ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-08, 09:40 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

justcallmedorie has a spectacular aura aboutjustcallmedorie has a spectacular aura about
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnbutterfly View Post
But I read on line the you can't take Ritalin and Wellbutrin together either (which might be the next med he wants to try).I can feel my depression coming back so i started the Wellbutrin again and havent' had a headache, so maybe it was just another side effect from the Strattera (I had a lot of them that first week). I'm still Majorly tired. Does that go away? I don't go back to my doc until Sept. 3rd.
I take Wellbutrin & Dexedrine. I've been on Wellbutrin for years for depression. I hated hated hated Strattera. I tried to not notice the side effects, figuring if I could get through the day I was doing fairly ok, but when it felt like it took my bones out and replaced them with jello, well, that's when the doctor had me get off of it. He had me try the same thing, less mg each time, 3 more times, supposedly to make sure it was the Strattera...everytime it gave me "jello legs". I've been doing great with the Dex and Wellbutrin. Good luck!
Old 08-25-08, 01:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

jmchamp has a spectacular aura aboutjmchamp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnbutterfly View Post
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Are you doing good on the Strattera? I really don't feel like it's doing anything and I'm on the middle of my third week. I'm just so tired all the time. Plus working my desk job and then going home to three kids that need help with homework I just can't afford to be tired like the Strattera makes me.
You're welcome for the info.

I've only been on it for a little over a month and the side effects do get much better, it still makes me tired but not too bad and it doesn't make me tired all day, just for a couple hours after I take it in the morning. You could ask your doc if it's alright to take it at night before you go to bed to try out, I know some people do that and I'm thinking about it too but I've heard some people can't sleep very well so we'll see.

Is the Strattera helping? Kinda, but not as much or in the ways I was hoping... I've noticed I don't jiggle my legs, play with pens taking them apart putting them back together clicking the clicker in meetings, that sort of fidgety stuff as much, so that is good I guess. I also find that being bored isn't as much torture as it used to be. When I'm waiting for a ride at work I swear I used to go insane waiting there for 5 minutes with nothing to do and now I'm on the Strattera I can just relax and wait, it doesn't bother me nearly as much. But that's about all I've noticed so far, I don't think it helps me concentrate on tasks all that much better, maybe a little bit.

I'm going to give it about 3 more weeks until this refill runs out and If I still don't think it's helping very much I might go off of it because I don't know if it is really worth it... the doc said to give it a fair shot, though, and I've heard it can take up to 6 weeks to notice any major changes. I'll probably ask him about a small dosage stimulant like Adderral XR to go along with the Strat to take as needed next time I see him.
Old 08-26-08, 01:16 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,343 Times in 6,093 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Moderator reminder - thread hyjackers please return thread

Please do note the topic of this thread is

Do you tell people about your ADD

Discussions about your medications need to take place in another thread and located in our general medication forum

Your cooperation is appreciated

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (09-20-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-08, 05:08 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

justcallmedorie has a spectacular aura aboutjustcallmedorie has a spectacular aura about
Re: Moderator reminder - thread hyjackers please return thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
Please do note the topic of this thread is

Do you tell people about your ADD

Discussions about your medications need to take place in another thread and located in our general medication forum

Your cooperation is appreciated
Whoops, sorry. I think I might have started that - didn't mean to threadjack...
Old 08-26-08, 02:14 PM

bonnemaman will become famous soon enough

DH knows, two very close friends know, and that's my max for the time being. I'm newly diagnosed even though I've been pretty sure I have ADD for a long time. In my mind for right now, I want to keep it private, but that may change the more I learn and the more I become comfortable talking about it with other people.

Definitely not informing my employer, or any co-worker. I will not inform my parents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bonnemaman For This Useful Post:
DotwithADD (08-30-08), xraylady33 (09-20-08)
Old 08-30-08, 01:13 AM
Forum ADDvocate

DotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeduser View Post
Capes WOULD be very COOL !!!

I was diagnosed almost a year ago now. It was like the end of August '07, so I just think of it as September. It took me until the end of December to tell my mom and dad. I told my closest friend in January. I told a handful more of my friends a couple months ago.

My sister still doesn't know. I'm close with my cousins, but still haven't told them. I haven't told ALL my friends yet ...

