ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-17, 01:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,484 Times in 10,360 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What are the advantages of having ADHD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Yes, OK.

I can't think of any in particular. Can you?

I like your definition better than mine, but in practice I don't think it matters - because I haven't heard anyone mention even a single thing that fits it.
It's reported that we have more pronounced creative skills, but I'm not convinced.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-12-17)
Old 01-11-17, 04:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

Letching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to all

I think the symptoms of the disorder come in a package. Our crippling traits are often accompanied by certain kinds of strengths that combine into a set of fairly predictable grouped characteristics.

I don't think we are all geniuses or unusually creative or highly intuitive. Generally, I think that in light of our weaknesses our strengths are often overlooked. Chances are good that we possess substantial assets which is pretty remarkable, especially in light of our deficits. Depending on other factors like general intelligence, emotional support, our temperament, the specific kinds of challenges we confront, we are often capable of excelling beyond what is expected.
The Following User Says Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 06:26 PM

Thanked 25,668 Times in 11,927 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Wgat are these certain strengths? The strengths that are shared by thr large majority of adhders and that are a direct effect of adhd (and nor just gained by having to live with adversity).

There might be a case for creativity being one. What else?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-12-17), Lunacie (01-11-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-17, 07:12 PM

Soerj86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalem View Post
Now that I am 100% sure I have ADHD, I would like to know the advantages of having ADHD so I can realize my full potential.
Subjects like this are never black and white, and therefore there are no clear-cut answers to your question.
There are a lot of people in this thread replying with a ultimate "nothing", and I'm absolutely convinced that it's very untrue.

That being said, you almost question the advantages of ADHD like it's a superpower. It's certainly not.
ADHD show itself in different ways, but odds are it will cause you more disadvantages than advantages in life.

Then again, so will many other things in life. That doesn't mean they're all bad. Not by a long shot.

To some people ADHD wreck serious havoc in their lives, while others actually do gain benefits from their state of mind, so the only one who truly can answer your question is yourself.
Old 01-11-17, 08:28 PM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
There are a lot of people in this thread replying with a ultimate "nothing", and I'm absolutely convinced that it's very untrue.
Could you name a profession,professional sport or any other productive activity that someone is willing to pay for where ADHD people outperform non-ADHD by high margin?

Im sure we can name pick individuals just to prove the point, but in order to start generalizing those advantages we must test a huge group of people.

A question for anybody on this forum

Have you ever heard in any conversation , a potential employer or a business owner,a friend ,anybody who want's to hire and pay someone money saying: "I really need to hire some ADD or ADHD people ,,,,my employees just can't do it like those ADHD people can. Where the hell do I find them ?"

Why is it that so many adhd people struggle with jobs, what is that secret useful advantage that someone is willing to pay for?
Not to mention that meds are helping to control the symptoms.
So imagine that all the people stop taking meds right now, just to bring out that special advantage and fully embrace the gift of adhd.

How many would lose their jobs in next 2 weeks without meds?
You see my point?

If there was that special advantage I think forum users would already be suggesting it as something that employers are seeking , and are willing to deal with all the negatives that adhd brings.

Last edited by john2100; 01-11-17 at 08:55 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-11-17)
Old 01-11-17, 10:00 PM

Mantaray14 is a jewel in the roughMantaray14 is a jewel in the roughMantaray14 is a jewel in the rough

I think that saying ADD people are inferior to neuro-typicals just reinforcing a stereotype against yourself other atypical personality types. Does Temple-grandin think that she would be able empathize with animals the way she did if she was neuro-typical? I belive not. My wife is mildly bipolar and she has accomplished more (coming from nothing), than just about anyone I know. Joan of Arc was thought to be Bipolar and possibly Napoleon. Their executive function is almost superhuman when they r on. An add type can learn a lot from them.

That being said there are people with all disorders who cannot function, and I wouldn't wish Autism on anyone. Bi-polar can also be devastating (my wife's sister was diagnosed, and she was institutionalized for a while). A lot of come down to some interaction between and genes and enviorment IMO. So I get it why many feel this way, and I emphasize with them.

But at the same time there are many people with these diverse neural makeups who are in the functional area (over 10% of children w/ add dx, no way they r all considered disabled, I don't care what anyone on this forum says) , and they don't deserve to be treated as inferior because it serves no useful purpose for them. But trusts me some Neuro typicals will walk all over you and attempt to instill an inferiority complex in you. So first priority for any functional add person is to overcome that fear and feeling of inferiority and this mindset is counterproductive to that end. You need to be strong to make it if your atypical - someone will always be coming after you, but theres a reason for that...because deep down they r threatened by you... I wonder why.?

