ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-08, 11:11 AM
Forum ADDvocate

DotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really nice
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotwithADD View Post
So we're HL!! Happy-Loopy!!! I agree, it's they're problem if they're going to assume!!!
Doggone it, I misspelled "their", instead of they're! Sheesh.. I know better than that... oh, well, it happens..!

SUCCESS COMES IN CANS NOT "CAN'TS"

Dx's: ADD, OCD,and MILD DEPRESSION, and occasionial generalized anxiety (minor)

Breast Cancer Survivor since 2005
Old 08-18-08, 09:58 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

justcallmedorie has a spectacular aura aboutjustcallmedorie has a spectacular aura about

Well. I told DH this weekend about the ADD and that my doctor and I are working with it. I didn't tell him I was on meds though, he's a bit "funny" about meds (sort of "old school"), but I think he understands. At least he didn't roll his eyes and say ADD is all in my head (well, duh, it IS in my head-LOL). It was a big load off my mind to tell him. I'm going to print some info on why I'm the way I am for him to read and hopefully understand even more.
Old 08-18-08, 12:10 PM

ADDmommy247 will become famous soon enough

I was diagnosed with I was 8 years old. When I was a kid I felt ashamed about it and did not tell anyone. Now as an adult I tell everyone. I feel that I tell people they will be more inclined to learn more about it and maybe be able to help someone they in thier lives that may have it an not even know.
DotwithADD (08-19-08), fairiegirl (05-23-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-08, 12:14 PM

ADDmommy247 will become famous soon enough

At least he didn't roll his eyes and say ADD is all in my head (well, duh, it IS in my head-LOL).

That is exactly what my DH thinks. It drives me crazy that I can not make him understand that I am not LAZY I just get distracted.
DotwithADD (08-21-08)
Old 08-19-08, 03:25 PM
Jr Member

Yasha is on a distinguished road

Now that I know I have ADD, I've mentioned it to a few friends. There are a couple people who dismiss it, but they don't understand how positive it is for me to know that I have ADD. I guess I don't have to mention that for some people ADD has many different kinds of bad reputations.

One former coworker didn't see it at first, but the more I talked to her, it made more and more sense to her that I have inattentive ADD. She mentioned that her son has ADD. She and her husband were hesitant about taking him to be diagnosed because of their own prejudices, but her son insisted. Being treated has made an amazingly positive impact on her son's life.

I will probably continue to mention it to friends, especially close friends, unless I get a lot of negative feedback. I really wish I had known more about ADD earlier in my life, so that I wouldn't have had to go undiagnosed for so long.

-- Yasha
The Following User Says Thank You to Yasha For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (08-24-08)
Old 08-20-08, 08:02 PM

djdragon7k is on a distinguished road

Hell yeah. i tell who i am with the most, which is my close friends and family and the co workers i see the most.

strangely though i haven't told my father, he lives farther away from me and a rarely have those wonderful father-daughter talks. to be honest, i've never had one of those talks. do you guys think i should my father about being adhd?
The Following User Says Thank You to djdragon7k For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (08-24-08)
Old 08-21-08, 03:17 AM

babelsgp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_a2002 View Post
This is interesting enough to make me log in again LOL...

My parents don't even know cause every time it comes up in conversation, it is the "you don't have it, you were just lazy" attitude.
My Father and step-mom thought the same thing 10 years ago when I was diagnosed. I wasn't allowed to say I was being hyper as a kid, they said you aren't hyper you are just active. Now my three brothers & my step-mom have been diagnosed. We'll see about my youngest sister. Sucks for my brother who is 24, because he had to finish college without the diagnosis and without the meds. I bet he would have graduated with a better GPA had he had it!

Oh and we, both husband and I, keep it to our very close friends and our families know. Work will know when it needs to know.

Last edited by babelsgp; 08-21-08 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add the answer!
The Following User Says Thank You to babelsgp For This Useful Post:
Anubis578 (11-19-10)
Old 08-22-08, 10:38 AM
ADDvanced Member

jmchamp has a spectacular aura aboutjmchamp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by babelsgp View Post
Sucks for my brother who is 24, because he had to finish college without the diagnosis and without the meds. I bet he would have graduated with a better GPA had he had it!

Oh and we, both husband and I, keep it to our very close friends and our families know. Work will know when it needs to know.
I feel for your brother, I was just diagnosed a month ago and I'm 26 already graduated from college. You come up with your own ways to blend in and make it by... but sometimes I really want to go back to college on meds and see how far I can actually go... Maybe grad school some day? Finally getting a desk job in my major was what really prompted me to try and figure out why I can't just focus and work like other people.

