ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 10-25-09, 11:55 PM

frustrADDed will become famous soon enough
Question Why is my doctor not raising my dosage?/Is Concerta exacerbating my ADHD?

So I was diagnosed not too long ago, left for school before I could get treatment at home from a center that specializes in treating ADD, and am now on Concerta which was prescribed by the only person at my school (who is only here two days a week) that is able to even prescribe meds. Anyways, they started me on Concerta almost two months ago and I'm extremely frustrated. I noticed a tiny tiny difference after starting on 18 mg, but that quickly wore off. They made me continue on 18 mg for another few weeks, and I didn't protest because I thought maybe they were only supposed to work a little, and I didn't have any side effects. They raised me again after I said again I noticed nothing after taking it, and I'm currently still on 36 mg after a month. If anything, I feel like I'm worse! I'm a sophomore in college, and although my grades were certainly dismal last year, I at least turned in papers on time and studied somewhat for tests. This year I haven't turned in a single paper on time, and I can't find the motivation to study until about 5 minutes before the test. I have more at stake this year too (I've been told that my freshman grades could potentially be disregarded due to my lack of diagnosis). Is this due to the Concerta? Or is there something in my subconscious that is making me even lazier because this diagnosis is almost an "excuse" for my behavior?

I'm just confused because I would notice a difference (albeit small) when I first started, and now I don't notice anything. I'm afraid to press the doctor about this though because I don't want them to think that I'm just trying to get more meds to sell or something (I understand their thinking, it is a college campus), and because I don't want them to think I'm lying (shouldn't it be working at least a little?!) Also, I'm still sleepy all of the time, but this might be due to the fact that I hardly have time to sleep, although I feel extremely sleepy in the middle of the day, and I "wake up" around the evening when my Concerta should be wearing off.

So basically my questions are:
1) Can I have a tolerance to Concerta after a little over a month? Or will it not work at all? (I also have experienced no side effects, although I have noticed a decreased appetite during the day but I get extremely hungry at night, but this isn't too major.)
2) Could Concerta make my ADHD worse?
3) Could Concerta make me sleepier?
4) This question is kind of off-topic, but might be related, but are there any food interactions that can "mess with" Concerta? Maybe something I'm eating is making it not work as well?

Anyways, I'm really stressed out and this has all been happening during midterms. I'm really scared too because now that I have my diagnosis, bad grades are "my fault" this time even if my ADHD is still not in control.

That leads me to a fifth question actually:
How long did it take you to find a working med combo? I'm getting really frustrated!

Congrats to anyone who just read all of this!
Old 10-26-09, 09:08 AM

The Trooper is on a distinguished road
Re: Why is my doctor not raising my dosage?/Is Concerta exacerbating my ADHD?

i didnt read it all... but i read a good part of it, and i am gonna tell you what happened with me, in a short ADHD friendly manner of course.

Started on 36mg, it worked great but soon woreoff, was upped to 54mg it was great but soon wore off, as did every other time it got increase until i was taking over 100mg daily AS well as 40mg of strattera.

that stopped working so i was upped the strattera to 80mgs then to 90 something

i am now only taking 18mg of concerta as it was found my concerta was working against my strattera and i feel great!

Cheers

-TT (was this of any relevance lol)?

ADHD? What do you mean I have ADHD? I just..
...Hey do you like waffles?
Old 10-26-09, 09:33 AM

frustrADDed will become famous soon enough

Thanks that is helpful! Were you taking Strattera the whole time you were taking Concerta? The only medicine I am taking is Concerta.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-09, 09:42 AM

The Trooper is on a distinguished road

no, i wasnt, i only went onto the strattera the beggining of this year, after i had been on concerta for 3 years, have u told ur Doc about this? because i can pritty much say to mine, i aint getting enough of X

-TT

ADHD? What do you mean I have ADHD? I just..
...Hey do you like waffles?