ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-17, 11:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,030 Times in 10,154 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands: Promoting development of self-regulation

Yes, it's much harder to diagnose a pre-verbal child, but that doesn't actually
mean that the differences in the brain cannot be seen with the right tools.

The ability to diagnose this disorder is not perfected or standardized.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (01-13-17)
Old 01-12-17, 12:58 AM

Location: Floating around on a melting iceberg, north North America Canada
mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Yes, it's much harder to diagnose a pre-verbal child, but that doesn't actually
mean that the differences in the brain cannot be seen with the right tools.

The ability to diagnose this disorder is not perfected or standardized.

No human is born with the ability to self-regulate.

Inattentive, hyperactive and impulsive behavior are considered normal behavior during early toddlerhood because human self -regulation has normally not developed yet.

Point being...

..human implicit self-regulation normally develops in interaction with the environment between birth and the age of 3.

"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I
Old 01-12-17, 03:44 AM

Thanked 21,752 Times in 7,923 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Point being...

..human implicit self-regulation normally develops in interaction with the environment between birth and the age of 3.

This is true, but it will not develop along the normal path no matter what the interaction with the environment is, if that which causes adhd in the first place is present at birth. This does not mean environment is not important, it simply means environment doesn't cause adhd in the vast majority of cases.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-12-17), mildadhd (01-12-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-17, 04:07 AM

Thanked 21,752 Times in 7,923 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Inattentive, hyperactive and impulsive behavior are considered normal behavior during early toddlerhood because human self -regulation has normally not developed yet.

Point being...

That which causes ADHD interferes with implicit self regulation, that's why it shows up. I was diagnosed at 4 my symptoms showed up before my diagnosis. They problem was there at birth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-12-17), mildadhd (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 05:45 AM

Thanked 25,740 Times in 11,402 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Riding a bike with no hands.

Quote:
Nobody is born with developed self-regulation.

Nobody is diagnosed with ADHD before the age of 4.

My son was diagnosed at age 3.5.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (01-12-17), mildadhd (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 11:13 AM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Point being...

...human implicit self-regulation normally develops in interaction with the environment between birth and the age of 3.

Bolding added as this is the part I'm responding to.

In ADHD, self-regulation does not develop normally because of wonky wiring
or smaller lobes or unbalanced chemicals inside the brain.

The environment the child lives in daily can promote better development, or
can delay development even further.

But the child was born with a problem inside the brain before they were even
born.

Yes, children can develop something that is almost identical to ADHD if they
experience trauma during their early years, and that is a shame because it
could be prevented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
My son was diagnosed at age 3.5.
My granddaughter was 3.5 when I first took her to story time at the library.

The difference between her and the other children was quite noticable,

even the ones who were younger than her could sit still for a few minutes
without interrupting. She could not.

Back then I didn't know anyone but hyperactive little boys had this thing called
ADHD or I would have encouraged her mom to get her diagnosed.

Once I knew what the symptoms looked like, I realized a lot of her earlier
behaviors were recognizable ADHD traits.

Her self-regulation skills had always been delayed compare to her peers.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-12-17), mctavish23 (01-12-17), mildadhd (01-12-17), sarahsweets (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 09:42 PM

mildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond reputemildadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bolding added as this is the part I'm responding to.

In ADHD, self-regulation does not develop normally because of wonky wiring
or smaller lobes or unbalanced chemicals inside the brain.

The environment the child lives in daily can promote better development, or
can delay development even further.

But the child was born with a problem inside the brain before they were even
born.
We are born with more sensitive temperaments.

Interferes with normal development of implicit self-regulation.

"In the history of the human race, those periods which later appeared as great have been the periods when the men and the women belonging to them had transcended the differences that divided them and had recognized in their membership in the human race a common bond" -Haile Selassie I

Last edited by mildadhd; 01-12-17 at 10:02 PM..
Old 01-12-17, 09:58 PM

Our sensitive temperaments are more reactive to distresses.

(Distresses perceived or real).

We can epigenetically inherit our ancestors hypersensitive temperaments back 3-5 generations.

Old 01-12-17, 10:49 PM

Quote:
We are born with more sensitive temperaments.

Interferes with normal development of implicit self-regulation.

Yep, most who have ADHD are more sensitive.

But not all who are sensitive have ADHD?

Here's some interesting information on temperament and diagnosing ADHD:

http://www.livescience.com/46730-new-adhd-types.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (01-12-17)
Old 01-12-17, 11:42 PM

I wonder what we could learn about an emotionally hypersensitive temperament using emotional affective neuroscience personality scales?

Quote:
The brain's emotional foundations of human personality and the Affective Neuroscience Personality Scales.

Quote:
Abstract
Six of the primary-process subcortical brain emotion systems - SEEKING, RAGE, FEAR, CARE, GRIEF and PLAY - are presented as foundational for human personality development, and hence as a potentially novel template for personality assessment as in the Affective Neurosciences Personality Scales (ANPS), described here. The ANPS was conceptualized as a potential clinical research tool, which would help experimentalists and clinicians situate subjects and clients in primary-process affective space. These emotion systems are reviewed in the context of a multi-tiered framing of consciousness spanning from primary affect, which encodes biological valences, to higher level tertiary (thought mediated) processing. Supporting neuroscience research is presented along with comparisons to Cloninger's Temperament and Character Inventory and the Five Factor Model (FFM). Suggestions are made for grounding the internal structure of the FFM on the primal emotional systems recognized in affective neuroscience, which may promote substantive dialog between human and animal research traditions. Personality is viewed in the context of Darwinian "continuity" with the inherited subcortical brain emotion systems being foundational, providing major forces for personality development in both humans and animals, and providing an affective infrastructure for an expanded five factor descriptive model applying to normal and clinical human populations as well as mammals generally. Links with ontogenetic and epigenetic models of personality development are also presented. Potential novel clinical applications of the CARE maternal-nurturance system and the PLAY system are also discussed.
Copyright 2011 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21527289
Old 01-14-17, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Yep, most who have ADHD are more sensitive.

But not all who are sensitive have ADHD?

Here's some interesting information on temperament and diagnosing ADHD:

http://www.livescience.com/46730-new-adhd-types.html

Hypersensitivity alone does not cause deficits of implicit self-regulation.

Emotionally hypersensitive people are more emotionally reactive to the emotional environment.

It is the relationship between the internal emotional temperament and the external emotional environment.

Last edited by mildadhd; 01-14-17 at 01:39 PM..
Old 01-14-17, 02:03 PM

Quote:
In some people, there will be a greater concentration of developmental problems.

This may be because their specific circumstances were worse, or because they were more sensitive, deeply affected by conditions that others with more robust temperaments could better withstand.

They are the ones likely to be diagnosed with ADD or with some other disorder.

-Gabor Mate M.D., "Scattered", p 43.