ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-08, 07:35 PM
Forum ADDvocate

xraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud of
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk View Post
I tell people I get to know or want to know better, that I have it.. being the quiet type. I'm sure it's obvious anyway because it's pretty easy to catch me in a spacey act, but anyways I think it helps them understand that your faults aren't just rude or that lots of things you do aren't on purpose... Though it looks like an excuse most of the time, I hope my "excuses" get better on meds as I figure them out.... because I drive new friends crazy especially.... let's just say I come off quite *****y at times! Atleast 70% of those things I apologize for though.

What you said hits very close to home..my daughter is so different on meds..they she will often offend people because she seems grumpy..I have told her..you are 14..step out of the mood box..will yourself.
All things are possible..it takes a lot of work, but she is working on it. her biggest thing..she will sit slumping during a happy moment..and it goes right through me. Yes, I am hard on her..but i know her potential..and mine. Good Luck...I appreciate your honesty.
Old 08-02-08, 07:37 PM
Forum ADDvocate

xraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
I haven't known about my ADD for long, but the people I've met since I've known about it I dont really tell. I'd tell them if I get closer to them though!

The thing is, if I tell people I have ADD it's like showing off; like getting a trophy out and going "ooh by the way, look what I've got!" It's my super power and I dont want to be all big headed telling everyone 'bout it!

I like that..super powers..you are on to something!
Old 08-02-08, 07:37 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykill View Post
Awesome. Do you have a cape? We should get capes.

I want the pink cape!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-08, 07:38 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindspin View Post
Im not ashamed of my DX , no.... but it's nothing that I advertise.

Me either....thats what i was getting too!!!
Old 08-02-08, 07:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

vixthenomad has a spectacular aura aboutvixthenomad has a spectacular aura about

I have told most people I know that I have ADHD, but I try not to talk about it more than I have to. My employer knows and I'm currently in the process of trying to get them to understand the concept beyond the fact that it puts a tick in the disabled employee box for them (ie that it affects my life and that I need to adjust what I do to make room for it). My parents know and have not bothered to try to understand the condition or to help me in any way; in fact my dad actually told me that being a parent would probably cure me of it, which says it all really. Most of my friends try to evade the subject and just look uncomfortable whenever I mention it. The only person I can really talk to about it is my husband, who is fantastically compassionate and very patient; he's also dyslexic, which I guess gives him some insight!

It's really comforting to have found this forum and to know that there people in the world who actually get it, ecause they've GOT it, so to speak!
400 Lux (02-21-14), dresser (01-13-13), musiclvr2675 (03-23-12), SamTorDad (10-01-10), xraylady33 (08-02-08)
Old 08-02-08, 07:41 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post
My friends and family know. Other than that I don't discuss the details, and the world at large does not have a need to know.

ME

I have not even told my family....whats a gal to do!? they just think I am random, hyper, busy, and headed toward bigger and better things. It is my largest secret..wow did I just say that?

Last edited by xraylady33; 08-02-08 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-02-08, 08:34 PM
Contributor

MissAdhd is a jewel in the roughMissAdhd is a jewel in the roughMissAdhd is a jewel in the rough

I'm not ashame of it or anything like that. But i also don't want ppl to asume that i cant do something well or require specialattention to get jobs done.. so why tell anyone if i think it will bit me in the behind later
Old 08-02-08, 09:15 PM
Contributor

Mantis is a jewel in the roughMantis is a jewel in the roughMantis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I do actually have a cape with Praying Mantis head I painted on the back : D
Just incase you didn't believe me, I took a photo...

MANTIS WARRIOR!

Ummm, yeah...you can't see the Mantis head I painted on so well, so I got a close up of that...

Now I just hope to god no one I know looks on this site!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mantis For This Useful Post:
curseandablessi (08-07-08), Orcas_are_neat (04-01-09), Prusilusken (08-06-08), xraylady33 (08-02-08)
Old 08-02-08, 09:15 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAdhd View Post
I'm not ashame of it or anything like that. But i also don't want ppl to asume that i cant do something well or require specialattention to get jobs done.. so why tell anyone if i think it will bit me in the behind later

Thats the answer I was looking for...thank-you.

Last edited by xraylady33; 08-02-08 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-02-08, 09:21 PM
Contributor

mykill has a spectacular aura aboutmykill has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Just incase you didn't believe me, I took a photo...