I've told my mom and step-dad... and a couple of close friends but no one at work so far, I don't want people to pre-judge me based on it. I don't know if I'll tell my dad, I'm almost positive he would just dismiss it, but sometimes you never know.
Old 08-22-08, 01:23 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

ndnbutterfly has a spectacular aura aboutndnbutterfly has a spectacular aura about

I was just recently diagnosed so only my family knows. We have random drug tests at work so it will come out sooner or later there, and I've told one of my co-workers (the one I talk to the most). I guess I'm afraid of the neg. reactions (if there are were to be any).

"Live like it's your last day on earth"
Hope does not disappoint!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ndnbutterfly For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (08-24-08)
Old 08-22-08, 01:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

justcallmedorie has a spectacular aura aboutjustcallmedorie has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnbutterfly View Post
Had to stop Wellbutrin with Strattera.
Just out of curiosity, why did you have to stop the Wellbutrin? I took both (have taken Wellbutrin for years for depression) and didn't have any problems with them together. Just that Strattera didn't do a whole lot for me and when I tried to up the dosage I got major fatigue...
Old 08-22-08, 03:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

jmchamp has a spectacular aura aboutjmchamp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnbutterfly View Post
I was just recently diagnosed so only my family knows. We have random drug tests at work so it will come out sooner or later there, and I've told one of my co-workers (the one I talk to the most). I guess I'm afraid of the neg. reactions (if there are were to be any).

My doc started me on Strattera too, I've been on it for a month. He told me that Strattera won't show up on drug tests as it is an NRI and not a stimulant. Just an FYI that you might not have to tell your co-workers if you end up sticking with the Strattera.
Old 08-24-08, 12:49 PM

griwei is on a distinguished road

Well, it may be that I have not been able to achieve the appropriate dose since being diagnosed a year and a half ago, but I pretty much tell anybody anything at the best and worst of times (unless really rushed or preoccupied). Informing someone that I have ADHD is just another fact I easily volunteer (from the colleague to the cashier). On the other hand, I am rushed and preoccupied quite often...

It may be because I have taught law students for over a decade now, but I actually enjoy the challenge of explaining the condition, especially to skeptics.
The Following User Says Thank You to griwei For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (08-24-08)
Old 08-25-08, 02:43 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,253 Times in 6,047 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just an FYI that you might not have to tell your co-workers if you end up sticking with the Strattera.
There is no reason to tell ones co-workers even if one takes stimulants! It is basically none of thier business - even with stimulant metabolites found if you are able to provide the MRO {medical review officer} with the proper information he/she verifies that you are on a medication legally then the drug screen results read;

" negative for illegal substances"

The HIFICA thing prevent exchanging your medical information with out consent - you consent when you sign that chain of custody form - however most standard chain of custody form you give permission to share weather or not any thing illegal is found in your system - Reading through any thing you sign is always prudent as different professions like the transportation industry will be different -

Remember if you have a prescription for stimulants you are legally taking a medication not some illegal street drug - there is a difference and it is important to remember this. . .

Unless you have to ask for special accommodation's for your job then there is no law saying you have to tell your employer either

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 08-25-08, 09:27 AM

ndnbutterfly has a spectacular aura aboutndnbutterfly has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcallmedorie View Post
Just out of curiosity, why did you have to stop the Wellbutrin? I took both (have taken Wellbutrin for years for depression) and didn't have any problems with them together. Just that Strattera didn't do a whole lot for me and when I tried to up the dosage I got major fatigue...

I was having really bad headaches once I started the Strattera and he thought that the reason was that I couldn't take the two together. Strattera isn't doing anything for me either. But I read on line the you can't take Ritalin and Wellbutrin together either (which might be the next med he wants to try).I can feel my depression coming back so i started the Wellbutrin again and havent' had a headache, so maybe it was just another side effect from the Strattera (I had a lot of them that first week). I'm still Majorly tired. Does that go away? I don't go back to my doc until Sept. 3rd.

Old 08-25-08, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmchamp View Post
My doc started me on Strattera too, I've been on it for a month. He told me that Strattera won't show up on drug tests as it is an NRI and not a stimulant. Just an FYI that you might not have to tell your co-workers if you end up sticking with the Strattera.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Are you doing good on the Strattera? I really don't feel like it's doing anything and I'm on the middle of my third week. I'm just so tired all the time. Plus working my desk job and then going home to three kids that need help with homework I just can't afford to be tired like the Strattera makes me.