I haven't checked this forum in ages but I see it's the same old argument, that's pretty much all I have to say!
Old 01-11-17, 10:18 PM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
So first priority for any functional add person is to overcome that fear and feeling of inferiority and this mindset is counterproductive to that end. You need to be strong to make it if your atypical - someone will always be coming after you, but theres a reason for that...because deep down they r threatened by you... I wonder why.?
The thread is about advantages of ADHD. I think realizing that you have disability is the only way to progress. Feeling sorry for your self and feeling inferior is obviously a bad think.

The main idea is to admit to yourself that you can't do certain things naturally like non-adhd people. Only then you can start creating your ways of achieving the same things as non -adhd people. But lying to yourself and believing that you are superior ,that disorder gives you superior skills is rather damaging.
The Following User Says Thank You to john2100 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-12-17)
Old 01-11-17, 11:04 PM

Thanked 22,484 Times in 10,360 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaray14 View Post
I think that saying ADD people are inferior to neuro-typicals just reinforcing a stereotype against yourself other atypical personality types. Does Temple-grandin think that she would be able empathize with animals the way she did if she was neuro-typical? I belive not. My wife is mildly bipolar and she has accomplished more (coming from nothing), than just about anyone I know. Joan of Arc was thought to be Bipolar and possibly Napoleon. Their executive function is almost superhuman when they r on. An add type can learn a lot from them.

That being said there are people with all disorders who cannot function, and I wouldn't wish Autism on anyone. Bi-polar can also be devastating (my wife's sister was diagnosed, and she was institutionalized for a while). A lot of come down to some interaction between and genes and enviorment IMO. So I get it why many feel this way, and I emphasize with them.

But at the same time there are many people with these diverse neural makeups who are in the functional area (over 10% of children w/ add dx, no way they r all considered disabled, I don't care what anyone on this forum says) , and they don't deserve to be treated as inferior because it serves no useful purpose for them. But trusts me some Neuro typicals will walk all over you and attempt to instill an inferiority complex in you. So first priority for any functional add person is to overcome that fear and feeling of inferiority and this mindset is counterproductive to that end. You need to be strong to make it if your atypical - someone will always be coming after you, but theres a reason for that...because deep down they r threatened by you... I wonder why.?

I haven't checked this forum in ages but I see it's the same old argument, that's pretty much all I have to say!
Where did you see anyone saying that those with ADHD are somehow "inferior?" Or that any of us feel that we are inferior? I haven't seen that.

We might be able to learn a lot from someone with good executive function,
but it won't make our own executive functions work any better because that
is the part of our brains that just doesn't work as well.

Nor do I see where anyone here has said or implied that everyone with ADHD
is "disabled." This disorder has to cause a pretty severe impairment for us to
qualify for a government disability.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-12-17)
Old 01-11-17, 11:50 PM
Contributor

Quote:
It's reported that we have more pronounced creative skills, but I'm not convinced.
It is "reported" . I'm reporting I saw a Bigfoot . End of report.
And that's all there is to it.
It almost looks like ,whoever is making such statements think , we are not able to verify it ,as it looks almost too abstract to measure.

Creativity can be easily measured with test both practical and theoretical .
Let say non-adhd people score on avarage 30/100
If adhd people have an average score of 40/100 ,that would look like a slight advantage.

Why not run extensive tests , if it is true , we 'll focus more on creative work .

What is interesting that no-one ever says: "Students with ADHD have 5x higer success rate of finishing college then non -adhd students.

Can you imagine if someone made such a statement as a newbie here ,just as a joke?
In 2 min they would be bombarded with STATISTICS to prove them wrong.

So why is it when someone makes rather controversial statement claiming superior creativity compering to non-adhd people, can do it without any proof,evidence or statistics.
Old 01-12-17, 12:29 AM
ADDvanced Member

Letching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to allLetching Gray is a name known to all

Hey Lunacie,

"This disorder has to cause a pretty severe impairment for us to
qualify for a government disability."

I haven't mentioned this but I am disabled as the result of this disorder in the eyes of the government and have received services. I even got funding to be trained to assist others with ADHD.

