ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-08, 02:53 PM
Forum ADDvocate

xraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud of
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by runinl8 View Post
I don't tell people mostly because I don't like the uncomfortable feeling it gives them because they don't know enough about it. My son on the otherhand will tell anyone. He just says "I have ADHD, what do you expect?"
My daughter says the same exact thing, and to add to that....she will say, "oh I forgot my pills", so excuse me please I must be ADD at this moment.
Thanks for input.

The Following User Says Thank You to xraylady33 For This Useful Post:
pADDyjay (11-04-08)
Old 10-03-08, 08:09 PM

JeremyOH is on a distinguished road

I work in a sales environment. A new transfer is very open about his ADD--he's a wild one! After a few conversations, I started to wonder if I had it because we were so similar. I was just diagnosed at 31 years old and I told the rest of my team, and my boss (family knew the same day).

The crazy thing is another guy who's 37 started to freak out when I told him how I think, what I do, etc. You know how it is when you meet someone with ADD and they know all the little things, thoughts, etc. He has an appointment to find out for sure but I know he has it. My boss admitted he's always wondered if he had it.

I've been vocal, and I realize I shouldn't be now because some people react the same way *I* did. When I thought ADD, I thought about learning disabilities, kids playing too many video games, all of the stereotypes. I didn't realize how much larger ADD actually is. I thought my life was normal but I just couldn't act on anything. I guess I've been talking about it because it's the greatest discovery I've ever had in my life. I was totally wrong about ADD and I'm so grateful for the luck of having someone around me open my eyes and get diagnosed.
The Following User Says Thank You to JeremyOH For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (10-06-08)
Old 10-05-08, 05:40 PM

ADDdiva is on a distinguished road

Well, I don't usually HAVE to tell anyone...it is quite obvious. I do tell people close to me so that they understand that I am not blowing them off or ignoring them. But I don't run up to strangers and proclaim that I have ADD. Sometimes, I am hesitant to answer when someone asks about it. I don't like the disbelieving look they give when I do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADDdiva For This Useful Post:
pADDyjay (11-04-08), xraylady33 (10-06-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-08, 01:18 AM

theaddman is on a distinguished road

I used to, but not so much anymore. I am a 58 year old man, and when people hear "my ADD story", they just start to glaze over, or they sometimes laugh. And say stuf like man, for heaven's sake, have you not figured out how to manage your life YET??
annieoakley (06-19-09), chowmix (10-07-08), pADDyjay (11-04-08), xraylady33 (10-06-08)
Old 10-06-08, 11:18 PM

CityAtNight is on a distinguished road

I have only discussed it in depth with two people - my best friend, with whom I brought it up only about two years ago, and my therapist whom I've only started seeing a little over half a year ago. I've also made some "feeling-out" comments a few years back to my ex-longterm boyfriend. But since his reaction whenever I tried bringing it up were negatively dissmissive, I stopped trying to discuss it with him.

No doubt my secretive attitude about my ADD was initiated back in grade school when the label "daydreamer" followed me from teacher to teacher, grade to grade. I'm fifty years old, so this was back in the day before ADD would have been generally known about or suspected. I went through many instances back then of having teachers call me "daydreamer" in front of the whole class. This used to make me extremely embarrassed and angry. It also resulted several times in my being teased by other kids about it, which sure didn't help. My reaction to these episodes was to insist to myself that they were entirely wrong, and that there was nothing different about me than anyone else.

While this denial remained with me up until I was in my thirties, there were also many instances when I couldn't help but realize there was something neurological going on with me that wasn't "normal." Mainly, this used used to frighten me and further served to deepen my denial.

It has been only since my mid-thirties that ADD became a commonly discussed issue in newspapers, magazines, and on television. At first I dismissed that ADD might be what I'd been experiencing all my life. But as I learned more and more about it, I started realizing many of the symptoms described were ones I'd been experiencing all along. Still, I kept my suspicions to myself until fairly recently.

