ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 12-11-10, 05:35 PM
Contributor

tweetiebirdk has disabled reputation
Can YOU adopt if Diagnosed ADHD & stayed in MentalHealth Hospital?

If you have had intreatment in a hospital for mental health problems that have resolved at time of adoption ,can you adopt down the line if you have been diagnosed as cured from resolvable issues ? If you had no specific diagnosis does that affect things if it is resolved as supported by psychs and docs. ?

If you dont get a diagnosis of ADHD (I have mild symptoms and probably wouldnt fit the whole diagnostic criteria based on symptoms) and you are completely better by time of considering adoption can you adopt.

Thanks for reading
Old 12-11-10, 07:37 PM
Contributor

Re: Can YOU adopt if Diagnosed ADHD & stayed in MentalHealth Hospital?

I have seperate mental health problems to ADDhd btw and its these aswell Im asking about. Some of which I am in the late stages of recovery from.
Old 12-11-10, 08:33 PM
Contributor

lynette19775 is just really nicelynette19775 is just really nicelynette19775 is just really nicelynette19775 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiebirdk View Post
If you have had intreatment in a hospital for mental health problems that have resolved at time of adoption ,can you adopt down the line if you have been diagnosed as cured from resolvable issues ? If you had no specific diagnosis does that affect things if it is resolved as supported by psychs and docs. ?

If you dont get a diagnosis of ADHD (I have mild symptoms and probably wouldnt fit the whole diagnostic criteria based on symptoms) and you are completely better by time of considering adoption can you adopt.

Thanks for reading
Well, I used to license and supervise foster homes and many of these parents were dually licensed to adopt children, as well.

Our foster parents had to get physicals at their doctor's office in order to become licensed.

Some of them did have mental disorders. As long as the doctor put "controlled by medication" they were not disqualified. I had a couple of parents with anxiety disorders and such. Although I'm sure much more severe disorders will be disqualifiers. By that I mean, psychopathy, certain personality disorders, etc.

But as long as the disorder did not interfere with their ability to nurture and parent children or if it was controlled by medication, they were still eligible.

Of course, they had to pass everything else, too. But just having a disorder did not automatically disqualify them.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-11-10, 08:56 PM
Contributor

thanks ,

I hope its something similar in uk and such.

I had eating disorder and a few more things but progressing in recovery. I had no personality disorders or anything that I believe should affect care of a child.
Old 12-11-10, 09:09 PM
Contributor

lynette19775 is just really nicelynette19775 is just really nicelynette19775 is just really nicelynette19775 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiebirdk View Post
thanks ,

I hope its something similar in uk and such.

I had eating disorder and a few more things but progressing in recovery. I had no personality disorders or anything that I believe should affect care of a child.
Nothing you have written raises any red flags to me. I don't know if it's different in the UK, though. But it sounds to me like you should have no problem. I wish you only the best!