The degree of my impairment is severe and left me unable to function independently without medical assistance. On the other hand due to the wonders of modern medicine, I can tap into intellectual resources that were shut off to me my entire life. For one thing I don't need 40 cups of coffee any more to be able to read a sentence in a book. In fact, today I'm a pretty good reader, but without my brain awakened with meds, (or pots of coffee) I'm in serious trouble.

Yet, even consuming 40 cups of coffee my ability to attend to what others were saying was deeply compromised. Meds that enable me to focus sufficiently to be able to read also help me to hear. It is nothing short of a miracle, to me. Also, I have learned to express myself with a measure of competence I cannot muster without meds. I "tune out" regularly within fractions of a second. Following directions has almost always been practically impossible, but not now.

At the same time I have been extraordinarily empathetic all my life. (And I can act without training with ease, not to brag, it just is. I have had a lot of practice pretending to hear what others have said. Dustin Hoffman has ADHD.)
ginniebean (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 03:48 AM

Soerj86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2100 View Post
Could you name a profession,professional sport or any other productive activity that someone is willing to pay for where ADHD people outperform non-ADHD by high margin?

Im sure we can name pick individuals just to prove the point, but in order to start generalizing those advantages we must test a huge group of people.

A question for anybody on this forum

Have you ever heard in any conversation , a potential employer or a business owner,a friend ,anybody who want's to hire and pay someone money saying: "I really need to hire some ADD or ADHD people ,,,,my employees just can't do it like those ADHD people can. Where the hell do I find them ?"

Why is it that so many adhd people struggle with jobs, what is that secret useful advantage that someone is willing to pay for?
Not to mention that meds are helping to control the symptoms.
So imagine that all the people stop taking meds right now, just to bring out that special advantage and fully embrace the gift of adhd.

How many would lose their jobs in next 2 weeks without meds?
You see my point?

If there was that special advantage I think forum users would already be suggesting it as something that employers are seeking , and are willing to deal with all the negatives that adhd brings.
No I cannot name a profession where anyone would pay more to hire a person with ADHD. But that does not mean that there are no strengths or advantages.

The same goes for psychopaths or left-handedness in western countries, to give an example.
Noone will hire you on these "qualifications", but still both traits have advantages and disadvantages.

When speaking of whether or not ADHD gives any advantages, you can not use scenarios like this as a conclusive argument, because ADHD always includes disadvantages as well, and that the effects of it vary so greatly.
Old 01-12-17, 03:48 AM

Thanked 21,763 Times in 7,925 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2100 View Post
The thread is about advantages of ADHD. I think realizing that you have disability is the only way to progress. Feeling sorry for your self and feeling inferior is obviously a bad think.

The main idea is to admit to yourself that you can't do certain things naturally like non-adhd people. Only then you can start creating your ways of achieving the same things as non -adhd people. But lying to yourself and believing that you are superior ,that disorder gives you superior skills is rather damaging.

Agreed, acceptance that adhd is a disabling condition is not negative, it's the first start. Until you accept what you are dealing with you have no starting point and are throwing darts in the dark.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 03:50 AM

Thanked 21,763 Times in 7,925 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Where did you see anyone saying that those with ADHD are somehow "inferior?" Or that any of us feel that we are inferior? I haven't seen that.

We might be able to learn a lot from someone with good executive function,
but it won't make our own executive functions work any better because that
is the part of our brains that just doesn't work as well.

Nor do I see where anyone here has said or implied that everyone with ADHD
is "disabled." This disorder has to cause a pretty severe impairment for us to
qualify for a government disability.

Actually, you can be disabled and not qualify for government disability. ADHD is a disability. People with learning disabilities do not qualify for gov't disability either. They are disabled none-the-less.

Disability isn't actually a gov't term.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Letching Gray (01-12-17), Lunacie (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 03:51 AM
ADDvanced Member

Wink Re: What are the advantages of having ADHD?

Goodman adds, “there are enough differences in ADHD brains to make it undeniable that the brain of an ADHD individual is uniquely different—both in the way that it’s structured and in the way neural networks get activated in problem solving.”

Goodman, David W., M.D. is a professor at Johns Hopkins

Education

1973-77

B.A.

University of Rochester

1978-82

M.D.

Albany Medical College
1982-1983

Psychiatry and Internal Medicine Internship

Baltimore City Hospital

1983-86

Psychiatry Residency

Johns Hopkins Hospital

Professional Interests

Patient care is focused on the diagnosis and treatment of mood/anxiety disorders, ADHD in people ages 16 and older, and complex psychopharmacology. Research and publications have focused on adult ADHD and co-existing psychiatric/medical disorders. Having lectured in three countries, authored a book, and provided psychiatric commentary for national television programs, I have a special interest in the education of physicians and the general public on psychiatric conditions, specifically adult ADHD and associated mood/anxiety/substance use disorders.

