wind up trying to be extra vigilant about that, but again, not really directly *caused* by ADHD so much as it is a coping mechanism).
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Slick For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-10-17)
Old 01-09-17, 09:15 AM
Contributor

Letching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to all

I have this uncanny ability to predict what will happen next and ultimately in a movie. In Sleuth I knew instantly who the character was dressed as the avenging clown. My girlfriend was shocked.

I do it all the time. Others don't want to watch with me. I don't know how I know, but I do, generally within the first few moments at the beginning, and as a new scene unfolds.
Old 01-09-17, 09:19 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaVita View Post
Is it bad that I think ADHD traits in people can come across as cute?

A couple people in particular who I am thinking of, they ramble, eyes dart around like a little puppy, getting off track on topics and clumsy when speaking, easily distracted by silly things, innocent child-like excitability and fascination with random things.

I know these are not really good things but they come across as so cute to me. And I think some of them are caused by ADHD.
You can call me cute all you want, and I couldn't care less why.
Old 01-09-17, 10:30 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,545 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Thanks for the positive trait accompanying negative trait list leching gray. Very insightful list.

I've always believed there really isn't such a thing as a positive or negative trait in and of itself. It depends on the situation/environment at hand. Of course, there are way more environments where our traits are more harmful than helpful hence why it's considered a disorder. But still, there are definitely occasions when they are helpful.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-09-17), Letching Gray (01-09-17), Lunacie (01-09-17)
Old 01-09-17, 11:09 AM

Thanked 9,984 Times in 4,446 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letching Gray View Post
I trust the experts in this regard. Hallowell says we are race cars with bicycle brakes and I believe him.
This is fitting to the neurological data we know so far.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (01-09-17), Letching Gray (01-09-17)
Old 01-09-17, 11:33 AM
Jr Member

asalem is on a distinguished road

I think we are just different than NTs but not deficient. We just don't run by their order but we feel deficient because we are forced to adhere their order such as working 8 hour shifts and etc. I do agree that having ADHD can be a big strain on my life and it's taking a toll on me but I have noticed my strengths. For one, I am more willing to take on big tasks that NTs would think a hundred times before doing. I can complete tasks faster than most NTs.
The Following User Says Thank You to asalem For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-09-17)
Old 01-09-17, 12:11 PM

Thanked 25,701 Times in 11,948 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalem View Post
I think we are just different than NTs but not deficient. We just don't run by their order but we feel deficient because we are forced to adhere their order such as working 8 hour shifts and etc. I do agree that having ADHD can be a big strain on my life and it's taking a toll on me but I have noticed my strengths. For one, I am more willing to take on big tasks that NTs would think a hundred times before doing. I can complete tasks faster than most NTs.
Not we. You.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (01-09-17), Little Missy (01-09-17)
Old 01-09-17, 01:20 PM
Contributor

The ADD mind is a unique and interesting kind of mind. People with ADD generally have a high degree of creativity and energy, with a keen intelligence that sometimes approaches genius level. Although the terms ADD and ADHD did not exist back in their day, such great minds as Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Leonard Da Vinci, Beethoven, Galileo and Abraham Lincoln are all thought to have exhibited many of the symptoms we now recognize as ADD. So, if you have recently been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, you can consider yourself in good company!

Michael Phelps,
Justin Timberlake, who recently revealed he has both ADHD and OCD, from winning 6 Grammy Awards and selling over 70 million records.
James Carville, now a successful author and tv commentator, was diagnosed with ADD in his mid-fifties, shortly after learning his oldest daughter had received an ADD diagnosis.
the founder of Jet Blue Airlines, David Neeleman,
the founder of Kinko’s, Paul Orfalea, have overcome their ADD to achieve great things.

All across America, and around the world for that matter, there are people who have learned how to leverage the positives associated with ADD, and “override” the negatives, to accomplish their dreams. They are successful surgeons, attorneys, pilots, actors, musicians, athletes, race car drivers, newscasters, teachers, best-selling authors … you name it. They are no different than YOU!

Hallowell
Old 01-09-17, 03:50 PM
Jr Member

asalem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Not we. You.
What you mean by "not we"?
The Following User Says Thank You to asalem For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-09-17)
Old 01-09-17, 04:35 PM

Thanked 25,701 Times in 11,948 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalem View Post
What you mean by "not we"?
I mean that not all of us are deficient solely because we are trying to adhere to an order imposed on us by nt s.

I'm impaired not just in relation to society but my symptoms also trouble me when I'm on my own. I don't find racing thoughts pleasant. I don't like the feeking of not being in control of my emotions actions or thoughts. I don't like not being able to stick to even my hobbies or things I enjoy. Etc.

But then I also don't have the positive traits that you have. I struggle with big tasks. I almost never am a me to complete them. And i definitely am not faster than most people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-10-17), Lunacie (01-09-17)
Old 01-09-17, 04:41 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,307 Times in 8,633 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I question the terminology "developmental delay". If my development is "delayed", that necessarily means I will get there eventually. I'm well over 40 now, and my development hasn't caught up yet. Do we wait till I'm 90? Or do we admit that it's a deficiency and not a delay.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-09-17), Letching Gray (01-09-17), Little Missy (01-09-17)
Old 01-09-17, 05:44 PM
Contributor

Guess what Einstein said? Literally, he said, "I was a late developer." He claimed that if he had not developed later than most, he would not have formulated the theory of relativity. As an adult he was still thinking about light and energy and the nature of the universe, when most people had gone through that phase as children. There's hope, baby.

As time flies by, it hits me like a shot to the head how cool it would be to leave my failures behind and create new and fresh successes.

Walter Isaacson wrote, ""Einstein was slow in learning how to speak. His parents even consulted a doctor. He also had a cheeky rebelliousness toward authority, which led one headmaster to expel him and another to amuse history by saying that he would never amount to much. But these traits helped make him a genius. His cocky contempt for authority led him to question conventional wisdom. His slow verbal development made him curious about ordinary things — such as space and time — that most adults take for granted. His father gave him a compass at age five, and he puzzled over the nature of a magnetic field for the rest of his life. And he tended to think in pictures rather than words."

Last edited by Letching Gray; 01-09-17 at 05:56 PM..