ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-17, 06:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,716 Times in 12,446 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the advantages of having ADHD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalem View Post
Trust me. You think I don't suffer from my ADHD and struggle with it. I am just saying we should embrace ourselves to who we are and use whatever good will come out of it to our advantage. God says in the last revelation Quran" It may be that you hate a thing but it good for you" I know God gives me problems to teach me the hard way. As the majority of mankind are heedless of the remembrance of God, God has given a different route to work with that we may find our true purpose in life. Use this to succeed.
I can't argue with that. Well, I could but it would be against the guidelines.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
EuropeanADHD (01-10-17), Letching Gray (01-10-17), Lunacie (01-09-17)
Old 01-09-17, 09:23 PM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The ADD mind is a unique and interesting kind of mind. People with ADD generally have a high degree of creativity and energy, with a keen intelligence that sometimes approaches genius level. Although the terms ADD and ADHD did not exist back in their day, such great minds as Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Leonard Da Vinci, Beethoven, Galileo and Abraham Lincoln are all thought to have exhibited many of the symptoms we now recognize as ADD. So, if you have recently been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, you can consider yourself in good company!

He is cherry picking genius to make us feel like we are in a good company.

Why not look at full spectrum of ADHD people .
I bet there are ADHD people who are screw-ups, criminals,murders.

If we happen to find some screw-ups with ADHD , would it still be true that we were in a good company?

Quote:
People with ADD generally have a high degree of creativity and energy, with a keen intelligence that sometimes approaches genius level
If you look closely at the second part of the sentence it says : that SOMETIMES it approaches genius level. Non adhd people's IQ are SOMETIMES on genius spectrum as well.

And if ADHD people are so freaking resourceful ,creative , energetic why do they even need this forum ?

Why are there so many people asking for help on this forum?

Aren't we supposed be creative geniuses?
How come , we can't figure out ADHD treatment , meds dosage, organization,social skills, money, memory problem, distractions ,depression ,anxiety, OCD, etc,,the list goes on and on ?
The Following User Says Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-09-17)
Old 01-10-17, 01:33 AM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

"Prisons, drug rehab centers, unemployment lines, divorce courts are full of people with undiagnosed, untreated ADD." Hallowell

Sometimes, I wonder how many would have avoided prisons, drug rehabs, etc., if they had received a proper diagnosis and treatment for ADHD.

One time, I was blessed to speak to a graduating class of teachers. I asked them not to give up on their most difficult and challenging students. I shared with them what had happened to me, the struggle with school and teachers, getting thrown out and suspended, the drinking, the frequent experiences of humiliation, and how the diagnosis and treatment had given me access to develop my potential. I remember saying that they should try to believe in the worst behaved kids because deep down they may want to learn but simply can't, not without medical intervention.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-10-17), Johnny Slick (01-10-17), Lunacie (01-10-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-17, 04:35 AM

Thanked 21,866 Times in 7,966 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: What are the advantages of having ADHD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letching Gray View Post
ginniebean, among other oddities, strange habits and inexplicable, various and sundry quirks, my personal anonymity is something I guard with ravenous and preposterous diligence. It is nothing personal. You are "my friend" whether I make it official or not.

You have inspired me to ask myself why this is so. It is so ingrained in my psyche I don't think about it.

As a teenager, dad posed a question to me that I could only answer in the affirmative. He was deadly serious about it. I had no time to think about it or the ramifications of a negative response, not with my dad, not with his expectations of me, not with our never-spoken but sworn to agreement about my role in life. I could never mention or imply in front of anyone the nature of the question. It could suggest the nature of our secret and no one, no one, ever, not ever, could even sense a hint of this all-binding contract, the one I never signed, but was good for til death.

He demanded to know if I could beat up Muhammad Ali in his prime. "Of course", I insisted. Ever since I was little, he had assigned to me the responsibility of taking care of his masculinity. I had no idea, consciously, he had anointed me with this grave and delicate task. All I knew was that I loved the guy more than anything and I wanted to please him so much I would have given up my life for him gladly to help him with anything.

It was in treatment years later that I first became conscious of this. I balled like a maniac-I collapsed in agonizing shouts and blubbering streams of tears because I felt so bad for failing Him.

I had buried that burden deep inside. I had tried, through developing physically, to ensure a situation never presented itself in which I couldn't destroy any challengers, so that he could feel good about his own manhood. I could Not let him down. He could never find out that there was ever a time when I failed to uphold my and by inference his persona as the most powerful of all men, everywhere. To show anyone even a vague hint of concern that I wasn't the most vicious monster out there, I feared, would destroy him.

I became quite accomplished at running, hiding, disappearing, when my fear of not holding up my end of the agreement became too intense. I could never, ever, let people know who I was.

I said all that to explain why I instinctively resist doing anything to reveal my identity. I realize I'm nuts and now you know why, too.

As someone who is excruciatingly private I fully understand.