Publications

Goodman DW, Mitchell S, Rhodewalt L, Surman CB. Clinical Presentation, Diagnosis and Treatment of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in Older Adults: A Review of the Evidence and its Implications for Clinical Care. Drugs Aging. 2016 Jan;33(1):27-36.

Goodman DW and Thase ME. Recognizing ADHD in Adults with Comorbid Mood Disorders: Implications for Identification and Management. Postgraduate Medicine, Volume 121, Issue 5, September 2009, 1-11.

Goodman DW. The Black Book of ADHD. 2009. MBL Communications, Inc

Goodman DW. Differential Diagnosis of Adult Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: Treatment Options and Comorbidity Considerations. CNS Spectrums 2009. 14:7 (suppl 6), 1-1

Don't know if anyone lives in or near Baltimore, but if you do, this man is dedicated to helping those with ADHD 16 years old and older
ginniebean (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 04:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Wgat are these certain strengths? The strengths that are shared by thr large majority of adhders and that are a direct effect of adhd (and nor just gained by having to live with adversity).

There might be a case for creativity being one. What else?
Experts list a number of strengths. Hallowell, who has ADHD and dyslexia, mentions quite a few and he's consulted with thousands of adults and children who have ADHD.

"Many of us with ADHD crave high-stimulus situations. In my case, I love casinos, the high-intensity crucible of doing psychotherapy and having lots of people around. High stim situations can get you into trouble, which is why ADHD is high among criminals and self-destructive risk-takers. It is also high among so-called Type A personalities, as well as among manic-depressives, sociopaths and drug users. But it is also high among creative and intuitive people in all fields, and among highly-energetic, highly-productive people. Which is to say there is a positive side to all this. Usually the positive doesn’t get mentioned when people speak about ADHD because there is a natural tendency to focus on what goes wrong, or at least on what has to be somehow controlled. But often once the ADHD has been diagnosed, and the individual, with the help of teachers, parents and colleagues, has learned how to cope with it, an untapped realm of the brain swims into view. Suddenly the radio station is tuned in, the windshield is clear, the sand storm has died down. And the child or adult, who had been such a problem, such a nudge, such a general pain in the neck, starts doing things he’d never been able to do before. He surprises everyone around him, and he surprises himself. I use the male pronoun, but it could just as easily be she, as we are seeing more and more ADHD among females as we are looking for it.

Often these people are highly imaginative and intuitive. They have a “feel” for things, a way of seeing right into the heart of matters while others have to reason their way along methodically. This is the person who can’t explain how he thought of the solution, or where the idea for the story came from, or why suddenly he produced such a painting, or how he knew the short cut to the answer, but all he can say is he just knew it, he could feel it. This is the man or woman who makes million-dollar deals in a catnap and pulls them off the next day. This is the child who, having been reprimanded for blurting something out, is then praised for having blurted out something brilliant. These are the people who learn and know and do and go by touch and feel.

These people can feel a lot. In places where most of us are blind they can, if not see the light, at least feel the light, and they can produce answers apparently out of the dark. It is important for others to be sensitive to this “sixth sense” many ADHD people have, and to nurture it. If the environment insists on rational, linear thinking and “good” behavior from these people all the time, then they may never develop their intuitive style to the point where they can use it profitably. It can be exasperating to listen to people talk. They can sound so vague or rambling. But if you take them seriously and grope along with them, often you will find they are on the brink of startling conclusions or surprising solutions.

What I am saying is that their cognitive style is qualitatively different from most people’s, and what may seem impaired, with patience and encouragement may become gifted. The thing to remember is that if the diagnosis can be made, then most of the bad stuff associated with ADHD can be avoided or contained. The diagnosis can be liberating, particularly for people who have been stuck with labels like “lazy,” “stubborn,” “willful,” “disruptive,” “impossible,” “tyrannical,” “a space shot,” “brain damaged,” “stupid,” or just plain “bad.” Making the diagnosis of ADHD can take the case from the court of moral judgment to the clinic of neuropsychiatric treatment."

I cannot overemphasize how good I think this guy is, but I can't keep using large chunks of internet/blog space to to keep quoting him.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Letching Gray For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-12-17), ginniebean (01-12-17), stef (01-12-17)