MANTIS WARRIOR!
That's kick***... i already believed you, but thanks for the pics, awesome!
Old 08-02-08, 10:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,620 Times in 802 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute

My answer is pretty much the same as everyone else's.

While I'm not ashamed of my ADHD, it certainly is a private matter.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michiko74 For This Useful Post:
LisaJW (08-01-12), ndnbutterfly (09-09-08), roly poly (08-12-08), xraylady33 (08-02-08)
Old 08-03-08, 11:18 PM

walkingmedley is on a distinguished road

i decided to stop telling people just because their responses frustrate me. when i finally built up the courage to tell my boss "i have add" his response was a laugh and a "dont we all". i hear that a lot from people, it drives me crazy.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to walkingmedley For This Useful Post:
Anubis578 (11-19-10), jaaap (09-29-08), kwalk (08-05-08), lalapin (08-28-12), lwelizabeth (10-08-10), MissVail (03-15-11), Prusilusken (08-06-08), qhcowgirl (08-05-08)
Old 08-04-08, 12:33 AM
Contributor

MECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to allMECMR is a name known to all

I'm with everone else, only a few people know. My DH, a few close friends, my HR director (only because it came up when setting up my medical savings plan: "Why can't you do the mail in prescription plan? Controlled substances...what?"), and that's about it.

When I suspected ADD years ago, and had a tentative diagnosis, I told a lot more people, including my mother. My mother was not supportive at all, and so I just dropped it and stopped discussing it with her.

I have too much of my own stuff to deal with as I learn my way around this new way of looking at things, I don't have the energy to spare on defending myself to others who don't agree with the diagnosis and dismiss it. However, I will stick up for ADD in general, such as when I hear someone dismiss it as a diagnosis I will tell them why they are mistaken. However, I avoid discussing it on a personal level.
Follow this to the ADD Forums Get Fit Club:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=627682
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MECMR For This Useful Post:
Anubis578 (11-19-10), dresser (01-13-13), ndnbutterfly (09-09-08)
Old 08-05-08, 02:42 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

qhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of lightqhcowgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingmedley View Post
i decided to stop telling people just because their responses frustrate me. when i finally built up the courage to tell my boss "i have add" his response was a laugh and a "dont we all". i hear that a lot from people, it drives me crazy.

OH Gosh! THat makes me insane!!!

Get that one all the time.

A few people are pretty supportive but yeah, I hate that.
School is a society sanctioned torture system designed to rob people of their sanity and to give them a falsely inflated ego upon completion where one gets a piece of paper saying "I sat on my rear in crowded classrooms for x years and only spit up what they told me to". --me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qhcowgirl For This Useful Post:
Anubis578 (11-19-10), Prusilusken (08-06-08), xraylady33 (08-05-08)
Old 08-05-08, 12:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,901 Times in 2,443 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm I do discuss it with people but keep WELL away from the ADHD label, finding that describing the neurochemical and environmental issues sems to make people more accepting of my "differences" and my journey towards a fulfilling life.

Talking about it and also pointing out that the same issues can face people who have had a head injury leads to most (but not all) people taking on board the fact that admitting and discussing mental health should not carry the stigma it does.

I have found that blurring the edges between environmental, genetic and injury as reasons for my mental makeup has made it alot more difficult for people to be dismissive...... specifically because t leaves them WIDE open to ridicule by their peers who instantly see the link between belittling someone who has suffered an invisible brain injury and belittling someone who's lost a leg.

Once that link has been made it becomes increasingly difficult for the belittler to appear to be anything other than uninformed and crassly insensitive.

After all no one would give the time of day to someone who told a car crash survivor with a spinal injury to get up and walk because anyone can do it, and neither would they countenance being around someone who belittled someone with cerebral palsy for spilling a drink.

Speaking out about mental health is tough.... and when things are tough it pays to be smart about how one does things. Following my diagnosis I am now acutely aware of how people are influenced to regard those perceived to be "different" by the ill-informed and those with agendas and axes to grind.

Time and again I have felt that those who react most strongly against tolerance and acceptance of the differences in the human condition are those who feel most insecure and threatened by some deeply hidden imperfection in themselves.

I feel this could be why mental health issues evoke such strong responses, for every human knows just how tenuous is their own grip on "reality".

kilted
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
AprilSky (07-25-14), dresser (01-13-13), El Panzon Feo (10-25-08), faerielovely (10-26-13), jaybee03 (05-04-11), Pdx7217 (12-20-14), Prusilusken (08-06-08), qhcowgirl (08-05-08)