It's hard. It shouldn't be, but it is.

I'm trying to get an adhd website going to bring awareness, and also to serve as a place for information and entertainment for adders, but ... that means going public.

So ... eventually I have to let everyone know.

I've written stuff on there that nobody knows about me ... until now (or at least until they learn about the website). It's been a good source of therapy for me so far. I get to be creative, talk about the things on my mind, be open ... and it's forcing me to stop hiding under a rock and go public about who I really am (and about the adhd too).

The common response I've received after disclosing my adhd so far have been mostly disinterest and the "excuses" blah, blah, blah ... The disinterest bugs me. Sure, those who seem disinterested don't hold it against me, or look at me different, or anything bad ... it's just that I'd like to talk about it with some of them.

With my parents, it brings home a lot of the past and puts it in a new light. My father was diagnosed with cancer back in January, and I feel my adhd diagnosis is a good opportunity for us to shine a new light on our past relationship, and allow us to get closer (before it's too late). Especially in this situation, the adhd ISN'T about me, it's about US.

And my best friend is the perfect person to help me with things, such as positive reinforcement, keep me on track, talk through things, etc ... heck, we were hanging out in his garage one day (not long after my diagnosis, but before I told him), and a commercial about a study on adult adhd for a local college came on the radio, and as sincere as can be, he told me I should look into it, or at least go look into the possibility that I have adhd.

But ever since I told him of my diagnosis ... if I bring it up, the topic quickly gets swept under the rug and shifted to something else.

Telling people is hard.

Maybe it's hard for others to hear about it too. Maybe they just don't know how to react. It's not just adders who get uncomfortable in social/personal situations. We ALL do.

It's weird how tough relationships can be, isn't it?

PS - I know there's the "disability" protections and what not, but I recommend NOT telling your boss or co-workers, unless you truly believe you're in a friendly environment. Work is work. It's none of their business. And if you work in a corporate environment, just like high school, this type of information can come back and bite you!
I agree, I don't remember if I already said it... in my last post in this thread... (probably did), but of course, when being interviewed or even when working, I wouldn't say anything... especially now that I'm back on meds, it's been more than I week and I'm beginning to improve, again...

I did once share that thought that I suspected that I had ADD and told that person why (couldn't concentrate, got distracted a lot) and that person said, not necessarily, everyone has that problem. But he may have been trying to make me feel better.. or else he was trying to get me to quit telling a lot of people. But after I found out and was properly diagnosed, I did tell him that... but I don't remember what his response was. I guess if he did agree with me, he was afraid that he might have made me feel bad... and I might have said something like: "What" you're saying you think I'm crazy too?? So, I don't hold it against him, of course.

SUCCESS COMES IN CANS NOT "CAN'TS"

Dx's: ADD, OCD,and MILD DEPRESSION, and occasional generalized anxiety (minor)

Breast Cancer Survivor since 2005
The Following User Says Thank You to DotwithADD For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (09-20-08)
Old 09-06-08, 02:14 AM
Forum ADDvocate

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

Right now only my wife and sister in law know.I don't really feel a need to share it with anyone.I could tell my mother but anything I tell her eventually becomes something about her.I hate to say this but most of my family is either deeply self centered or psycho so I think I will keep this quiet.The only family I plan on telling is My in laws
The Following User Says Thank You to PookDo For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (09-20-08)
Old 09-06-08, 07:14 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
I hate to say this but most of my family is either deeply self centered or psycho so I think I will keep this quiet.The only family I plan on telling is My in laws
Are we related?
Old 09-08-08, 02:25 PM
Jr Member

Penny2007 is on a distinguished road

Close friends and family know, as do a few colleagues and others. It's not something I hide and am happy to discuss it if it comes up, but I don't tell people outright

I generally find that people are very interested and tend to identify with some of my symptoms
Old 09-08-08, 03:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of

This is something that I am going to be faced with very soon.

I moved back to Europe four months ago and have been doing some project work, but now I want to find a more steady job which is eventually going to involve telling or clamming up.

For now I am inclined to be open. Because, in my work, it does make a difference. They will notice soon enough and then it is definitely better to have been open. I mean - I cannot act as if I do not know - so that is not an excuse for me anymore. What's more .. if I am open about it, it may change their view on ADD; it may make it easier to "make a little room for it". People generally appreciate openness.

