ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 04-29-07, 11:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Should have stayed at home today.

It's one of those days. I'm only a mild case of ADD, but I have my ups and downs. Today was a down. Would you know it - in the middle of leading a meeting attended by a dozen people my brain gets side tracked to the point that I'm standing there for a while until someone says 'yes'. I 'snap out of it', and can't remember what I'm supposed to be doing or what I'm talking about.
This has happened on many occasions in the past, but I've managed to pass it off/joke it off/make a 'tired' excuse. This was one of the worst, because I hadn't met these people before and couldn't joke it off.

Anyone else experience this at work? How have you dealt with it? Did you cover it up? Do they know you're ADD?

Please ensure you have read the forum guidelines.
Alternatively you can discover the meaning of life.

Old 04-30-07, 09:48 AM

Thanked 3,789 Times in 1,932 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Well, if a much-in-demand doctor who is considered an authority on Tourette Syndrome and has ADHD does this and continues to be booked for lectures (one of the best explanations of the brain I've ever heard) does this, i.e. stops cold as he loses train of thought, then I think the rest of us who experience these "blinks" will just have to learn to deal. It was exactly these blips that made me feel a connection with another ADHDer and when I asked my non-ADHD friend who attended the lecture with me who the speaker reminded her of, she replied, "You, of course."

Phaedrus

Old 04-30-07, 10:17 PM

mijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to behold
Education.

I guess it all depends on education - if other people are aware of it and know it's side effects, then they can deal with it. The trouble with me is that I have inattentive ADD so I either look come across as: 1. Stupid/Dumb, 2. Bored, 3. Vague. Meanwhile, in my head I'm racing off somewhere..... Anyway, dammit I haven't the foggiest idea what point I was making.... but I'm sure it was good.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-07, 11:18 PM

Thanked 3,789 Times in 1,932 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Mijahe, I believe it has a lot to do with self-acceptance and experience. When I was younger, I would panic if I "blinked" in front of a group of people. Meds may have helped defuse the anxiety so I can gather my thoughts and get past the blink. Am I making sense?

Phaedrus

Old 05-02-07, 03:04 AM

You sure are. For me it was a fear of looking stupid. I knew I was smart dammit, but when I was put in the spotlight my brain just... dissappeared. My IQ dropped down to around 30. I couldn't think straight - even the basic questions was a strain. I hated that, and hated being in the spotlight because it made me look stupid.
Dammit, I wish I had meds to get me over that so that I could have thought straight.