ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Exercise
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-04, 04:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

biker is on a distinguished road
Workout postings for all

I wanted to start a thread for those of us who want to workout on a regular baisis. I have found that being able to post what I am doing or my exercise goals has helped me a lot. Hopefully everyone will fill comfortable posting here wheather you are just starting or have been a long time exercise oriented person. This should be a thread where it is okay to try and fail. Any suggestions or thoughts on this are welcome. So I will start it off.

I am Jim and my form of exercise is riding a road bicycle. I have been riding off and on for over 11 years now. I never have raced other than group rides trying to keep up or pass others. I realy enjoy riding and have found that it really has helped my ADD in that I could think clearly when riding and be alone in a way.

Today I rode to work. I will ride home tonight. I had a good ride. I am in good shape right now. It was 7 miles and I will ride 7 miles home. I did a 40 mile ride on Sunday, but did not ride yesterday.
I am still trying to start doing crunchs, but have not started. this has been something I have wanted to do since March, but have not yet started.

Last edited by biker; 10-18-04 at 09:07 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biker For This Useful Post:
Electra2 (08-11-12), Layla771 (07-28-10)
Old 06-02-04, 05:31 PM
Contributor

88ssp will become famous soon enough
Y'know what Biking, this is a great idea. You would think that with umpteen years and 2 degrees in the exercise field that I would have thought of it. I will be chiming in very soon.

Maybe this will help me keep everything straight--i'm so pathetic. LOL

Last edited by biker; 10-18-04 at 09:08 AM..
Old 06-03-04, 12:19 PM

Rode home from work last night. I did okay. there was a pretty good headwind and I am haing derailuer prblems so I did not push as hard on the way home. The ride in today was very good. I had a nice tailwind so that helped. I was able to keep up with a guy ahead of me and pass him. I still did not do any crunches. I work on spinning on the way home. There will be a headwind on the ride home.

Ken glad to see you back in the forums!! Looking forward to your posts.

Last edited by biker; 10-18-04 at 09:09 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-04, 01:02 PM

Ian has disabled reputation
88ssp we will be looking for the thread! Excellent!

Jim take it easy out there. It's a wild place on such a light vehicle. Don't want to see you getting hurt.

You have the attributes of being really hooked into this biking thang.. lol It's wonderful to watch in my rich inner life.

The derailleur should not be troublesome. There are two screws on the rear if it's like I remember them. One moves the derailleur toward the hub and the other moves it away. By rotating the wheel when you are in a given gear you might be able to determine which way it needs moving.

By moving one or the other you will see that the action is simple and clear. The chain in the middle of the sprocket when in gear is what you are after.

I'd be careful not to consider why the thing has changed. If it was well assembled it's likely just a stretched cable. If the mount to clasp the cable is insecure you'll want to tighten that up too. Anyway I have visions of you slipping a gear on a hill and driving your pelvis into next week. Lets not go there. Please.. eheh I too am a man. < g >

The front derailleur looks different from the back but the same screws apply.

Cheers! Ian.

Cheers! Ian.
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 06-03-04, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the info Ian. I knew about the screws, but had only done a little adjustment. It is whacked out because I switched my back cassette. I will try to adjust it again. If not I bought it from a shop which does tune ups for as long as I own the bike so I will get it done there for free. Do not worry I know not to press to hard when I am have sliping problems. I do not want to go down on the bar believe me.

Last edited by biker; 10-18-04 at 09:09 AM..
Old 06-03-04, 06:06 PM

It's hard to know how much you are comfortable with mechanically. I don't mean to be awkward, but I succeed sometimes. < g >
Cheers! Ian.

Old 06-03-04, 06:34 PM

Its cool Ian. I had looked up in a book this AM otherwise I would not have known. I appreciate any mechanical advice you give. I would rather you give it and I already know it than have you worry about if I know it or not. I am a dork when it come to that stuff and any advice you give is much appreciated

Last edited by biker; 10-18-04 at 09:10 AM..
Old 06-04-04, 12:17 AM

gracias

Old 06-04-04, 12:38 PM

Well the derailuer is better. It does not slip anymore, but sometime I have to shift twice. My bike is ready for a tune up anyway so I will take it to the shop this weekend or next. I do not like the idea of not riding for the time it might be in the shop.

Beautiful weather here for riding the last 2 days. I wore no jacket on the ride in today. That is the first time this year. In the afternoon I do not need one, but in the AM I have needed it. I rode home from work yesterday and back in today. I had a guy pass me on my right and not say anything to let me know he was there. Thankfully I did not hit him. I used him to break the wind for me for part of the way home. I figured he owed me that It was easy to keep up. I had a fun ride in this AM. Saw a few riders, but no one to try and keep up with. I hope to do a long ride this weekend, but we will see.

Last edited by biker; 10-18-04 at 09:11 AM..
Old 06-08-04, 12:49 PM

I will try to keep this going as best as possible since I posted the thread and the idea.