I recently heard a label of "toxic masculinity" and the damage it can do to males. I was skeptical of the source because the person is hostile to males but it may veey well be something real.

In any case, from one nut to another, I'm glad to be counted as a friend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Johnny Slick (01-10-17), Letching Gray (01-10-17)
Old 01-10-17, 05:14 AM
Banned

Letching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud ofLetching Gray has much to be proud of

thanks much ginniebean. i appreciate the "toxic masculinity" reference which i'll look up and your comments. you are bright, fair, positive, helpful, compassionate, etc
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-10-17), ginniebean (01-10-17)
Old 01-10-17, 07:18 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,083 Times in 12,628 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

First of all Kudos to everyone for keeping this on track and not nasty- it can be hard when we feel passionate about something.
I wonder if it would make sense to say people treated properly for adhd are more likely to see the positives about it?
Untreated adhd certainly causes impairments. I dont mind this topic actually. Its a good discussion.
What I find is that those who do not believe there are positives to adhd are often poo-pooed as negative,or always seeing the tarnish on a coin. I dont think being realistic is negative.
And I know that people like to cite famous people with adhd, but how can we know for sure thats the case if it didnt have a name? Couldnt we assume that it could be some sort of other developmental delay?
Or a mental illness? I am not saying adhd is akin to mental illness BTW, just that how do we know some of these people had adhd save the modern references that are verifiable?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-10-17)
Old 01-10-17, 07:48 AM
Banned

"I wonder if it would make sense to say people treated properly for adhd are more likely to see the positives about it?"

I think so. Not until I received medical intervention could I pinpoint the unique features of my brain for what they were and begin to harness them. I had the symptoms of the suggested criteria and I also recognized the gifts that they claimed accompanied the diagnosis.
The Following User Says Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
Johnny Slick (01-10-17)
Old 01-10-17, 07:57 AM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
And I know that people like to cite famous people with adhd, but how can we know for sure thats the case if it didnt have a name? Couldnt we assume that it could be some sort of other developmental delay?
Let just say that Davinci,mozart,edison and Einstein had ADHD.

Then ADHD people could proudly say : We are in a good company.

How does it help ADHD people who are not genius?

Let's assume that the rest of the famous geniuses don't have ADHD.

Then non ADHD people could proudly say: We are in a good company.

How does it help non ADHD people who are not genius?

Steve jobs,Bill gates, Warren Buffet

Then all the non ADHD men could say: We are in a good company

How does it help non ADHD men who are not genius?

And then groups could get smaller and more and more specific and every group could pick just one "hero" and say : we are in a good company.

So at the end, the whole humanity is in a good company and such statement loses any meaning for any group.

It like saying : People are smart, men are smart, women are smart,phd's,scientists,MBA's etc...... are smart.
How Does it help those who can't show their genius?
Old 01-10-17, 08:36 AM
The Von Kaiser of Moderators

Johnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of lightJohnny Slick is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letching Gray View Post
thanks much ginniebean. i appreciate the "toxic masculinity" reference which i'll look up and your comments. you are bright, fair, positive, helpful, compassionate, etc
As a MAN I do think there's a lot of truth to the idea of toxic masculinity, especially as it applies to people who live with ADHD. There is already a thing with men to remain stoic and calm and "strong" which feeds into the desire to secret part of ourselves away from everyone else that seems to almost come along with undiagnosed ADHD. As men, this is an additional thing we need to push back against.

Also I do want to agree, and I hope that I didn't muddle things up before, that when I'm looking at silver linings to the cloud of ADHD I am absolutely *not* referring to the undiagnosed variety. I'm currently coming to grips with the fact that my dad almost certainly had ADHD, felt deeply ashamed at his inability to hold jobs and find work that stimulated him intellectually, and never had an outlet to allay this shame let alone have someone break it to him that he suffered from ADHD, not character flaws. There is no way I'm ever going to say that ADHD was a positive for *him* even as I appreciate some of the positive qualities his condition brought out sometimes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Slick For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-10-17), ginniebean (01-11-17), Letching Gray (01-11-17)
Old 01-10-17, 08:45 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,891 Times in 9,301 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2100 View Post
Let just say that Davinci,mozart,edison and Einstein had ADHD.

Then ADHD people could proudly say : We are in a good company.

How does it help ADHD people who are not genius?

Let's assume that the rest of the famous geniuses don't have ADHD.

Then non ADHD people could proudly say: We are in a good company.

How does it help non ADHD people who are not genius?

Steve jobs,Bill gates, Warren Buffet

Then all the non ADHD men could say: We are in a good company

How does it help non ADHD men who are not genius?

And then groups could get smaller and more and more specific and every group could pick just one "hero" and say : we are in a good company.

So at the end, the whole humanity is in a good company and such statement loses any meaning for any group.

It like saying : People are smart, men are smart, women are smart,phd's,scientists,MBA's etc...... are smart.
How Does it help those who can't show their genius?
Knowing that my two favorite Davids in the world have ADHD make me feel good.