It took some very emotionally stressful situations over the past few years that have caused me to become depressed that finally, along with the understanding encouragement of my best friend, made me seek out professional help. So now I'm dealing with both my ADD and depression by gaining insight into some of my long held beliefs and my reactions to challenging situations, as well as working towards finding a medication that's right for me.

Since I seem to be having success with this, I must admit I regret not taking positive action sooner. But at the same time, I can definitely say it's better late than never.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CityAtNight For This Useful Post:
DesertDave (10-07-08), xraylady33 (10-24-08)
Old 10-18-08, 01:48 AM
ADDvanced Member

tnhybrid is on a distinguished road

I still haven't told my family. It's a long story, but I know they'll Google or use Wikipedia, find out it's hereditary, and accuse me of requiring THEM to be treated for it. I have a very non-supportive family when it comes to anything stressful or difficult, although actually they're wonderful in a lot of other ways.

Did tell another friend earlier today and was dismissed with the same "but I'm spacey too!" comments we all get...they just don't get it. It's not personal, but I'm v. glad we have this forum and there are support groups where we can all discuss our issues.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tnhybrid For This Useful Post:
honeymoonapples (10-24-08), Ravenna (11-11-08), xraylady33 (10-24-08)
Old 10-24-08, 01:41 PM

honeymoonapples is on a distinguished road

I Talk about it with people i trust or people i feel need to be enlightened on it...sometimes they are strangers (met through a friend or someone at a party or whatever). At work i only mentioned it to co workers and my supervisor who is also my friend. I wouldnt mention it to anyone else or before i was hired. There is a misunderstanding about it at large.
The Following User Says Thank You to honeymoonapples For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (10-24-08)
Old 10-25-08, 08:07 PM

amg7613 will become famous soon enough

My friends/family know...my job does not (HR knows I take a medication that can "throw off" a drug test--that's it--and it hasn't.)

I think sometimes people think it's fake--I'll get the "oh, you don't have ADD" or some variant. The NP I was seeing thought I was "shopping" for Adderall prescriptions (I was trying to change from a psych doc to a regular practioner for insurance reasons--so she didn't know when I had filled my last script). I stopped going to her, I take Adderall to help me get my work done without being in a constant state of worry/panic--not get high--and I need to see a doctor that is supportive and knowledgeable about adults with ADHD. Very upsetting.

All I know is that my medication makes me do MUCH better--I can do the things I think of doing--but actually follow through with them. I'm calm, rational, and focused--like I've always thought about being...my family especially has noticed.

LOL--sorry for the rant!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amg7613 For This Useful Post:
chowmix (11-04-08), xraylady33 (10-28-08)
Old 10-25-08, 08:43 PM
Contributor

Grey Kameleon has a spectacular aura aboutGrey Kameleon has a spectacular aura about

What I don't like telling people is that I'm on an SSRI (whenever I am on one). I don't want to be known as the guy who talks about his therapist. Unfortunately, a side effect of SSRIs that I've experienced is verbal diarrhea, so the first thing I do is tell everyone I know that I'm taking an SSRI.

As far as ADHD meds, I would be open about my diagnosis, but maybe not as open if I were taking amphetamines or something that other people might want, if you know what I mean.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grey Kameleon For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (10-28-08)
Old 11-03-08, 11:45 PM
Contributor

ADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of light

When my son was diagnosed with inattentive ADHD 6 years ago and my daughter shortly thereafter (age 20 at the time), I began to read everything I could get my hands on about ADHD. My son also had some friends with the hyperactive ADHD and i knew my husband fit the symtpoms but he didn't want to even consider the possibility. I joined several support groups and continued to read. Two years later, my husband was officially diagnosed. I saw a lot of changes in my children and husband when they went on medication. I had no problem discussing ADHD and my son's coaches (he played baseball and was an awesome pitcher) knew he had it. His focus was excellent when he was on medication and if he forgot to take his meds, people noticed the difference in his game. Not that he didn't still have talent but that "extra" something was missing. I taught my son to see medication as a tool to help him do his best, just as he wanted the "best" equipment to perform his best (a Kmart bat and glove wasn't going to cut it).