It is probably very important to explain a bit what it is right away, when you tell it.

Hmm, that poses another problem now I read what I am writing. I will have to have a good short 1 minute story about what ADD is, and why it should not let that stop that from hiring me ...

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 50 mg/d

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luthien For This Useful Post:
ndnbutterfly (09-09-08), sloppitty-sue (09-10-08), xraylady33 (09-20-08)
Old 09-08-08, 03:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

lollypop has a spectacular aura aboutlollypop has a spectacular aura about
Re: [b]Do you tell people you have ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAdhd View Post
I'm honest with those close to me.. the difference Meds have made in my life is pretty obvious..

But to those who are not in my close circle.. it's none of their business
This is very much the stance for me. I try to keep the balance between those who need to know and those who as you say its 'none of their business'

My mum for reasons I will never fully understand takes great joy in spreading word to the entire world that all her children are mentally deformed in some way or another and it infuriates us all equally. Before you ask no she doesnt use the word deformed but for how her advertising makes the rest of us feel she may as well lol

Its not that I have an issue with being ADD, but I do have an issue with the shear ignorance that so many hold on it and I already spend a great deal of time working on that ignorance in regard to my daughter, I dont have the strength to argue with peoples ignorance over me as well so I say nothing and those who dont like me continue to think I'm this agreesive loud overbearing person and I continue to think they can stick it lol
The Following User Says Thank You to lollypop For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (09-20-08)
Old 09-10-08, 12:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

Azkary is on a distinguished road

I tell the poeple I trust. But when I told my mom, I trust her a lot, she said 'well, you've always been this way'.

Up until now my hubby knows, my mom, siblings, an aunt, grandma and some cousins and frineds. I guess I was trying to prove that all the weird stuff about me had an explanation.

Although their reactions aren't what I expected. My aunt and mom think it's just an excuse for the doctoer to get me to buy pills...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azkary For This Useful Post:
4rch0n4n6313 (08-11-15), lilnana (09-17-09), xraylady33 (09-20-08)
Old 09-13-08, 11:14 AM

Jimmy_P is on a distinguished road

I may tell only if I work together, some form of trust has been established and there's a reason to tell. Primary reason being is that I may sometimes "drift" into passivity and may disappoint. I therefore prefer to tell so that IF it such behavior is noticed, their cooperation would be greatly appreciated.
evening booster: 5mg Dex with/or 10mg Ritalin IR
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy_P For This Useful Post:
DotwithADD (09-15-08), xraylady33 (09-20-08)
Old 09-15-08, 10:57 PM

bc1968 is on a distinguished road

I was dx'd about a month ago (40y.o.), and since then have told my wife, my in-laws, three (3) friends and one (1) of my two (2) brothers and his spouse.

I had told one friend because I have noticed similarities in our academic and professional histories. Knowledge is power.

I told one brother because it would seem to answer a lot of questions in his own life. I would of told him anyway; we're close.

Professionally, I have a career in Law Enforcement that would get pretty complicated opening up that can of worms. Though legal, the use of controlled substances would excite the ignorant. Thank God I don't get randomly tested. I do see an improvement in my overall concentration and I look forward to a better annual review. Do they have to know why it is improved?
As time progresses I will share it with my Dad-I suspect he has it-and I would of shared it with my Mom if she was still around. I wish she was because it would of hopefully answered why I didn't live up to my potential. I have some friends who I will tell the next time we see each other in person.

In a perfect world, others would view this disorder in the same way they would view diabetes or eczema. Until that time, I probably will wait until my speech at my retirement party.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bc1968 For This Useful Post:
RubberSoul (04-11-17), xraylady33 (09-20-08)
Old 09-16-08, 09:58 PM

Michellee7 is on a distinguished road

LoL.....sorry Mykill...i'm still laughing over that one! Capes......I don't know...it just struck my funny bone.....

But you have to admit....we are often treated different by people who do know and we find out later, they are closed-minded arrogant donutheads. And then its too late. I've made that mistake before. Telling someone so they could understand that I'm not stupid, just trying to grasp the concept they were explaining. I never heard the end of it. You do have to watch who you tell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michellee7 For This Useful Post:
DotwithADD (09-18-08), xraylady33 (09-20-08)