(OK David Archuleta's ADHD isn't 100% confirmed, it is highly suspected though based on his numerous comments throughout the years describing his challenges with procrastination, and distraction. When he talks he bounces from subject to subject and can't stay on topic, and his eyes are always darting around looking everywhere. He has even referred to himself as ADD, and when I went to his concert last year he had to stop in the middle of the concert because he was getting very distracted and he said "I'm having trouble focusing" – he also frequently forgets lyrics to his own songs and songs he has known for years )

Those two Davids are inspiring to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-11-17), Lunacie (01-10-17)
Old 01-10-17, 10:08 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Knowing that my two favorite Davids in the world have ADHD make me feel good.
Where would we find an inspiration if we didn't have any people that we could relate to who had adhd.

What if adhd affected only 0.01% of population , making it statistically very unlikely to have famous people that we could admire.

Wouldn't we just find people to admire who didn't have adhd ?

Would we really feel so lonely ? We wouldn't be able to use: We are in a good company ,phrase anymore....More like: We have no company.
The Following User Says Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-10-17)
Old 01-11-17, 05:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
As a MAN I do think there's a lot of truth to the idea of toxic masculinity, especially as it applies to people who live with ADHD. There is already a thing with men to remain stoic and calm and "strong" which feeds into the desire to secret part of ourselves away from everyone else that seems to almost come along with undiagnosed ADHD. As men, this is an additional thing we need to push back against.

Also I do want to agree, and I hope that I didn't muddle things up before, that when I'm looking at silver linings to the cloud of ADHD I am absolutely *not* referring to the undiagnosed variety. I'm currently coming to grips with the fact that my dad almost certainly had ADHD, felt deeply ashamed at his inability to hold jobs and find work that stimulated him intellectually, and never had an outlet to allay this shame let alone have someone break it to him that he suffered from ADHD, not character flaws. There is no way I'm ever going to say that ADHD was a positive for *him* even as I appreciate some of the positive qualities his condition brought out sometimes.
Sorry about your dad.

ADHD is a disaster if it remains undiagnosed and untreated, depending on its severity, one's intelligence, coping abilities, capacity to compensate and organize, expectations, environmental demands, family support, etc.

To be vulnerable in our culture is practically a guarantee that abuse is not far off in the future. Ironically, the innate tendency to intuit and understand the perpetrator's own fragility, fueling his/her motivation to mistreat, is part of the dynamic for us as well. We are likely to be stretched beyond our natural strength to offer understanding for even the most severely battered among us.

Receiving effective treatment is critical. The right meds at the correct dosages can be a phenomenal boost, sparking absolutely night and day differences for many of us.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-11-17), Johnny Slick (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 06:14 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,942 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

The "company" we are frequently told we're in - historic figures especially - are very likely to have not had ADHD.

But it doesn't matter anyway, because whether or not someone else has ADHD has nothing to do with advantages or disadvantages of the disorder.

And, as before, being creative or even a genius is unrelated to ADHD. It's like saying one of the advantages of being tall is that you can wear shoes - actually, short and medium people can wear shoes too, so it makes no difference.

The only way that something can be an advantage of ADHD:
- it has to actually be a good thing
- it has to be part of ADHD
AND
- it has to NOT be part of people without ADHD.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.

Last edited by dvdnvwls; 01-11-17 at 06:40 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 11:42 AM

Thanked 23,077 Times in 10,649 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
The "company" we are frequently told we're in - historic figures especially - are very likely to have not had ADHD.

But it doesn't matter anyway, because whether or not someone else has ADHD has nothing to do with advantages or disadvantages of the disorder.

And, as before, being creative or even a genius is unrelated to ADHD. It's like saying one of the advantages of being tall is that you can wear shoes - actually, short and medium people can wear shoes too, so it makes no difference.

The only way that something can be an advantage of ADHD:
- it has to actually be a good thing
- it has to be part of ADHD
AND
- it has to NOT be part of people without ADHD.
That's not quite how I see it.

The symptoms of ADHD are things everyone has or does to some degree.
It becomes a mental disorder when those symptoms are overwhelming and
impairing.

So any advantages are also likely things that everyone has, but they wouldn't
be considered part of the ADHD package unless only those with ADHD have
them to an overwhelming degree.

It feels like there's more I want to add, but my train has gone off the rails.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-11-17), Letching Gray (01-12-17)
Old 01-11-17, 01:41 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,942 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
That's not quite how I see it.

The symptoms of ADHD are things everyone has or does to some degree.
It becomes a mental disorder when those symptoms are overwhelming and
impairing.

So any advantages are also likely things that everyone has, but they wouldn't
be considered part of the ADHD package unless only those with ADHD have
them to an overwhelming degree.
Yes, OK.

I can't think of any in particular. Can you?

I like your definition better than mine, but in practice I don't think it matters - because I haven't heard anyone mention even a single thing that fits it.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-11-17), Letching Gray (01-12-17)