I have another good couple of days riding. I was only able to ride 14 miles on Saturday do to time constraints. It was a very fun ride. I got caught in a huge downpour. I was covered with dirt from the road when I got home. I was able to easily maintain a 19-23 mph pace on the flats. I threw in a hill at the end and that made my average 18mph. I rode a 100 miles again last week. I have been doing that consistantly since March. I rode in again today. It was another good ride. I am in good shape. I was able to keep up with some good riders both days.

I was told by a friend I ride with occasionally that I am working to hard riding. He says I need to spin more. I know this is the case. That gives me something to work on for the future. I am better this year, but still need to work on it.

Last edited by biker; 10-18-04 at 09:12 AM..
Old 06-08-04, 01:41 PM

Sorry Jim I missed your post on the fourth. Periodically my browser doesn't pick up the "last visit" well and I end up missing a beat or two. Going through the forums manually is sometimes impractical for me.

That can be a scary thing when you are deep into a concerted effort and have someone come up close on you like that fellow passing you without warning. Pierrette scared the daylights out of me Saturday night in much the same manner.

I was cutting grass with the push mower and deep well into the second hour and lots of heavy breathing, when the car went by slowly two feet behind me. I jumped out of my skin for a second. I wear ear protection which didn't help to get any warning.

This year I've been tooting my horn three or four hundred yards behind cyclists just in case they don't hear me. There are many here whom look a little unsteady. I'm likely to be one of them if I get the bike out. Two of my kids are riding regularly for fun. Is that the knock of opportunity?

Spinning. I was telling my 15 year old about spinning when she had been on a three mile jaunt on the gravel on soft tires. Bonnie had jumped on the bike the following day to find she was a little tender on her seat. I have vivid memories of numbness in areas I want to engorge periodically. < g > Any suggestions as to a better approach. I had a book back in the days when I did this type of thing called The Custom Bicycle but it seems to be missing. That book had all kinds of info on how to set up the bike for your particular body. I thought it was set up well but maybe not. Any suggestions to check from you or anyone would be welcome. I have a feeling it's going to be a bit tender on my seat for a while too.

I think I mistook your idea about this thread. I had in mind that the other single thread we commandeered from Andrew ended up being dominated by a few rather than a drawing card to many. I thought that might have happened partially from my reluctance to start new threads. That's why I've been trying to start a new thread when I have something to say about my fitness. I'm no expert in the development of on-line communities so I stand to be corrected. I like the bike/exercise posts you make for many reasons. I don't know how to draw more people to the benefits of what we are doing in working our bodies. Or at least to post the struggles and victories as we have been. You might want to do what feels good and right for yourself as far at posting your progress and activities surrounding your fitness. I will be supporting the threads as you have done. I love it! I'm so grateful to have company.

I sure do believe quite strongly in the wisdom of this active approach. My conviction continues to grow.
Cheers! Ian.

Old 06-09-04, 06:05 PM

Yes I to beleive in the benefits of exercise. I do think that helped me to at least keep my head above water during the undiagnosed years.

On the seat they have a number out there that are supposed to help with that. They have a slot down the center of the seat that puts all the pressure on your b****. My rear does not get sore anymore. They say after riding a while your muscle build and you adapt to the hard seat.

I had a good ride home yesterday. I was able to easily keep up with a guy on a Lite Speed. I shifted into a lower gear and tried spinning more. That made it easier to keep up. The ride in this am was about the only good thing from early this am. I felt good. My friend who I rode with on the ride last week thinks I am leaning to far forward on my bike. We are going to try and adjust it tomorrow. Will see if that helps.

Last edited by biker; 10-18-04 at 09:14 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to biker For This Useful Post:
atrain (01-10-10)
Old 06-10-04, 01:49 AM

When I rode I eventually went to a rear cluster that was much closer in range so I could find just the right spin within my comfort zone.

I'll get the bike out tomorrow and have a peek at it to see how far it is from useable.
Cheers! Ian.

Old 06-10-04, 02:02 AM

big hard drive

Another big day for cardio. A big day for everything physical. I spent about an hour and a half at what 132bpm where 80% of max would have been 140bpm. I'll likely not know how hard it was until Friday. It seems as if it takes a couple of days to kick in. My heart seemed to recover quicker than I remember but I forgot to track the times.

I got three quarters of an hour in stretch, yoga, and physio type stuff. I'm making great headway on the flexability. I introduced three sets of ten push-ups (strict) and I couldn't have done one more. I took thirty seconds between sets to try and get ahead of the lactic acid burn. I'll be interested to see how that feels tomorrow. I'd like to start working my abdominal too. Slowly but surely I'll get there.

I like what's happening with food. I seem to be better able to tolerate being on the lean side of my intake. I'm still eating too much at a sitting. I'd prefer to be eating little meals more often but I can't seem to get the hang of that yet.

Tomorrow I'll haul my old bike down and see how far gone it is. The mare may get another go round if it's not raining.
Cheers! Ian.

Old 06-10-04, 12:17 PM

Good job Ian. It sounds like you had a very good workout! I need to do the stretching and adominal stuff as well.

Last edited by biker; 10-18-04 at 09:14 AM..