ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-17, 11:50 AM
Jr Member

asalem is on a distinguished road
ADHD and fearlessness

I look back on my life and I can remember many incidents where I have shown fearlessness in situations that most NTs would run away from. For one, I am defiantly not the fighter type. But because I am willing to take risks, I can be seen as one. My best friend once told me I have this fast reflex and I am usually the first one to make a move when confronted.That was my past and I won't ever ride that path again. But I look back on my life and see that ADHD is the cause of this. I remember in one incident I was forced to drive down a dangerous street in the projects to get to my destination. I stopped at a gas station to fill up and someone stole 20$ from me. I followed the culprit down a alley and parked a block away then walked over to where I last seen him. It just so happened he was with his gang of about 4 or 5 people. Before I even thought about it, I just walked up to him and threatened him in front of his gang. They were shocked and felt threatened. That's when I decided it was time to run for it. I have read that ADHD people don't evaluate the risks before committing to something and that's exactly what I did. I just walked over to him without even thinking about the consequences. Anyone relate?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to asalem For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-09-17), Fuzzy12 (01-09-17), ginniebean (01-09-17)
Old 01-09-17, 12:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,718 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: ADHD and fearlessness

Thanks for sharing your experience. Scary.

I have a kind of fearlessness but not in the same way as you though I do believe it's also cause of my adhd.

People usually feel fear when the swim with giant whales or sharks. I don't feel the fear or it is fleeting at most, I actually feel a peace in a way.

My mind is always cluttered with thoughts and when I'm with a whale or a shark, the extreme stimulus makes it so the only thought in my mind is of that creature. It feels calming to only focus on one thought. They do say many of us do like extreme sports, I think for this very reason.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-09-17), ginniebean (01-09-17)
Old 01-09-17, 12:23 PM

Thanked 5,243 Times in 2,567 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

I fear things that I shouldn't and fearless of things that I should be. Put a knife to my neck and I won't even flinch. Give me a form to fill out and i'll have a nervous breakdown.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (01-09-17), ginniebean (01-09-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-17, 12:57 PM

Thanked 21,896 Times in 7,981 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I do the same. i once saw a cracked out really big man beating 3-4 skinny young teen boys. Before I could even think about it I pulled over in my vehicle and was out and shouting at him to leave them alone. He started coming for me and made threatening jestures and at that point I became afraid. however, I realised i could not stop or he'd go back and start beating these boys again and one was already inconscious. i told him he's a really big man and these are just little boys and to leave them alone. i don't know if it was the appeal to his ego, the shock of some strange woman shouting at him, or what but he just turned and started walking away. The boys were terrified but they did stop to say thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-09-17), Little Missy (01-09-17)
Old 01-09-17, 12:58 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 12,691 Times in 6,113 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

As a child and young adult what others found fearful, I usually found as extremely exciting.

Now, I get anxiety just thinking about daily activities.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-09-17), ginniebean (01-09-17), Little Missy (01-09-17)