when I was diagnosed less than 6 months ago, I already knew a lot about ADHD. Now I could explain what it was like to have ADHD from personal experience. I have no problem telling anyone I have ADHD. I like to fight the stigma and myths about ADHD and help others to learn the truth about ADHD and how it affects someone. I have a high IQ (one of the reasons my ADHD wasn't as noticeable) and I knew a lot about ADHD so I could refute many of the myths that people believed. I love being able to help someone see ADHD in a different light.

My kids joke and say, "Don't get her started" because they know I could go on and on about ADHD, and that was before I was diagnosed. Ironically, I am basically a shy and passive person. But there are certain subjects that I'm passionate about and helping others who are struggling with ADHD and fighting the myths and stigma of ADHD is one of my passions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADDMagnet For This Useful Post:
lisa01 (09-26-12), stef (11-09-08), xraylady33 (11-07-08)
Old 11-09-08, 12:59 PM

warwickl is on a distinguished road

Quick answer. Yes. There are those who think you have ASD - attention seeking disorder. I am not religious, but Jesus had a great response - "Lord, forgive them, they know not what they do."
Amen to that.
I will deal truthfully in kind with others. If they can't return in kind, its their loss.
cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to warwickl For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (11-12-08)
Old 11-11-08, 11:32 AM

hondarider4life is on a distinguished road

i really dont have a straight forward answer for this topic but here goes nothing: i usually dont tell people i just met unless they guess for themselves. i dont really have that many friends; but the few i do have know i have it and dont really treat me any different. i usually dont tell employers unless it becomes glaringly obvious to them (i.e. job performance starts to decline; constant reprimands from management etc)
i dont like to go around announcing it to the world but i have found out that having this disorder does have its advantages in the workplace...... but i havent taken my meds today so my brain is all over the place and i cant remember what they were lol
The Following User Says Thank You to hondarider4life For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (11-12-08)
Old 11-11-08, 06:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

Honeybunnie8 will become famous soon enough

I have only really told my husband, maybe like 2 people like friends, and work. I work with mentally ill people and coworkers have issues also.. one is bi-polor, one depressed and who knows what else, and my boss is probably ADHD...so its not a big deal. They can tell if I haven't taken my meds, but I'll usually tell them when I get to work, after I remember anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Honeybunnie8 For This Useful Post:
pADDyjay (11-16-08), xraylady33 (11-12-08)
Old 11-11-08, 09:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ravenna has a spectacular aura aboutRavenna has a spectacular aura about

Not unless I absolutely have to. A couple of people know Im ADHD, but not that Im BiPolar. One gf knows. I dont even talk about it with my SO. I have a lot of shame, embarrasment and inadequacy issues revolving around my mental health and I just cant deal with the risk of seeing that look in their eyes that tells me Im defective and Ive failed to live up to whatever they want me to be.

ADHD - undx, BP rapid cycling - 40mg Paroxetine, 5mg Zyprexa
Solo Mum of:
J, 14, dx ADHD - 20mg Ritalin LA and
R, 10, dx ADHD - 40mg Ritalin LA, 10mg Ritalin, 100mcg Catapres

Next mood swing 2.5 seconds....
The Following User Says Thank You to Ravenna For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (11-12-08)
Old 11-11-08, 09:41 PM
Jr Member

Faery is on a distinguished road

I've had it published in two magazines (so far!)... so yes, I tell people I have ADHD .

I don't have a problem at all with others knowing, and when the articles were published (they weren't just about my ADHD - they were about me and the work I do - but my ADHD was a large part of each article) I got emails from people who had read the articles and who are dealing with their own challenges in life, telling me how my own story had inspired and helped them. Too cool!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faery For This Useful Post:
pADDyjay (11-16-08), xraylady33 (11-12-08)